U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2015, 01:02 PM

87,010 posts, read 102,606,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You are not keeping up with the CDC.

It's now Tdap and Td will be phased out.
Where's the cite? I don't miss much, though honestly that wouldn't surprise me. The ACIP meets on June 24-25. Pertussis in on the agenda. They didn't discuss this at their meeting in Feb.
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/mee...in-2015-02.pdf

Old 06-09-2015, 01:03 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,515,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Well, whadda ya know? You go off to the doctor for no more that two hours portal to portal, including a stop at the grocery store, and the board explodes! I know suzy_q2010 has replied to some of this stuff, but I'm going to give my opinion too.

As has been explained to you more than once, more than twice, the ONLY vaccine that requires periodic boosting in adults is T(full-strenght tetanus)d(reduced diphtheria). Tdap is to be given ONCE per lifetime, with some exceptions.

Well, you're probably in pretty good shape then, as tetanus is generally given as Td. You may have had a Tdap at one time.

I call BS on the bold. I've never seen that, and I've worked a lot of grocery store clinics. I certainly don't want to give a flu shot to someone who doesn't want one. Sorry to burst your bubble.

For Ford's Sake! That's the problem with you conspiracists! Have YOU seen any such proposal? I haven't.

Having cherry pie for dinner tonight? Give a cite, which you conveniently left off b/c that's only part of the sentence.
I did if you go back a post or two. A link to the CDC site and the phrase where they said replace Td with Tdap.

Here's my original post which I referred to in subsequents posts:

Quote:
Because it's not lifelong immunity. The CDC recommends a booster every 10 years for the rest of your life.

Pertussis | Whooping Cough | Prevention | CDC
And here is the phrase from the CDC site:

Today there is a booster for preteens, teens and adults that contains protection against tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (Tdap).

The easiest thing for adults to do is to get Tdap instead of their next regular tetanus booster-that Td shot that they were supposed to get every 10 years. The dose of Tdap can be given earlier than the 10-year mark, so it is a good idea for adults to talk to a healthcare provider about what is best for their specific situation.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I did if you go back a post or two. A link to the CDC site and the phrase where they said replace Td with Tdap.

Here's my original post which I referred to in subsequents posts:

And here is the phrase from the CDC site:

Today there is a booster for preteens, teens and adults that contains protection against tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (Tdap).

The easiest thing for adults to do is to get Tdap instead of their next regular tetanus booster-that Td shot that they were supposed to get every 10 years. The dose of Tdap can be given earlier than the 10-year mark, so it is a good idea for adults to talk to a healthcare provider about what is best for their specific situation.
Which takes me to this:

The following recommendations for the use of Tdap (ADACEL®) are intended for adults aged 19--64 years who have not already received a dose of Tdap. Tdap is licensed for a single use only; prelicensure studies on the safety or efficacy of subsequent doses were not conducted. After receipt of a single dose of Tdap, subsequent doses of tetanus- and diphtheria toxoid-containing vaccines should follow guidance from previously published recommendations for the use of Td and TT (33). Adults should receive a decennial booster with Td beginning 10 years after receipt of Tdap (33). Recommendations for the use of Tdap (ADACEL® and BOOSTRIX®) among adolescents are described elsewhere (12)
Preventing Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis Among Adults: Use of Tetanus Toxoid, Reduced Diphtheria Toxoid and Acellular Pertussis Vaccine </P><P>Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and Recommendation of ACIP,

Now if you have some evidence that this has changed, please post a link instead of playing this game.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:19 PM

9,595 posts, read 5,804,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I have not said a thing that is untrue. The study that Thompson criticized has been reviewed and the original conclusions upheld. Nothing was ever covered up.

snopes.com: Fraud at the CDC Uncovered?

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...american-boys/

Brian Hooker, the person who outed Thompson, wrote an article supposedly reanalyzing the data in the original article. He mangled the statistics so badly that the article was withdrawn by the publisher.

How a Now-Retracted Autism Study Went Viral -- Again - ABC News

Again, do you think the study that Thompson criticized proves MMR does not cause autism in white boys or girls or black girls?
Considering we discussed this case as it unfolded, I am not surprised to see you buying into how it was spun and accepting without proof that there was nothing to Thompson's claims. I remember the conversation well. It was a cover up and watching it unfold has made people like me way less trusting of the CDC (who was complicit in the cover up) as well as some of the "science" supporting vaccinations.

Quote:
Dr. Paul Offit knows more about infectious disease, immunology, and vaccines than 99.99999999% of the people on the planet.
Dr. Offit also profits from the vaccines that he promotes. It's a huge conflict of interest.

Quote:
The article in the link was published in the flagship journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics. What makes that "an extremely baised source"? It includes 92 references, by the way.
Dr Paul Offit makes it biased. You know that already though.

Quote:
About Dr. Offit:

About Paul A. Offit, MD | Paul Offit

One of the honors he has received is election to the National Academy of Sciences.

