U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2015, 08:11 AM

5,643 posts, read 3,192,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think you're getting hung up on the term, "party" really it was and is just an opportunity to expose kids as young as possible to pox so that they can catch it when the risk of complications is lower. It was very common prior to the vaccine since pretty much everyone got chicken pox at some point and parents knew that getting it young was better. I'm baffled that this is so foreign to you.
Maybe a more politically correct word would be "Sleepovers"? Visiting a sick friend at home? I suppose in today's world parents would not allow that for any illness. Oh, it wasn't just for vaccine "preventable" diseases, but even something like the Flu. Example from when my kids were young. Jenny is home with the Flu. Teacher knows that your child and Jenny are friends and live near each other. "Can you bring Jenny her homework home to her"? I am talking about the 80's and 90's.

That would never happen in today's world, even with something like the Flu. Jenny would be quarantined in her own home. Oh, yes, if Jenny had been vaccinated for the Flu, she would not be home sick!!!!!!

Old 07-12-2015, 08:12 AM

84,958 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqQmMDDG-lY

Former Mooresville child compensated by federal

A former Mooresville couple’s daughter suffered brain damage after receiving vaccines when she was 3 months old. That was the finding of a little-known federal vaccine court established by Congress to award compensation for vaccine injuries.

<snip>

These are the very people you don't understand, have no compassion for and refuse to be honest about. I will continue to post them for you so you can clearly see why some parents have an issue with coerced vaccines and ridiculing of parents who's children have vaccine injuries. Those of you without kids should try hard to understand their decisions. These are not anti vaxers, they can't have been. If they were their kids wouldn't have vaccine injuries.
First of all, Poppy, you should know by now due to voluminous posting about this issue plus many good links to read, that the threshold for giving an award is very low. The vaccine may or may not have caused the injury. But that's what we do as a compassionate society. It really chaps me that you keep harping on this supposed "lack of compassion" that pro-vaxers have. That's an uncalled for statement.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:19 AM

21,477 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Quote:
Suzy, people are hurt by vaccines and by VPD. People need to be able to make choices and decide for themselves. That has been the point all along.
You make it sound like the risks are equivalent. That is the whole point. They are not. That false equivalency demonstrates an inability to understand risk. When you do not understand risk, you make bad decisions based on bad data.

Poppy posted a case of a child who had encephalitis due to a vaccine. The risk of encephalitis from measles is many times higher than the risk from the vaccine - hundreds to thousands of times higher.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:21 AM

8,541 posts, read 5,260,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Far, far more are injured by disease. We've posted statistics until we're blue in the face, and still the anti-vaxers don't believe it. For some diseases, yes, you can "hide in the herd" and avoid the risks of both. That used to be the case with measles. But the Disney outbreak, while not huge, was big enough that it should have showed people that hiding in the herd is becoming harder to do. Yes, no one died. . . this time. But 25% were hospitalized. I think you know how hard it is to get yourself hospitalized these days. You have to practically be at death's door. We won't know if there were no long-term effects for years.
People still have the right to choose, free of the threat of losing the right to a public education. There are a lot of factors to weigh such as what is the risk from the illness? How can the illness be treated if my child contracts it? What are the odds that they will suffer complications, rare or otherwise? What treatments can I do to lessen the odds of complications? What are the risks involved with the vaccine? Short and long term?

Quote:
It wasn't and isn't normal.
That is your opinion and one that I strongly disagree with.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:24 AM

8,541 posts, read 5,260,408 times
Quote:
First of all, Poppy, you should know by now due to voluminous posting about this issue plus many good links to read, that the threshold for giving an award is very low. The vaccine may or may not have caused the injury. But that's what we do as a compassionate society. It really chaps me that you keep harping on this supposed "lack of compassion" that pro-vaxers have. That's an uncalled for statement.
It does show a lack of compassion when people fail to acknowledge real injuries from vaccines.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:27 AM

5,643 posts, read 3,192,670 times
Quote:
Four people have responded about this. I also gave the experience of my husband. Thats 3 yea, two nay. But you know, I was just thinking. When I worked in public health, I saw a lot of poor people. They're frequently not as obtuse as some of the wealthier folks. They don't do dumb things like host chickenpox parties. Maybe that explains some of it.

Then again, not all of it. My family wasn't rich, but they weren't in poverty either. Neither was DH's. And you know, it's the anti-vaxers who have attended these parties, and in one case, held one (with her own kids). "Birds of a feather".
If you really read my post, you would see that it was a DOCTOR who told me that at 11 my daughter was getting "old" for chicken pox. Not only let her catch it, but let her little sister catch it from her older sister. He said and I will quote this, "Get it over with all at the same time". This was in 1990.

You also need to get away from the mindset that it is only rich people. Only rich people live in Manhattan? lol Some rich, some middle class, and some poor. Two of my friends growing up lived in the Projects. Rich people live in Projects?

This is not a new idea at ALL. It was common into the 1990's. Dr. Jenny? Dr. Wakefield? INTERNET????? No.

