U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 10:57 AM

1,170 posts, read 792,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I got pregnant on a trip to Wyoming, and again on a trip to Texas! Maybe it's travel that makes people pregnant.
Clearly travel is a risk that we cannot accept

All joking aside, these anecdotal "risks" that anti-vaxxers toss out need to be challenged. To blame a vaccine for a link to an illness that has NEVER BEEN PROVEN IN ANY REPUTABLE STUDY is creating the very risk this legislation is addressing.

It's important to challenge these myths each time so that those on the fence about vaccinating don't put their kids at known risk of childhood illness based on made up risks about vaccines.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:30 AM

86,915 posts, read 102,388,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post

Clearly travel is a risk that we cannot accept

All joking aside, these anecdotal "risks" that anti-vaxxers toss out need to be challenged. To blame a vaccine for a link to an illness that has NEVER BEEN PROVEN IN ANY REPUTABLE STUDY is creating the very risk this legislation is addressing.

It's important to challenge these myths each time so that those on the fence about vaccinating don't put their kids at known risk of childhood illness based on made up risks about vaccines.
Agreed!

Old 06-29-2015, 11:41 AM

15,264 posts, read 12,519,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
baaaaa....baaaaaaaaa...............baaaaaaaa...... ............baaaaa............
how dare you... many of us have our own stories and are seriously concerned..

Old 06-29-2015, 11:49 AM

9,580 posts, read 5,776,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
how dare you... many of us have our own stories and are seriously concerned..
I share your concern and I believe your story. I find it sad that those who push vaccines always discount stories like yours. I hope that the person "baaaing" was directing that at the people who are pushing vaccines and referring to humans as herd animals. The people who are in favor of eliminating exemptions.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:59 AM

15,264 posts, read 12,519,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Agreed!
no , not agreed at all... when foreign substances are put into a childs body, it needs to have a mature immune system to fight off some of the ingredients in vaccines.... Some experts suggest an immune system is not fully developed until a child is approximately 12-14 years of age, when they finally reach adult levels of antibody formation.

Thiomersal is a preservative which contains small amounts of mercury. Itís used to prevent the growth of bacteria or fungi in the vaccine. some companies have now removed this.....WHY? why do you think its been removed, what have they found out that we havent been told...

Old 06-29-2015, 12:31 PM

86,915 posts, read 102,388,879 times
Quote:
no , not agreed at all... when foreign substances are put into a childs body, it needs to have a mature immune system to fight off some of the ingredients in vaccines.... Some experts suggest an immune system is not fully developed until a child is approximately 12-14 years of age, when they finally reach adult levels of antibody formation.

Thiomersal is a preservative which contains small amounts of mercury. It’s used to prevent the growth of bacteria or fungi in the vaccine. some companies have now removed this.....WHY? why do you think its been removed, what have they found out that we havent been told...
The removal of ThimerosAl is an example of "darned if you do, darned if you don't". Much research has shown that thimerosal, in the amounts used in vaccines, is safe. https://www2.aap.org/immunization/fa...inestudies.pdf However, due to pressure from parents and concerns that vaccine levels might decrease if parents didn't immunize d/t false concerns about thimerosal, the FDA had thimerosal removed from vaccines. So now, people say "Why did they remove it if thimerosal is safe?"

All kids put foreign substances in their bodies all day, every day. Food is a foreign substance. And before you fire up your keyboard and say "that's different", how do you think the nutrients in food get utilized? Many parents, both those who immunize and those who don't, are ga-ga over this "hygiene hypothesis" and allow their kids to play in all kinds of dirt. This dirt gets in their bodies, too, by way of putting hands in mouth, in eyes, in the nose. Sometimes kids eat dirt directly. Heaven knows what kinds of heavy metals, etc are in some piles of dirt.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-29-2015 at 12:41 PM..

Old 06-29-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I share your concern and I believe your story. I find it sad that those who push vaccines always discount stories like yours. I hope that the person "baaaing" was directing that at the people who are pushing vaccines and referring to humans as herd animals. The people who are in favor of eliminating exemptions.
I absolutely discount "stories" in favour of science and medicine.

It's unfortunate when children get sick, and I'm sorry about your son's ticks, but other than a coincidence of the timing I'm willing to be there is no scientific evidence to correlate the vaccine with his condition. If there is, please post that as it would be of interest to me.

