U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 02:34 AM

6,998 posts, read 4,002,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Children not vaccinated put others at risk. I don't have a problem with this..
Yeah this.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:29 AM

6,382 posts, read 3,585,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL. You're right.

I've worked in 4 school districts and in various schools in each of those districts and never once was asked about these diseases.

Now I don't have a vaccination record because I never got the shots. I had all those childhood diseases when I was a child before the shots were invented. I did get polio shot though.

But I have been asked to get a TB skin test for several school districts.
The border states have higher incidences of TB compared to the other states.
51% of the TB cases in Texas (2013) were from "immigrants" (read that illegals).
I also had all those childhood diseases. The only shots I got as a baby were small pox and DPT (no boosters). They gave us the polio vax on a sugar cube in school. Can I prove any of this? Absolutely not. So, the last vaccination I got was in the 1950's.

Seven years ago there was a measles outbreak in the school where I worked. Four kids. Did they shut the school down? No. Did they tell the unvaccinated kids to stay home? No. I can tell you that for a fact since I worked 1:1 with an unvaccinated little boy. Did he catch measles? Nope.

The school sent letters home to the students about the outbreak, but they certainly did not demand that everyone get vaccinated or boosters.

A lot of younger teachers were in a panic and were rushing out to get their boosters. Those of us who had measles ourselves, jokingly were asking if they wanted us to disinfect everything for them.

Think about that. The vaccinated were terrified that they were going to catch measles. Those of us who measles as children were not concerned at all.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:58 AM

5,955 posts, read 5,307,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Kids with medical contraindications to vaccines get to go to school and receive the benefit of herd immunity. Yes, they might get a vaccine preventable disease, but having everyone in the community who is medically eligible for the vaccine take it, the risk that an unvaccinated person will get sick goes way down. Obviously, everyone is at risk for diseases for which there are no vaccines. That does not mean we should not prevent what we can

It turns out that most claims for religious exemptions are bogus, because most religions have no objections to vaccines. The Amish vaccinate. Even Christian Scientists allow vaccination. In fact, the Dutch Reformed Church is the only major religion which actually refuse vaccines. Christian churches that reject vaccines do not follow mainstream thought about it.

A review of religion and vaccinations

http://childrenshealthcare.org/wp-co...in-article.pdf

There was no "old DPT that was killing people". It caused more local reactions, and there was a risk of convulsions (about one in 1750 doses), but very rare serious, permanent neurological injury. The acellular vaccine was introduced in response to side effects, not deaths.

You apparently do not understand that children who do not survive childhood illnesses do not live to reproduce and become grandmas.

If we had a well matched vaccine and a vaccination rate of about 90%, we could stop flu outbreaks, too.

Flu and herd immunity: Getting the shot is as important for the community as for you | cleveland.com

Folks like to use the flu vaccine as an example to suggest vaccines do not work. The ever changing nature of flu viruses, the need to try to predict which strains to use in the vaccine, and the lack of a universal vaccine that will protect against all flu strains and not require an annual shot make protecting against the flu difficult. If the vaccine matches the circulating strains, it can be very effective. However, people have to actually take it for us to get the best results.

Some kids cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons and no vaccine works 100% of the time. It does not work at all if you do not take it. No one will force you to take a vaccine if you prefer the anti-vax, anti-science approach. The majority of us, who do vaccinate, just do not want your child in school.

Good grief. Vaccines have prevented more sickness and death than any other medical innovation in history. They are among the most tested and most closely monitored drugs on earth. You do not have to cure that which you prevent, which is what vaccines do: prevent sickness. Vaccines even potentially can completely eliminate an infectious disease, such as was done with smallpox and could be done with polio, which currently exists only where there is opposition to vaccinating for it.

Drug companies would make billions more on medications to treat vaccine preventable diseases than is spent on vaccines.

I am confused as to what your point is. Because people died from other causes, polio vaccination was unnecessary? That's a bit like saying because people drown we should not use automobile seat belts.

Yes, adults should be vaccinated, too, and for those with contact with children at school there should be no non-medical exemptions.

Your lack of understanding of herd immunity is glaring. Everyone in the community contributes to herd immunity: adults and children. It does not matter how immunity was acquired, whether by having the infection (such as all of us born before 1957 for measles, mumps, and rubella) or by vaccination.

The flu vaccine this year did not contain the strain that was most common. It is part of the nature of making flu vaccine. It does not mean that we should not vaccinate against flu. What we have is the best method until someone comes up with a better vaccine that works against multiple strains.
I was going to mention the Dutch Reformed Church. When I searched in the past I couldn't find any other religion against vaccines. All of the people that use religion as an excuse not to vaccinate I consider liars.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:53 AM

50 posts, read 93,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I also had all those childhood diseases. The only shots I got as a baby were small pox and DPT (no boosters). They gave us the polio vax on a sugar cube in school. Can I prove any of this? Absolutely not. So, the last vaccination I got was in the 1950's.

Seven years ago there was a measles outbreak in the school where I worked. Four kids. Did they shut the school down? No. Did they tell the unvaccinated kids to stay home? No. I can tell you that for a fact since I worked 1:1 with an unvaccinated little boy. Did he catch measles? Nope.

The school sent letters home to the students about the outbreak, but they certainly did not demand that everyone get vaccinated or boosters.

