U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 02:54 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Based on my own experience with immunomodulatory therapy and a lot of Google Scholar research this afternoon, I will read between the lines of the Washington State Board of Health press release from July 2nd and suggest that she was taking a drug called a T-cell inhibitor (e.g., Cyclosporine) and suffered a rare complication of measles infection called giant cell pneumonia, also known as Hecht's pneumonia.
Perhaps, and you do have experience in this area. However, 1 in 20 mealses patients gets pneumonia. It's the most common cause of death from measles.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:07 PM

13,477 posts, read 9,597,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The county claims that the last two cases occurred in April, even though the state records show two cases in May. I would assume that it's possible that those two cases reported for May were actually from April but that doesn't leave room for the cases to go unreported into June.
When incompetence or conspiracy are the only two answers, it's usually incompetence.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:12 PM

15,565 posts, read 8,742,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Perhaps, and you do have experience in this area. However, 1 in 20 mealses patients gets pneumonia. It's the most common cause of death from measles.
I could be wrong, but I went down this path because of the noted absence of a measles rash. Of course, we'll never know for sure unless the family comes forward with more information.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:27 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,907,081 times
CA is also in a unique position of have and ton of kids from other countries where controlling disease is not high on the priority list, which ads more risk.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
CA is also in a unique position of have and ton of kids from other countries where controlling disease is not high on the priority list, which ads more risk.
Or an American citizen who was not immune for whatever reason traveled somewhere else and was exposed. In 2014, another outbreak of measles in Washington was traced to an American student who was infected during a trip to British Columbia. (Yes, Canada, not a third world country.) Washington had a rough go in 2014 with over thirty reported cases of measles.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:59 PM

1,170 posts, read 747,574 times
Quote:
Or an American citizen who was not immune for whatever reason traveled somewhere else and was exposed. In 2014, another outbreak of measles in Washington was traced to an American student who was infected during a trip to British Columbia. (Yes, Canada, not a third world country.) Washington had a rough go in 2014 with over thirty reported cases of measles.
Here in Canada we are not doing well with our vaccination rates - that's why I watch the CA experience with interest as this debate is going on here as well.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:01 PM

Here in Colorado, we're apparently having that issue, too. The school districts have really cracked down.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:28 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Here in Colorado, we're apparently having that issue, too. The school districts have really cracked down.
I'm kind of wondering if our rates look worse on paper than they really are. One of those Disney cases was from here in CO. He was exposed there, came back, got sick, and went to an urgent care/ER/clinic plus a lab and no one else got it. Some of the schools did not have very good data last year.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:28 PM

5,644 posts, read 3,194,565 times
There were 3 cases in Florida after Disney. Two adults living in the same household with no other information given. International traveler at Miami Convention Hotel who went sightseeing to other places. None of these people spread it to others.

The Florida school with the outbreak where I worked was a Title One School. The students came from and went back to their home countries of Mexico and Haiti. Other than the 3 students with measles in the same family, nobody else in the school came down with measles, including the unvaccinated kids there.

I do agree, Katrina, that the media is creating panic and more of an issue than it really is.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:53 PM

6,297 posts, read 3,477,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Before any of the "medical professionals" come on to say "shingles increases with age", I say WHY? It is because the elderly are not being exposed over the generations and given natural boosters. My "super human great-grandma" who lived to be 94 in 1954. Why didn't she get shingles? In her 40s all of her children had chicken pox. In her 60 and 70s all her grandchildren had it. In her 80s and 90s her great-grandkids had it too. She was constantly being exposed to chicken pox under her own roof most of the time. Remember, back then multiple generations lived together. Older generations were constantly being exposed to diseases from younger generations. With vaccinations, and mobility, they aren't.

Personally, I would prefer being around the disease itself, than get some booster from a vaccine with a bunch of chemicals; not to mention some self righteous medical care professional.
Personally I'd rather see varicella-zoster virus driven to extinction by a global immunization campaign. Then no one will ever catch chicken pox OR shingles ever again.

(Like measles, varicella-zoster virus is a virus that only humans can catch. It's another of those infectious diseases we have a real possibility of eradicating forever, if we can muster the political will to do so.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or