Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 12:27 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
But I don't choose to catch a preventable disease from an unvaccinated person. That is an expense that was forced upon me. People who vaccinate assume that (very small) risk. How small the risk is impossible to say because reporting systems like VAERS is so ridiculously inaccurate.
Life is not without risk. You are always at risk from getting sick or injured form one thing or another. Imposing your preferred method of health interventions on others is wrong, imo. Vaccines are not risk free.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:28 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Stats can be used the other way as in your child is much more likely to be killed in a car crash on the way to the doctor's office to get their vaccine for chicken pox then dying or having a serious complication from contracting chicken pox.
So you don't let your children ride in cars, either, right? Far riskier than the vaccines.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
You're right. But it's a choice that affects, and can even kill, other people. You have the right to do whatever you want, so long as it doesn't affect other people.
The tiny subset of the population who does not vaccinate is not the threat that some are making them out to be. Many of the "anti-vaxxers" actually do vaccinate for many things, just not all of them. The reaction has been out or proportion with the threat.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
So you don't let your children ride in cars, either, right? Far riskier than the vaccines.
I think we are allowed in normal, ie., not abusive scenarios as people and as a parents to weigh the risk vs the reward. I'm not the one who is trying to impose medical interventions on others. I am for choice. That includes the choice for people to decide to engage in risky activities which happens to include driving.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:33 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,022,760 times
Quote:
It all boils down to choice. How do you know that people who question some or all vaccines don't also use natural cleaning products, eat organic food and utilize more alternative health models? I think that there is value in both eastern and western medicine and people should have the freedom to choose how to best care for their health.
They can choose, from the privacy of their home schooled home. With no confusion or interruption from science or statistics. How relaxing.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
They can choose, from the privacy of their home schooled home. With no confusion or interruption from science or statistics. How relaxing.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
The tiny subset of the population who does not vaccinate is not the threat that some are making them out to be. Many of the "anti-vaxxers" actually do vaccinate for many things, just not all of them. The reaction has been out or proportion with the threat.
Tell that to my friend who spent 6 weeks in the hospital with her 1 month old when he contracted Whopping Cough from an unvaccinated 5 year old, who had no good reason to be unvaccinated. I'd be happy to email you the pictures of his little body hooked up to machines.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I think we are allowed in normal, ie., not abusive scenarios as people and as a parents to weigh the risk vs the reward. I'm not the one who is trying to impose medical interventions on others. I am for choice. That includes the choice for people to decide to engage in risky activities which happens to include driving.
By driving, you are only putting yourself (and family) at risk. Not vaccinating put OTHERS at risk. It is the equivalent of not just driving, but driving recklessly and putting others in danger, which are are not allowed to do.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Tell that to my friend who spent 6 weeks in the hospital with her 1 month old when he contracted Whopping Cough from an unvaccinated 5 year old, who had no good reason to be unvaccinated. I'd be happy to email you the pictures of his little body hooked up to machines.
The pertussis vaccine has issues. One of which is that there is evidence that the bacterium has mutated which makes the vaccine ineffective. This information has been known for some time and was even on the CDC site a few years ago but for some reason the info is gone from their site. It's also not a long lasting vaccine and many adults don't get boosters. How did your friend's baby catch pertussis from the five year old? Was it a friend of her family? How did she know he was unvaccinated?

Old 07-07-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
By driving, you are only putting yourself (and family) at risk. Not vaccinating put OTHERS at risk. It is the equivalent of not just driving, but driving recklessly and putting others in danger, which are are not allowed to do.
When we drive we are putting a lot of people at risk. Accidents can and do happen. To think that an accident would only hurt myself or my family is not accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events