U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 10:14 AM

8,546 posts, read 5,273,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Depends on where you are for the OPV vaccine withdrawl but I'll give you 2000. My kids had the live vaccine and were born before that.

That's why I sited it. It has nothing to do with Polio, nor is there a vaccine for it. Wash your hands and avoid close contact was the advice. Pretty hard to do at an elementary school. Her worries aren't erased by mandated vaccines.

A child who was injured from the OPV isn't any better off than the child injured from Polio. But, it seems it's not as sad for some people. Whew, only a vaccine injury, worth it! I keep telling you it's not worth it when it's your child.
Mandating means a child who the parents and sometimes doctor suspect the vaccine has injured them might have to go through another series of the offending vaccine if their medical exemption isn't accepted by the powers that be.
Imagine that. Wheeling your kid in for another round of what you are sure caused their injury. That must be difficult. I wouldn't do it.
I agree with you. As long as vaccines carry risk (obviously they are not risk free, no medicine is) they should not be mandated. People should be allowed to weigh risks and decide for themselves. Some of us here like to use more eastern style (herbalism, naturopathy, etc.) medicine then western (pharmaceuticals, vaccines, etc. ). I think it's wrong for one group to push their way on others in the form of mandates.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:20 AM

21,546 posts, read 26,155,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
A child who was injured from the OPV isn't any better off than the child injured from Polio. But, it seems it's not as sad for some people. Whew, only a vaccine injury, worth it! I keep telling you it's not worth it when it's your child.
This comment is offensive. No one here as ever said that vaccine injuries are not sad or "Whew, only a vaccine injury, worth it". What an absolutely heinous accusation to make!

Quote:
Mandating means a child who the parents and sometimes doctor suspect the vaccine has injured them might have to go through another series of the offending vaccine if their medical exemption isn't accepted by the powers that be.
Imagine that. Wheeling your kid in for another round of what you are sure caused their injury. That must be difficult. I wouldn't do it.
No one has to take a vaccine - any vaccine, at any time - if he does not want to.

If a doctor suspects the vaccine caused a problem, it should be no big deal to get an exemption.

If it is just the parents not being able to understand that what their child has, autism for example, is not caused by vaccines, no, they are not going to get a medical exemption. Parents who are "sure" the vaccine caused an injury when there is no evidence to support their opinion can still decline the vaccine.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:23 AM

21,546 posts, read 26,155,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I agree with you. As long as vaccines carry risk (obviously they are not risk free, no medicine is) they should not be mandated. People should be allowed to weigh risks and decide for themselves. Some of us here like to use more eastern style (herbalism, naturopathy, etc.) medicine then western (pharmaceuticals, vaccines, etc. ). I think it's wrong for one group to push their way on others in the form of mandates.
I suppose that you also oppose seat belt and motorcycle helmet and bicycle laws, too.

Your choice not to vaccinate creates risks for other people, which you continue to ignore. Not vaccinating is not risk free.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:24 AM

131 pages in and some still don't understand that taking away one's right to attend public school if they don't get vaccinated for everything the state says you need to get vaccinated for is vaccination by force.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I suppose that you also oppose seat belt and motorcycle helmet and bicycle laws, too.
I don't really have a strong opinion either way on those laws. I personally choose to always wear a seatbelt and when I ride my bike I choose to wear a helmet. What others decide to do is not my business. Putting a helmet on is not even close to the same as injecting one's bodies with chemicals, viruses, etc.

Quote:
Your choice not to vaccinate creates risks for other people, which you continue to ignore. Not vaccinating is not risk free.
Not even close to as big of a risk as you are trying to make it seem. We should have the right to decide if we do not want to get something injected into our bodies. You are over reacting and it's very controlling behavior to try and dictate what everyone else does. Life is not without risk and your fear and desire to control should not interfere with my right to choose what I put into my body. Ever heard the phrase, "keep your laws off of my body"? That applies to this.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:41 AM

85,025 posts, read 98,908,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
This comment is offensive. No one here as ever said that vaccine injuries are not sad or "Whew, only a vaccine injury, worth it". What an absolutely heinous accusation to make!

I too find that remark offensive, especially in light of remarks on this thread about "only" 500 deaths from measles pre-vaccine; flu being of little concern despite 142 deaths this season.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:42 AM

5,660 posts, read 3,204,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
They are serious. That's the sad part.

We don't use OPV in this country any more.

Those kids you're talking about did not have polio. There's no relation to polio. What is your point?

Once more: The only vaccine requiring boosters in adulthood is the Td/Tdap.
Katrina, you know very well there are other vaccinations for children after Kindergarten. Do you think that pre-teen girls who have not gotten the HPV vaccination should be kicked out of school? CDC also now requires that Tdap in the TEEN years, not just adulthood. Yearly, Flu shots.

I was addressing the issue of vaccinating children DURING their school years, not in adulthood. Should they be tracked and kicked out of school if they do not have ALL the vaccinations CDC recommends for CHILDREN.

Should a child be kicked out of school if their parents refuse to get them flu shots every year? I would love to hear you comments on this, which is what my post was all about.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:45 AM

85,025 posts, read 98,908,697 times
I don't believe HPV or flu is on the California list. CA currently requires Tdap for middle schoolers.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
I'm not an immunologist but as a mother I would balance the severity and level of contagion. HPV, probably not. Flu, might depend on the year.

I don't see tracking it as that big an issue - get it at school or provide proof.
The problem is that if there are laws manadating children must be vaccinated to be in public schools, it will mean ALL of them. I did not see any except for's in the California Bill or the Federal Bill being proposed.

That would mean that all pre-teen girls would be required to get that HPV, no opt out's in any of the legislation.

Eliminate the religious exemption for vaccinations some say. There is no religion that says that. Well, it IS a religious view of no sex before marriage in a LOT of religions. A case definitely can, and is, being made that the HPV vax is against a family's religion.

Re: vaccinating at schools for flu shots. My daughter's HS had over 1,000 students in NY. The budget was cut in Florida schools where I worked putting school nurses on part-time duty. Most days of the week the school didn't have a nurse around. So what? Staff were required to have CPR and First Aid Certification. Wonderful. Nurse will come in one the day and give you training on SEIZURES. What?????? Sorry, to get OT. No, the part time nurse wasn't going to be giving out any vaccinations in those schools. Subject for the Education Thread though.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I don't believe HPV or flu is on the California list. CA currently requires Tdap for middle schoolers.
Would or should those middle schoolers be kicked out of school if they didn't get that ONE vax? That is a booster, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or