U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2015, 05:53 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,155,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I was talking about funding when there are less students. If there are less students and the school gets less funding.. teachers laid off etc.
As long as they still pay, I don't care.
It's up to the government to allocate it. All they need to do is change how schools are funded. Problem easily solved.

Quote:
Go to the thread about it and you will see my critique of that article. The woman supposedly died months ago but we are just hearing about it now right after the CA bill passes...
Anyone who dies of measels is news.
If someone gets polio the poop's really gonna hit the fan. I mean REALLY hit the fan.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:54 PM

1,170 posts, read 747,863 times
Quote:
I didn't mean taxes but where those taxes are allocated.

Like this: As vaccine bill advances, parents threaten to pull kids — and thus funding — from schools

If parents really wanted to, they could fight the billl by homeschooling and affect many other people through less funding.
In most areas property taxes still fund schooling even when kids are homeschooled. The schools save $ because they don't actually have to educate the kids. A quote from that article:
Most public school districts depend on state funding — at least $6,000 per student. However, many school districts in areas with high property values receive relatively little state funding, and actually could financially benefit by drops in enrollment.

“I think pulling students out of school for whatever reason only hurts the students being pulled from class,” said Benjamin Picard, superintendent of the Sunnyvale School District.

It would not be harmful to schools or the state financially. Such a boycott would not be financially harmful to the Sunnyvale School District,” he said.

It will be interesting to see if parents on the fence now vaccinate.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:59 PM

28,118 posts, read 24,646,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Jim Carrey, the most trusted name in medicine.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:00 PM

8,542 posts, read 5,264,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
In most areas property taxes still fund schooling even when kids are homeschooled. The schools save $ because they don't actually have to educate the kids. A quote from that article:
Most public school districts depend on state funding at least $6,000 per student. However, many school districts in areas with high property values receive relatively little state funding, and actually could financially benefit by drops in enrollment.

I think pulling students out of school for whatever reason only hurts the students being pulled from class, said Benjamin Picard, superintendent of the Sunnyvale School District.

It would not be harmful to schools or the state financially. Such a boycott would not be financially harmful to the Sunnyvale School District, he said.

It will be interesting to see if parents on the fence now vaccinate.
Schools get funding depending on how many kids are enrolled. They don't get extra if kids who could be enrolled are not enrolled. More homeschoolers will absolutely reduce funding for the schools.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:09 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,921,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
can you explain why autism rates are rising so fast. By Joanna Walters, New York6:43PM GMT 28 Mar 2014
The number of children diagnosed with autism is soaring in America and more girls are now being identified as suffering from the disorder predominantly associated with boys, according to a new report.
One in 68 young people in the US is now identified as suffering from conditions on the autistic spectrum, an increase of 30 percent from just two years ago.
When I was young, I never knew any 40+ year-old men who fathered children. Now it's commonplace. There was no such thing as older couples having treatments to help them give birth to a child when nature failed them. They adopted or remained childless. Now it's commonplace to have everything from hormone treatments to in vitro fertilization to having a fertilized egg carried by a surrogate, especially with people who postponed marriage until they were over 30. That could certainly be a big reason if the supposition is true that older sperm is a cause.

It's not just my observation/opinion that today's mothers are older than they used to be. U.S. census statistics show the mean age of mothers for first births in 1970 was 21.5 years of age (average age 24.5 for ALL births). By 2010, the mean age of mothers for first births had risen to age 25 (average age for all births was 28). Today in both England and the U.S. the average age of a woman giving birth is now 30 years old. Meaning there are MANY women over 30 giving birth and one would assume that the fathers are just as old, if not older.
http://iom.nationalacademies.org/~/m...F0904F850.ashx

In my parents' generation (1950s) most men and women were married and well into having kids by the time they were 25. Even then, I'm sure there were autistic children. The name (diagnosis) just didn't exist. I could name you some kids I went to school with I'd bet my life savings would get an autism diagnosis today. Back then, they were just considered to be "odd" and teachers had them in a classroom along with kids who had far more normal skills. People just coped. Today, everyone expects their children to excel and if instead they appear to be outside the norm, then it MUST BE FIXED. I'm not saying that's a wrong attitude, but two generations ago people's idea of normal children seemed to be a little broader than it is today.

To me, that statistical information alone explains an explosion in the numbers of autistic children. Add to it that the diagnosis of "on the autism spectrum" expands every year and you've got what people want to call an "epidemic."