A lot of younger teachers were in a panic and were rushing out to get their boosters. Those of us who had measles ourselves, jokingly were asking if they wanted us to disinfect everything for them.

Think about that. The vaccinated were terrified that they were going to catch measles. Those of us who measles as children were not concerned at all.
My mom has said the same. She and her 4 siblings all had measles, mumps and rubella, chickenpox, etc...they all survived, said it was just part of growing up them. I've seen the charts showing where these diseases were going away on their own when the vaccine was introduced. Did the vaccine actually make much difference? I work in healthcare. A friend of mine who is a pharmacist states she will never get the flu shot. A fellow student in pharmacy school received her flu shot as dictated per the department. She went into anaphylactic shock and died. This could happen with any vaccine and has happened as scary as it sounds.

I know there are two sides to every story, and I can understand both sides to those pushing vaccines and those refusing them. Schools are a public institution and as such, should be able to exclude unvaccinated children (I am an RN and am required to have certain vaccinations or I cannot work). I think part of the government's hesitancy to mandate vaccinations is that parents of unvaccinated children will pull them out of public schools and the schools will lose funding (each child enrolled provides a specific amount of money to go to the school).

Old 04-25-2015, 09:18 AM

3,510 posts, read 2,949,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
Suzy_q, please stop with your science and facts. I find it offensive.
Whats funny is that some of the same individuals who were freaking about Ebola despite every medical authority instructing them to not worry, are in here spouting equally ignorant and uninformed nonsense about vaccines.

Some people just have major issues with science in general it seems.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:27 AM

17,446 posts, read 23,964,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
Totally for. If anything it doesn't go far enough. I'd favor that parents who don't vaccinate their kids have their custody terminated.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:37 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,700,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Whats funny is that some of the same individuals who were freaking about Ebola despite every medical authority instructing them to not worry, are in here spouting equally ignorant and uninformed nonsense about vaccines.

Some people just have major issues with science in general it seems.
While sad and quite serious for the people who had/have it, the Ebola reporting + Internet freakout was hilarious. They made it seem like we were facing the Zombie Apocalypse.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

Those who survived that is, and didn't end up with lifelong disabilities, impaired hearing...etc. If measles was a walk in the park like you seem so determined to get people to accept, there never would have been any need for a vaccine in the first place.

Quote:
The rest of the world hasn't been so fortunate. Last year roughly 250,000 people came down with measles; more than half of them died.
Currently the Philippines is experiencing a major measles outbreak that sickened 57,000 people in 2014. China had twice that many cases, although they were more geographically spread out. Major outbreaks were also recorded in Angola, Brazil, Ethiopia, Indonesia and Vietnam.
Measles causes an intense fever, coughing, watery eyes and a signature full-body rash. The disease is rarely fatal in developed nations with modern health care systems but can cause brain damage and permanent hearing loss.
Once the virus starts spreading among kids who haven't been immunized, it's very difficult to stop.

Quote:

"The measles virus is probably the most contagious infectious disease known to mankind," says Stephen Cochi, a senior adviser with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's global immunization division.

Measles Is A Killer: It Took 145,000 Lives Worldwide Last Year : Goats and Soda : NPR

Old 04-25-2015, 09:39 AM

13,046 posts, read 15,403,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agenias View Post
My mom has said the same. She and her 4 siblings all had measles, mumps and rubella, chickenpox, etc...they all survived, said it was just part of growing up them. I've seen the charts showing where these diseases were going away on their own when the vaccine was introduced. Did the vaccine actually make much difference? I work in healthcare. A friend of mine who is a pharmacist states she will never get the flu shot. A fellow student in pharmacy school received her flu shot as dictated per the department. She went into anaphylactic shock and died. This could happen with any vaccine and has happened as scary as it sounds.

I know there are two sides to every story, and I can understand both sides to those pushing vaccines and those refusing them. Schools are a public institution and as such, should be able to exclude unvaccinated children (I am an RN and am required to have certain vaccinations or I cannot work). I think part of the government's hesitancy to mandate vaccinations is that parents of unvaccinated children will pull them out of public schools and the schools will lose funding (each child enrolled provides a specific amount of money to go to the school).
I can see both sides too. I had measles, mumps, German measles and chickenpox. So did all my siblings and all my friends. Like you say, it was just part of growing up. I was a little too young to be required to have a smallpox vaccination, but my older siblings had it.

I have made it a point to NOT have a flu shot, but because of my job the last two years (healthcare) I was required to have it, even though I work from home. They also checked antibody titers for the childhood diseases to make sure I had had them.

I am more concerned about diseases that may be being brought over our borders from other countries than the usual childhood diseases.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
While sad and quite serious for the people who had/have it, the Ebola reporting + Internet freakout was hilarious. They made it seem like we were facing the Zombie Apocalypse.

It all comes back to the same thing. "What are THEY not telling us", the basis for pretty much all anti-science claims. "They are telling me not to worry about Ebola, why, because they don't want us to know how bad it is!"

"Oh sure, they want you to take vaccines, but they don't want you to pay attention to what is actually in them, back in my day, nobody took vaccines and nobody ever got sick, ever. Hence vaccines make you sick."

"GMO's, sure they want you to eat fake food so they can dumb you down and control you easier."

"Antibiotics, who needs antibiotics, its all a conspiracy by THEM, back in my day we got along fine with just colloidal silver and hopes and wishes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or