U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 03:38 PM

8,541 posts, read 5,260,408 times

Advertisements

Should we also increase premiums for people who eat junk food? People who smoke? People who drive instead if walk? Or does the concern for human health as well as the desire to control others only go as far as forcing vaccines?

Old 06-12-2015, 03:44 PM

1,170 posts, read 747,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Should we also increase premiums for people who eat junk food? People who smoke? People who drive instead if walk? Or does the concern for human health as well as the desire to control others only go as far as forcing vaccines?
I think it makes sense to start with those decisions that impact other people significantly and have minimal interference with individual rights.

Smoking in public places, helmets on motorcycles, vaccinations for school children.

In terms of life insurance smoking is a factor. I am not aware if vaccination status in the household is a health insurance question for any private provider, but IMO it should be. Basic steps that take less than a minute to do and have a profound positive impact for other people make sense.

Vaccinations are a minor intervention in peoples' lives for life saving benefits.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:47 PM

21,476 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Default Australia provides incentives to immunize

Immunising your children

"To meet the immunisation requirements for the Family Tax Benefit Part A supplement you need to have your children immunised during the financial years that each child turns 1, 2 and 5 years old.

Children need to be up to date with immunisation or have an approved exemption. The National Immunisation Program Schedule specifies at what ages your child should receive certain vaccines. Most of the immunisations on the National Immunisation Program Schedule are linked to family assistance payments."

"To receive Child Care Benefit, all your children under 7 must meet immunisation requirements.

Your child needs to be up to date with immunisation or have an approved exemption. The National Immunisation Program Schedule specifies at what ages your child should receive certain vaccines. Most of the immunisations on the National Immunisation Program Schedule are linked to family assistance payments."

Old 06-12-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Immunising your children

"To meet the immunisation requirements for the Family Tax Benefit Part A supplement you need to have your children immunised during the financial years that each child turns 1, 2 and 5 years old.

Children need to be up to date with immunisation or have an approved exemption. The National Immunisation Program Schedule specifies at what ages your child should receive certain vaccines. Most of the immunisations on the National Immunisation Program Schedule are linked to family assistance payments."

"To receive Child Care Benefit, all your children under 7 must meet immunisation requirements.

Your child needs to be up to date with immunisation or have an approved exemption. The National Immunisation Program Schedule specifies at what ages your child should receive certain vaccines. Most of the immunisations on the National Immunisation Program Schedule are linked to family assistance payments."
Oh I like that!

Old 06-12-2015, 04:10 PM

5,644 posts, read 3,192,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, your Medicare will not be cancelled. Perhaps your premium should be increased, though, to cover the increased risk to yourself and others. Or maybe those who do vaccinate should get a discount. I like that idea better! Hey, maybe even a Federal and State tax credit for each fully vaccinated person in the family! I really like that one!

Well, some of us would not stand by and watch someone drown or burn to death without trying to do something about it, even if just by calling 911. We do not need for it to be a legal requirement. With regard to vaccines, you are not willing to even pick up the telephone, it seems. You not only do not want to vaccinate yourself, you do not want anyone else to do so. In essence, you watch someone drown and knock the phone out of the hand of the person trying to call 911.
Of course, calling 911 is not putting YOUR life in danger. Hello? Phone call to save another is far different than medical treatment to "save" another person.

There is NO Premium with Original Medicare, Part A. People can choose whether they want Part B, C, or D. So HOW would you increase Premiums for Part A which only covers hospitalization, not Primary Preventive Care, OR your vaccinations, Suzy? Do you seriously think a Senior having a heart attack going to an ER under Medicare Part A is going to be checked if they are up to date on their Pertussis vaccinations? ROLF When they recover, they CAN legally refuse any vaccination they want.

So many new LAWS needed to enforce adult vaccinations. WEEP!!!

Maybe these vaccination threads need to start another solely for Adult Vaccinations. Very, very different than Childhood Vaccinations, and the same laws do not apply.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

Maybe these vaccination threads need to start another solely for Adult Vaccinations. Very, very different than Childhood Vaccinations, and the same laws do not apply.
I actually agree, I'm much more concerned about childhood vaccines especially as it related to school and being together for the full day (similar to the very elderly in care).

I say start with childhood vaccines (like California is) and then address other vaccination issues as we go.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
I think it makes sense to start with those decisions that impact other people significantly and have minimal interference with individual rights.
I consider it extremely invasive to force children to get vaccines injected into their bodies. I consider the right to control one's own body to be one of the most basic and fundamental human or individual rights.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I consider it extremely invasive to force children to get vaccines injected into their bodies. I consider the right to control one's own body to be one of the most basic and fundamental human or individual rights.
That proposition is slightly misplaced, the kids aren't deciding, an adult is.

A parent is deciding to accept the risk of illness for their child (and others around them) instead of a quick needle. The child is unable to make an informed choice, parents are refusing to pay attention to the science (to the detriment of others) and so the law steps in.

Kids don't choose car seats or bike helmets either, we legislate their use because all the data shows they improve safety for those too young to choose.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
That proposition is slightly misplaced, the kids aren't deciding, an adult is.
The person who loves and cares for them more then anyone else, their parent.

Quote:
A parent is deciding to accept the risk of illness for their child (and others around them) instead of a quick needle. The child is unable to make an informed choice, parents are refusing to pay attention to the science (to the detriment of others) and so the law steps in.
It's not just a "quick needle though. Vaccinations are not risk free. There is science on both sides of the issue. It's not one sided. People should be able to weigh the risks and make decisions based on that info.

Quote:
Kids don't choose car seats or bike helmets either, we legislate their use because all the data shows they improve safety for those too young to choose.
Helmets and seatbelts are not even remotely as invasive as vaccines. If the state did not legislate those things, I'd still choose to buckle my kids up and help them put on their helmets. The comparison between the two (helmets/seatbelts vs vaccines) is not even close to being the same.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
It's not just a "quick needle though. Vaccinations are not risk free. There is science on both sides of the issue. It's not one sided. People should be able to weigh the risks and make decisions based on that info.
This is where we disagree. There's NOT science on both sides. There's science on the side of vaccinations and deeply held beliefs on the other side.

I agree people should be able to weigh the risks, since they're not apparently able to do so logically the government intervenes to protect others from the impact of that inability to weigh both the likelihood and magnitude of risks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or