Old 07-03-2015, 06:19 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,795,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Sorry, but not everyone blindly follows the government because the government supposedly knows best. We have religious objections to certain vaccines, and CA won't allow those anymore. Therefore, our kids would be home schooled in this states. Forget freedom of religion. (Children don't have to go to school in order to connect with their peers.)

The actual amount of religions that prohibit vaccination are far and few between. People like to make up religious exemptions where none exist and the courts have frowned upon this, in a recent court case in New York the Court found that parents suing for religious exemptions didn't have any ground to stand on.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
If we are still in CA when we have school aged kids (hopefully not), we'll have to home school. We aren't anti-vaccine but are anti-certain vaccines and anti-government mandating things they have no business mandating. This legislation is going to force people who are opposed to only certain vaccines to home school, even if they don't want to. It will force a parent to not work, even if that money (especially in such an expensive state) is vitally important for the family. It will force families who really shouldn't be home schooling to home school. It is not good legislation, no matter what the rabid pro-vaccination at all cost crowd wants to say.

That is an adult's job, to make the tough decisions for their family. If you're so opposed to vaccination that you opt to undertake homeschooling your kids, more power to you.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
So true. It's terrible legislation and there will be backlash.

Fortunately society is starting to care less and less about what a small minority of paranoid misfits thinks. The "backlash" won't amount to anything, just expose the flat-earth society for what they are and let parents know which families they should keep their kids away from.

When all the fearmongering about these new policies falls flat, I predict you'll see them pop up in more and more states in the near future.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:29 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,921,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
As I mentioned earlier, chemicals used in the home for cleaning and personal use are also the culprits.. full of junk and should be taken off the shelves... even baby products have dangers.. take my advice and change to other brands of safer toiletries and cleaners.

New Study: Autism Linked to Environment - Scientific American
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
My daughter is convinced it's caused by pesticide and GMO...she's really fanatical about feeding her son non-processed organic foods and only uses "natural" detergents and cleaning products in her house. He's had all his vaccinations, but their ped'ian staggered them over several months.

Before conceiving him, she ate organic herself for months...what a health food nut she was ...
If people want to think those things, I don't argue with them. But a couple of generations ago, very few people worried about healthy eating or avoiding chemicals and there were (by the admission of these healthy eaters and chemical avoiders), FAR fewer autistic children. So how can that be?

I was raised in the 1950s, a time when most people would agree there were far fewer autistic children. Yet, a belief people lived by was "better living through chemistry," the motto of DuPont. The majority of adults smoked multiple packs of cigarettes per day. Nuclear power was welcomed. We had no filters on coal-fired energy plants. The rivers were filthy with run-off from steel mills, factories, and mines. Ground water was polluted. Air quality was FAR worse than it is today. As for eating, people consumed more fried, canned, fatty, and chemical-laden foods than they do today. People never heard of the evils of saturated fat, white sugar, GMOs, gluten, additives like food dyes, the over-use of sodium etc., etc.

You could have called mine The Twinkie Generation. We the first ones to spend our childhoods sitting in front of televisions consuming foods that people run away shrieking from today. Yet by the accounts of many, far fewer people were autistic. Go figure.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:34 PM

15,630 posts, read 8,749,121 times
Quote:
The article being propaganda is just wrong whether measles or some other political agenda... don't you want to see truth or just any trumped up story they want to feed you?

Also, I have always been curious if someone like you who is immunocompromised relies on others to not sneeze on them or do you take your own precautions?
I'm happy the story is being publicized, if only so that I am aware of the the potential for measles infection in the absence of rash. The truth in that story, at least for me, is that people in my position can contract measles and get extremely sick without the obvious external symptoms. That's important for me to know. Your truth is that it's being used as propaganda. I understand why you would see it that way, but it's not the most important aspect for me. There are a huge number of immunocompromised people in this country. We should know about this particular risk.

As for how I handle being immunocompromised, it's definitely changed how comfortable I am in large public gatherings, and everyone in my family has had the recommended vaccinations plus the seasonal flu shot to help protect me. But, no, it's not possible for me to live in a bubble. I take great pains to exercise good hygiene, which helps prevent the nuisance infections that plague many families with children. Thankfully, I've been mostly free of respiratory illnesses over the past three years. A friend of mine who takes similar drugs has not been so lucky. She catches everything her kids drag in from school and has been miserable as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or