Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2015, 09:02 PM

609 posts, read 808,070 times

Advertisements

Why don't we let the scientists and experts debate all this?

Old 07-13-2015, 09:10 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
Agreed! And they have . The science is clear. Vaccinate your kids

Old 07-13-2015, 09:14 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
Because for the scientists and experts there is nothing to debate. All the "controversy" is manufactured by the anti-vaccinationists.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:20 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
This is something I was wondering about. Interesting graphic, but I wish it actually gave us some numbers. The first graphic was based on 80% vac rate, and we see a LOT of red dots (measles cases) as the epidemic spreads. I'd love to know what percent of the unvaccinated people got the measles.

I have wondered, if vac rates got low enough that outbreaks of disease became huge, at that point would any of you opponents of vac mandates feel differently? Or perhaps would you choose to keep your kids home from school (and all other public places) until the epidemic subsided? Would personally knowing children who died or had serious complications from one of these diseases affect how you proceeded with your own children? (In terms of, would you get them vaccinated, or just keep them away from all people outside of your own home, or just carry on as usual and take your chances?)

Old 07-13-2015, 09:25 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
This is something I was wondering about. Interesting graphic, but I wish it actually gave us some numbers. The first graphic was based on 80% vac rate, and we see a LOT of red dots (measles cases) as the epidemic spreads. I'd love to know what percent of the unvaccinated people got the measles.

I have wondered, if vac rates got low enough that outbreaks of disease became huge, at that point would any of you opponents of vac mandates feel differently? Or perhaps would you choose to keep your kids home from school (and all other public places) until the epidemic subsided? Would personally knowing children who died or had serious complications from one of these diseases affect how you proceeded with your own children? (In terms of, would you get them vaccinated, or just keep them away from all people outside of your own home, or just carry on as usual and take your chances?)
Unvaccinated kids can't come to school if there is an outbreak. I don't have any problem with that rule.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:31 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
However, your choice not to vaccinate can make someone else sick, including an infant too young to be vaccinated.

If your unvaccinated child gets a baby sick who would have been vaccinated at the appropriate time, your choice not to vaccinate your child has preempted that baby's parents' choice to vaccinate.

When you figure out a way to keep unvaccinated children from passing vaccine preventable disease to other families, let us know.

Because it is not adults who suffer most from those diseases. Wherever did you get that weird idea?

So far, the evidence is that shingles after the vaccine occurs at a lower rate than after the wild virus and is milder when it does happen, with less chance of permanent pain afterwards.

Because vaccines do not always work, there are babies too young to be vaccinated, and there are people with weakened immune systems who are vulnerable to these diseases even if they have been vaccinated, like the woman who recently died from measles here in the US.

Your choice not to vaccinate affects the rest of us. We've decided to take measures to reduce the risk not vaccinating creates.

Hepatitis A and B are potentially eradicable because they have no natural non-human hosts.

Influenza is not eradicable because it mutates so readily and has non-human reservoirs. That's why you see references to bird flu and swine flu.

Human papillomavirus is an interesting question. There is a fairly large number of strains, but with effort we could probably knock out those most commonly associated with cancer. By extension, that would mean eradicating a bunch of cancers, too, including cervical cancer.

https://www.g-o-c.org/uploads/11june_hpvtoday.pdf
For the most part.. we are vaccinating against CHILDHOOD diseases. These are harmful to adults. Let the adults be the ones vaccinated then. HPV is so common that they cannot determine which (or if) a strain will cause cancer.

Let it go. Let it go...

Old 07-13-2015, 09:32 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Unvaccinated kids can't come to school if there is an outbreak. I don't have any problem with that rule.
Exactly... if an outbreak occurs, the un or under vaccinated kids are sent home. So what's the problem?

Old 07-13-2015, 09:36 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times
Quote:
Ok, that makes sense. What about my other questions? I'm genuinely interested.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:40 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Exactly... if an outbreak occurs, the un or under vaccinated kids are sent home. So what's the problem?
Many of these diseases are contagious before they're symptomatic. Not a solution.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
I remember having chicken pox and it was not a big deal at all. In childhood it usually isn't. It's dangerous as people get older. Adults who have had chicken pox benefit from being exposed to children with chicken pox due to the immune boost that they gain which in turn help to suppress shingles outbreaks. Chicken pox vaccination is not routine everywhere.
Anti-vaxers always seem to get milder disease and assume it's like that for everyone.

Quote:

Always something wrong with the info for anti-vaxers. Plenty of other info out there if you care to look for it.

Quote:
But they can be Patient Zero in a school outbreak. And they're contagious for days before they have symptoms, four days with measles. Can spread a lot of measles in four days. Then they get diagnosed and all the other unvaxed have to stay home. Kind of like locking the barn door after the horse is out.

Quote:
Ok, that makes sense. What about my other questions? I'm genuinely interested.
No it doesn't make sense. See above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events