U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 11:15 AM

1,112 posts, read 805,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
How do you know what is in the vaccinations??? would it not be simpler if BEFORE people were let in from third world countries THEY WERE given vaccinations??
Would it not be simpler if Ebola laden people were not bought into a healthy population??

So every one should be vaccinated and spend billions of dollars for it, instead of VETTING/vaccinating people for a few thousand dollars BEFORE THEY BRING some disease into a nation that was VIRTUALLY FREE of diseases. Your priorities are backwards.
Are you speaking to me? If you read other comments they all differ from one another. I simply posted an article and asked for what others thought.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:17 AM

8,546 posts, read 5,273,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Sorry? As a rule, society isnt meant to cater to every paranoid delusion out there.
Forcing people into getting certain medical interventions so that you can feel safer is a perfect example of a law created out of fear. Congratulations.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Forcing people into getting certain medical interventions so that you can feel safer is a perfect example of a law created out of fear. Congratulations.
I do not believe it is a matter of feeling safer. It is a matter of health.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:23 AM

3,510 posts, read 2,798,855 times
Quote:
Forcing people into getting certain medical interventions so that you can feel safer is a law created out of fear.
Not fear, just basic common sense. Once again, nobody is being forced into anything. Don't want vaccinations? Homeschool your kids, or buy a big plot of land out in the middle of nowhere and start an anti-vaccination colony, go wild, be as natural and disease ridden as nature intended but dont expect society as a whole to yield public health concerns to a small minority of conspiracy theorists.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:39 AM

27,294 posts, read 11,408,877 times
Quote:
Many people are though. People who can't afford to stay home and homeschool their children, for example are being forced. Do parents who are not allowed to have access to public schools still have to pay taxes for something that they are denied access to?
then vaccinate your kids, or move to Somalia where there are no laws..I don't care. This whole anti vaccination thing was brought about by one faulty study and then blown up to what is by the certifiable nut job Jenny McCarthy. I don't know about you, but I trust my family doctor more than I do a bimbo whose claim to fame included posing nude in Playboy magazine. If it was up to people like you we would probably have kids coming down with smallpox and polio so that your 'rights' could be protected.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:15 PM

8,546 posts, read 5,273,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
then vaccinate your kids, or move to Somalia where there are no laws..I don't care. This whole anti vaccination thing was brought about by one faulty study and then blown up to what is by the certifiable nut job Jenny McCarthy. I don't know about you, but I trust my family doctor more than I do a bimbo whose claim to fame included posing nude in Playboy magazine. If it was up to people like you we would probably have kids coming down with smallpox and polio so that your 'rights' could be protected.
It's very unfortunate that people like you continue to buy into the false idea that people who don't vaccinate do so because they are listening to people like Jenny McCarthy.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:30 PM

21,549 posts, read 26,166,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you in Kuwait.
Genetic link to autism found, known as CHD8 mutation -- ScienceDaily

Scientists link 60 genes to autism risk - CNN.com

Genetics play a bigger role than environmental causes for autism The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

Scientists Implicate More Than 100 Genes In Causing Autism : Shots - Health News : NPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Doctors that don't recite the company line face tremendous pressure. Some have faced medical license suspensions (that right there speaks volumes).

When you have to suspend people that have differing opinions, you are trying to control the information.
Doctors need to have valid scientific reasons to deviate from the "party line." Those that do need not fear censure. Those that do not, like Wakefield, deserve to lose their licenses.

There is no room for opinion in science. Just facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
How do you know what is in the vaccinations??? would it not be simpler if BEFORE people were let in from third world countries THEY WERE given vaccinations??
Would it not be simpler if Ebola laden people were not bought into a healthy population??

So every one should be vaccinated and spend billions of dollars for it, instead of VETTING/vaccinating people for a few thousand dollars BEFORE THEY BRING some disease into a nation that was VIRTUALLY FREE of diseases. Your priorities are backwards.
Measles has been eliminated in the US. Not all vaccine preventable diseases have been, including whooping cough, for example. You seem to think that third world people do not get vaccinated for these diseases. They do, with some countries having vaccination rates the same or even higher than the US. The person most likely to bring measles to the US is a returning American, such as the people who started these outbreaks:

Measles Outbreak In Ohio Leads Amish To Reconsider Vaccines : Shots - Health News : NPR

Texas Megachurch At Center Of Measles Outbreak : NPR

I agree that people who come into the US should be required to be vaccinated, especially against measles, but that includes American citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
IF VACCINES ARE SO GOOD WHY WOULD THIS BE THE CASE??

Answer please...
If you read the entire thread before posting you would know the answer to this. There are babies too young to be vaccinated and others who have medical contraindications. No vaccine is 100% effective, so a small number of vaccinated people are still susceptible.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:31 PM

9,871 posts, read 8,024,724 times
I'm for it. The law does not criminalize the practice of not vaccinating a child for non-medical reasons; its provisions are reasonable to protect the general welfare. It is not a violation of the 14th Amendment. Nor does this law violate and provisions of the First Amendment, as the consequences of not vaccinating a child for non-medical reasons do not prevent the parents or child from holding the beliefs that led to this practice. Finally, even if it does have a chilling effect on the right to hold these beliefs, the benefits to society are greater than the consequences to the parents and child. In the end, it is perfectly reasonable and empirically demonstrable to argue that the parents are harming their children, but we don't have to go that far in this case.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
It's very unfortunate that people like you continue to buy into the false idea that people who don't vaccinate do so because they are listening to people like Jenny McCarthy.
Then please share where those who choose not to vaccinate find their information?

There is science and data that supports vaccination and anyone of us can easily pull a credible scientific article or journal to share. What science and data supports likewise? If you are unable to provide anything, then we are inclined to believe perhaps you did listen to celebrities.

Last edited by jabber_wocky; 04-26-2015 at 12:45 PM..

Old 04-26-2015, 12:35 PM

27,294 posts, read 11,408,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Genetic link to autism found, known as CHD8 mutation -- ScienceDaily

Scientists link 60 genes to autism risk - CNN.com

Genetics play a bigger role than environmental causes for autism The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

Scientists Implicate More Than 100 Genes In Causing Autism : Shots - Health News : NPR

Doctors need to have valid scientific reasons to deviate from the "party line." Those that do need not fear censure. Those that do not, like Wakefield, deserve to lose their licenses.

There is no room for opinion in science. Just facts.

Measles has been eliminated in the US. Not all vaccine preventable diseases have been, including whooping cough, for example. You seem to think that third world people do not get vaccinated for these diseases. They do, with some countries having vaccination rates the same or even higher than the US. The person most likely to bring measles to the US is a returning American, such as the people who started these outbreaks:

Measles Outbreak In Ohio Leads Amish To Reconsider Vaccines : Shots - Health News : NPR

Texas Megachurch At Center Of Measles Outbreak : NPR

I agree that people who come into the US should be required to be vaccinated, especially against measles, but that includes American citizens.

If you read the entire thread before posting you would know the answer to this. There are babies too young to be vaccinated and others who have medical contraindications. No vaccine is 100% effective, so a small number of vaccinated people are still susceptible.
great post! By the way, my relatives in France claim that a good number of kids labeled autistic in the US are not autistic at all but instead are victims of over indulgent, permissive parenting and as a consequence - lack self control
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or