I can see in your circumstance why you might want to see a connection, but the evidence of any risk does not support the known risk of childhood pandemics. To be clear, I believe that your son was ill, I believe it was horrible for your family and that you must have been really worried. I don't believe (in absence of specific medical evidence) that one anecdote in any way supports not vaccinating all healthy children to prevent the KNOWN and extensively documented risks of the diseases we vaccinate against.

Quote:
no , not agreed at all...

what have they found out that we havent been told...
There is no conspiracy. You simply are unwilling to read, understand and process the extensive scientific data.

I truly believe that any individual that is not relying on science or who is not themselves a trained immunologist (and no, your chiropractor and naturopaths are not immunologists) and who is giving medical "advice" including to avoid vaccines should be held fully liable if their opinions lead people to not get vaccinated and therefore fall ill. There needs to be accountability for pushing people to accept risks of life threatening diseases based on "feelings" instead of facts.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I absolutely discount "stories" in favour of science and medicine.

It's unfortunate when children get sick, and I'm sorry about your son's ticks, but other than a coincidence of the timing I'm willing to be there is no scientific evidence to correlate the vaccine with his condition. If there is, please post that as it would be of interest to me.
Yes and I find it really short sighted and sad. I take both scientific evidence and parent stories seriously and take all information into account when making these kinds of decisions for my own kids. There actually are scientific studies that correlate vaccinations with tics. I believe that poppy posted some info on this up thread.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Yes and I find it really short sighted and sad. I take both scientific evidence and parent stories seriously and take all information into account when making these kinds of decisions for my own kids. There actually are scientific studies that correlate vaccinations with tics. I believe that poppy posted some info on this up thread.
Can you please post the reputable scientific evidence you rely on? (Again, I do NOT consider opinions of naturopaths and chiropractors as equal to peer reviewed, hospital audited immunology studies). I wouldn't put something INTO my child based on anything other than a physician specializing in the field, nor am I willing to expose my child to a life threatening illness based on someone's "opinion".

Do you take seriously every story that a parent posts about their healthy child that does NOT contract a life threatening disease because of vaccinations? The trouble with giving credence to parent "concerns" is that there are millions of healthy kids because of vaccines, and a handful of anecdotes about children's health concerns that occurred within weeks or months of vaccines. In the vast majority of these cases, those illnesses correlate with the age of onset of that illness and the vaccination is irrelevant.

I must have missed poppy's post, what number was it in the thread? If it was the thread related to Tourette's there is NO evidence that vaccines cause Tourettes that I'm aware of, but I'm always interested in science and capable of changing my mind if the evidence exists.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Can you please post the reputable scientific evidence you rely on? (Again, I do NOT consider opinions of naturopaths and chiropractors as equal to peer reviewed, hospital audited immunology studies). I wouldn't put something INTO my child based on anything other than a physician specializing in the field, nor am I willing to expose my child to a life threatening illness based on someone's "opinion".

Do you take seriously every story that a parent posts about their healthy child that does NOT contract a life threatening disease because of vaccinations? The trouble with giving credence to parent "concerns" is that there are millions of healthy kids because of vaccines, and a handful of anecdotes about children's health concerns that occurred within weeks or months of vaccines. In the vast majority of these cases, those illnesses correlate with the age of onset of that illness and the vaccination is irrelevant.

I must have missed poppy's post, what number was it in the thread? If it was the thread related to Tourette's there is NO evidence that vaccines cause Tourettes that I'm aware of, but I'm always interested in science and capable of changing my mind if the evidence exists.
You can search the thread for poppy's post if you are truly interested. I don't recall what number the post was. It is possible that her post was in a different thread related to vaccines.
Here are some studies related to thimerosal and tics which is what dizzy posted about.
Thimerosal exposure in infants and neurodevelopmental disorders: an assessment of computerized medical records in the Vaccine Safety Datalink. - PubMed - NCBI
Thimerosal exposure in infants and neurodevelopmental disorders: an assessment of computerized medical records in the Vaccine Safety Datalink. - PubMed - NCBI
Thimerosal exposure in infants and developmental disorders: a retrospective cohort study in the United kingdom does not support a causal association. - PubMed - NCBI

There are also many accounts from parents reporting facial tics after getting the chicken pox vaccine and the flu vaccine specifically. Feel free to discount them if you'd like, I won't. I take ALL concerns seriously. I'm not biased in that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or