U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 06:04 AM

3,510 posts, read 2,929,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
So the only Children protected from Vaccines are those to can afford to put their children in Private School.
Unfortunately for the Flat-Earth Society, the only way to avoid vaccination requirements, whether for public or private school, other than for those with medical exemptions is to keep their kids at home.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:51 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,426,254 times
I think it's fair. For those of you who desire to be a public health threat: home school your children or form your own vector school, have chicken pox parties, eat gluten free food, and have a ball.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:13 AM

6,266 posts, read 3,528,831 times
Washington woman who died of measles WAS vaccinated | Daily Mail Online

Interesting points not disclosed by our media. She contacted measles from another patient at a health facility. Since she never developed the measles rash, it would not known until an autopsy was performed that she had measles. The medications she was taking weakened her immune system so her measles vaccination from childhood was not effective.

I think something similar happened with a NYC woman who worked in a theater. She also had been vaccinated, but never developed the rash. So she continued working, and spread measles to others, until she was hospitalized for other symptoms.

The NY Media was calling her Measles Mary because she did not know that she had measles. I believe one report had said that she had traveled to the Philippines and caught it there.

My questions? What medications, how many, can cause a break down of the immune system, so previous vaccinations will not be effective? Who has a compromised immune system? Do all people who do know they do?

It makes me wonder about my husband. Six hospitalizations, including heart attack, in five years. He takes two pages worth of medications. Despite getting a shingles vax, he still got shingles. At the time, I immediately thought that all those procedures and medications, caused him to have a weakened immune system. You could probably add the STRESS factor from all of that also.

Does he THINK he is immune compromised? No. Point? So if all the US children are vaccinated, they will protect people like my husband? He is still working, and has gone on several business trips overseas, where childhood vaccinations are not mandated. No contact with children for a business trip? He had dinner at a client's home with his children.

Think about this. Think about NYC Measles Mary. Perhaps even the patient who gave the Washington woman measles. Had that person been overseas too?

Think about all this when you talk about vaccinating every single child.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:14 AM

11,948 posts, read 16,665,065 times
You get out of it what you put into it. I went to an exceptional public school and walked out fluent in Spanish, conversational in French, and well prepared for one of the top universities in the country. Others who went to the same high school grew up to be anti-vaxxers complaining about the public school system because they apply the same lazy pseudo-intellectualism to their research about vaccines as they did their public school education.

I have no fear that the public school system in California will collapse. Certainly a handful will pull their kids out, but most will go with the easy way out - sort of like how they went the easy way learning about vaccines by reading sites like NaturalNews and blogs written by people with zero scientific knowledge.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:35 AM

768 posts, read 583,862 times
More info on the story at :
Icing store manager shamed woman for carrying sick daughter, 5, in baby carrier | Daily Mail Online

It looks like the manager had a lot of other nasty things to say, and even went so far as to say the child was riding in a "monkey backpack" and to say that women such as the offended mom should, "watch your damn kid, keep them strapped in a stroller, leave them home or better yet DON'T Become a Parent!!!"

As a mom myself, I can't blame her for being mad. You work hard trying to be the best mom that you can, and some total stranger slams you on a public Internet forum like that, and suggest that you're not qualified to be a parent? The way I see it, that mother was taking a stand against an Internet bully.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:40 AM

7,479 posts, read 5,751,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Just goes to show how many actors and celebrities have no ability other than an ability to act.

No thanks, Jim. I'll take my medical advice from a doctor not from a Hollywood clown.
Agreed.

The idiocy is staggering. Vaccines have saved countless lives, but thanks to a mix of conspiracy theory lunacy and grossly misapplied religions nonsense, we're sliding backwards into the realm of disease and death.