Overview: Membership

"Members are elected to the National Academy of Sciences in recognition of their distinguished and continuing achievements in original research. Membership is a widely accepted mark of excellence in science and is considered one of the highest honors that a scientist can receive.
Because membership is achieved by election, there is no membership application process. Although many names are suggested informally, only Academy members may submit formal nominations. Consideration of a candidate begins with his or her nomination, followed by an extensive and careful vetting process that results in a final ballot at the Academy's annual meeting in April each year. Currently, a maximum of 84 members may be elected annually. Members must be U.S. citizens; non-citizens are elected as foreign associates, with a maximum of 21 elected annually.
The NAS membership totals approximately 2,250 members and nearly 440 foreign associates, of whom approximately 200 have received Nobel prizes."

Note that those members come from all scientific disciplines, not just medicine.
Good for him. He failed to do his reputation or his credibility any favors when he chose to profit from the same vaccines that he promotes.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the anti-vax side has Sherri "I am not a science researcher" Tenpenny and others like her with no credentials at all.
You are really big on credentials and attacking the source. It's funny how quickly the vaccine pushers turned on Thompson when he blew the whistle. People on your side also love to attack Jefferson who is very qualified to talk about vaccines because of his honesty regarding their limitations.

Quote:
Industry funding does not automatically mean bias.
Except for sometimes it does.
Quote:
Your assumption that all vaccine research is corrupt lands you square in the conspiracy theory camp.
Never have I said that all vaccine research is corrupt. Your claim otherwise makes you seem overly defensive and paranoid.

Quote:
Mississippi and West Virginia prove that mandates work - with no exemptions except for true medical reasons. They achieve herd immunity and prevent outbreaks.
The population of MS and WV differs from that of CA. WV and MS are hardly bastions of good health either. Lots of public health problems in those states. I predict the backlash in CA will be immense. CA is a whole different place.

Quote:
We have no desire to change your opinion on vaccines. We know you think you know more about them than Dr. Paul Offit. However, others reading this thread might give more weight to what Dr. Offit says than what you think.
If you have no desire to change my view, only try to force it down my throat then why do you even bother talking to me. You can put me in ignore. I never said I knew more then Offit, just that he is a biased source

Your tactics are going to fail to sway people. You're way too aggressive and you don't care to listen. You just want to force it on people. That rarely ends well.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:31 PM

1,170 posts, read 794,971 times
People could be "anti-seatbelt" because the risk of getting internal organ damage is possible in an accident. Cool. Still have to wear one if the law requires.

Anti-science people (anti-vaxx is too kind) use debunked science and their "spidey sense" to justify their fears, but EVEN IF they were right on the risks (and they're NOT), the benefits of vaccination greatly outweigh any risks (just like many mandates in society).

I am all for eliminating any "religious" exemptions - every child who can be vaccinated should be in order to be in public places. We force people to do lots of things and this is so scientifically sound that it's hard not to mock those that perpetuate these myths.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:52 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,515,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

Now if you have some evidence that this has changed, please post a link instead of playing this game.
I'm not playing any game here Kat.
I'm not one of the extremists here when it comes to vaccinations..ok ?

The booster was added because they found out that the vaccine wears off.
And it's a "current recommendation" because they aren't sure how long a "booster" will last.

And they would like to replace the various flavors of this vaccine with a single variation for everyone.

I'm not posting any links because I don't know what the list of sacred sites are other then the CDC itself.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:22 PM

18,110 posts, read 22,968,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
I'm for it. I remember kids who were paralyzed from Polio. Kids who got it before the vaccine was available.

If someone doesn't want to vaccinate their kids, fine. They can still home-school them.

Vaccines save lives. If you want to gamble with your kid, I guess that's your right. But keep him away from mine. That's how I'd feel about it if I had kids in school now.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I'm not playing any game here Kat.
I'm not one of the extremists here when it comes to vaccinations..ok ?

The booster was added because they found out that the vaccine wears off.
And it's a "current recommendation" because they aren't sure how long a "booster" will last.

And they would like to replace the various flavors of this vaccine with a single variation for everyone.

I'm not posting any links because I don't know what the list of sacred sites are other then the CDC itself.
Would you PLEASE give a cite for this? As far as I know, and as far as I can find out on a search, the recommendation has not changed from "one per lifetime" (with a few exceptions) to this once every 10 years that you're talking about.

I do not need a history lesson about Tdap. I probably gave one of the first doses in Colorado!

Old 06-09-2015, 03:03 PM

9,595 posts, read 5,804,602 times
Homeschoolers go to grocery stores, playgrounds, public swimming pools, churches, theaters, etc. Even when homeschooled, your vaccinated kids will still encounter the unvaccinated ones.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:14 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,672,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'm for it. I remember kids who were paralyzed from Polio. Kids who got it before the vaccine was available.

If someone doesn't want to vaccinate their kids, fine. They can still home-school them.

Vaccines save lives. If you want to gamble with your kid, I guess that's your right. But keep him away from mine. That's how I'd feel about it if I had kids in school now.
Your kids would be (and were) in school right now with Hep B infected kids, HIV+ kids, kids with lice, kids with the flu, kids with herpes... You want to ban them too or just the (healthy until diseased) unvaccinated ones?

Last edited by katjonjj; 06-09-2015 at 03:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or