Must have been whole LOT of anti-vaxers going back decades.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:38 AM

12,422 posts, read 14,547,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Not true that people are getting sicker. Simply fiction. Vaccines save lives and the illnesses they largely eradicated are returning in no small part due to uninformed anti-vaxers and their cult of celebrity leaders like Jenny McCarthy.

All of the reputable data supports vaccines working. There is no doubt advancements in other areas support this reduction but without the continuation of vaccinations at levels to maintain "herd immunity" we are already seeing a resurgence.
Ah Yessss, the great never ending "lets bring up and blame jenny mccarthy AGAIN, and again, and again.
I would say it was people like YOU, who insist on calling on movie stars to prove what you believe shows erroneous thinking....and then, of course, (I could have guessed) brings the great CDC (proven liars if you'd care to look into that,rather than Jenny's life) as some kind of proof?
I'm gathering that with your great faith in the CDC that you've most certainly had ALL recommended shots on the adult schedule....right????

Old 07-12-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
It does show a lack of compassion when people fail to acknowledge real injuries from vaccines.
Who has done that on this forum? Please name names and post quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
If you really read my post, you would see that it was a DOCTOR who told me that at 11 my daughter was getting "old" for chicken pox. Not only let her catch it, but let her little sister catch it from her older sister. He said and I will quote this, "Get it over with all at the same time". This was in 1990.

You also need to get away from the mindset that it is only rich people. Only rich people live in Manhattan? lol Some rich, some middle class, and some poor. Two of my friends growing up lived in the Projects. Rich people live in Projects?

This is not a new idea at ALL. It was common into the 1990's. Dr. Jenny? Dr. Wakefield? INTERNET????? No.

Must have been whole LOT of anti-vaxers going back decades.
Before the vaccine, that may have been good advice. Note use of word "may". However, by 1990, people in the field knew the vaccine would soon be licensed in the US, as it was already extant in Japan. I for one was hoping the vaccine would come out before my kids got it. That did not happen.

I don't know what you mean by "it". Chickenpox parties?

There have been anti-vaxers since Edward Jenner invented the smallpox vaccine. It was made from cowpox cells, people were afraid they'd turn into cows. There are cartoons of people with cow's heads.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:44 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,546,743 times
Quote:
This is for you, she is a well known and respected reporter. I thought you might like to read it. She's investigating low Autism rates and low vaccination rates. The CDC told her that maybe it's because they don't use electricity.

https://sharylattkisson.com/where-ar...utistic-amish/

I told the CDC official that it would seem that a survey of the unvaccinated population could be a good first step in further dispelling or further confirming the possibility of a vaccine tie to autism. The CDC official acknowledged to me that the information would be worthwhile. I asked whether CDC would attempt such a survey.

Such a survey wouldn’t necessarily cost a penny because the CDC already conducts regular telephone and mail surveys to monitor childhood immunization coverage. It could just add a question: has your child been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder?

While not necessarily conclusive, if the incidence of autism, Attention Deficit Disorder and other related disorders is roughly the same in the unvaccinated population as in the fully vaccinated, it might steer attention and research in a different direction. That would serve the interests of those who wish to debunk a vaccine-autism link.

The CDC official answered my question as to whether it would attempt a survey by saying that it was something that “somebody” should do.

“Why not the CDC?” I asked. “And, if not, then will the CDC encourage such a study?”

“Somebody should do it,” she said again, noncommittally.

To date, hasn’t been done. Or if it has, the CDC hasn’t publicized the results.

The former head of the National Institutes of Health and member of the Institute of Medicine, Dr. Bernadine Healy, suggested that federal officials don’t want to do such studies. In an interview with me several years ago, she said that many of her colleagues had been too quick to dismiss evidence of the vaccine-autism link because they were “afraid” of where it might lead and how it would impact vaccination rates globally.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Maybe a more politically correct word would be "Sleepovers"? Visiting a sick friend at home? I suppose in today's world parents would not allow that for any illness. Oh, it wasn't just for vaccine "preventable" diseases, but even something like the Flu. Example from when my kids were young. Jenny is home with the Flu. Teacher knows that your child and Jenny are friends and live near each other. "Can you bring Jenny her homework home to her"? I am talking about the 80's and 90's.

That would never happen in today's world, even with something like the Flu. Jenny would be quarantined in her own home. Oh, yes, if Jenny had been vaccinated for the Flu, she would not be home sick!!!!!!
Any teacher who would suggest such a thing should be fired!

My kids went to school back then, too, in fact, I think one of mine is the same age as one of yours. No one did that. No one in the entire school, for those of you who think I was living in some sort of bubble and just didn't see this stuff around me. And flu? Good grief! Flu can be quite dangerous. I know, I know, we've discussed this many times in the past and in a few short months, maybe less, it will be a raging discussion on here. But whether you want to believe it or not, flu can be dangerous. The teacher has no idea if a child is at high risk for something or not. That's dereliction of duty to try to infect another child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or