The religious part of this I find particularly infuriating. NOWHERE in the Bible does Jesus or anyone else recommend that people avoid medical treatment. Heck, one of the gospel writers (Luke or John, I believe) was a doctor! But thanks to some crazy delusions that "god only heals through miracles," we've got religious nuts avoiding medical treatment... because it's apparently okay to risk the lives of others with compromised immune systems because of misguided Biblical interpretations. It's not right and it is certainly not Christian.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:51 AM

9,562 posts, read 5,742,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
What kind of question is that? Do I like living in fear? Huh? I have an autoimmune disorder, one that is successfully treated with immunosuppressant drugs! I absolutely do need to know that a measles infection could lurk undetected, because I will not show the classic symptoms.

I have every reason to be very afraid of this possibility, and you should thank your lucky stars tonight that you don't. That you would intentionally hide this story from me because you have some hang-up about propaganda leaves me no choice but to question your humanity.

My fear is quite rational. Yours? Not so much.
Since you have an autoimmune disorder wouldn't you be upset if the county that you lived with held information about a measles outbreak and death in your county. Wouldn't you be upset that they didn't name the clinic. Wouldn't you want to know if you had been at the same clinic at the same time. Why did the media wait to report this death. How did the media even get the info for their story that has zero details?

Old 07-04-2015, 07:53 AM

3,510 posts, read 2,929,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Agreed.

The idiocy is staggering. Vaccines have saved countless lives, but thanks to a mix of conspiracy theory lunacy and grossly misapplied religions nonsense, we're sliding backwards into the realm of disease and death.

The religious part of this I find particularly infuriating. NOWHERE in the Bible does Jesus or anyone else recommend that people avoid medical treatment. Heck, one of the gospel writers (Luke or John, I believe) was a doctor! But thanks to some crazy delusions that "god only heals through miracles," we've got religious nuts avoiding medical treatment... because it's apparently okay to risk the lives of others with compromised immune systems because of misguided Biblical interpretations. It's not right and it is certainly not Christian.

The religious thing is a misnomer. The religions that expressly prohibit vaccination are far and few between. Mostly its just a convenient BS excuse to avoid vaccination. All the other rational arguments haven't worked so anti-vaxxers are latching on to the claim of religious freedom.

Courts have repeatedly shot down people's opposition to vaccination based on religious grounds. Some religions including the Catholic Church endorse vaccination.

Unless you're a member of the Dutch Reformed Church or some other obscure sects, an objection to vaccination on religious grounds would likely fall flat.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:13 AM

11,948 posts, read 16,665,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My questions? What medications, how many, can cause a break down of the immune system, so previous vaccinations will not be effective? Who has a compromised immune system? Do all people who do know they do?
Chemotherapy - either for cancer or to target autoimmune diseases. In some cases, like mine, even years after treatment I am still considered immunocompromised, but not nearly as defenseless as I was when actively undergoing treatment. I still had to go to work - does that make you angry? Fight for better support systems so that 23 year olds with stage IV cancer don't have to work full time to be able to afford to eat or not find themselves homeless.

I was revaxxed after treatment and told that those vaccinations would not be as protective due to my diminished immune system.

Regarding your husband, there is a big difference between being immunocompromised and having a weak immune system due to poor health. Your husband falls into the latter category. Which countries is he going to that have a lower vaccination rate than we do? Even much poorer countries, like those in Central America, have very high vaccination rates.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:23 AM

17,087 posts, read 9,762,451 times
Why the combative tone in your post, Miss Terri? The media probably found out by reading the public health department's infectious disease bulletin and asked questions. It's on-line and took me less than thirty seconds to locate. That's what the media do, and I am grateful, but they still have to abide by the laws governing patient privacy. The CDC was involved, as is required in cases of measles, and closely monitored anyone who was exposed until the the danger had passed.

Once again, I am grateful to know that measles infection deviates from the traditional symptom pattern in the immunocompromised. That helps me take better care of myself. I am also grateful to have on-line access to my own county's infectious disease bulletin. Anyone in my position should take the time to read those bulletins, but I understand that there is a fine line between informing the public and inciting panic (reference Ebola). I do not believe there is or was any great conspiracy in the reporting of this story.

Last edited by randomparent; 07-04-2015 at 08:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or