U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 12:21 PM

6,295 posts, read 3,545,829 times

Advertisements

Katrina, Hep. B vaccination is not required in those occupations, and you know it. I am sure you have heard of OSHA. Recommended, not REQUIRED. You will not be denied employment, or fired, if you refuse a Hep. B vaccination. Pesky, little thing called adult informed consent.

Want me to post OSHA's form for refusal? I signed that myself in 2 different states for Hep. B.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:26 PM

86,883 posts, read 102,281,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Katrina, Hep. B vaccination is not required in those occupations, and you know it. I am sure you have heard of OSHA. Recommended, not REQUIRED. You will not be denied employment, or fired, if you refuse a Hep. B vaccination. Pesky, little thing called adult informed consent.

Want me to post OSHA's form for refusal? I signed that myself in 2 different states for Hep. B.
No, Jo, please don't do me any favors. I did not refer to a law, and you know it.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Regardless, those who choose not to vaccinate have to accept the risk they take with their decisions. The vast majority who vaccinated made their choice and will be protected.
The unvaxed are a risk to others besides themselves. There is a small percentage for whom vaccination doesn't work. Those people are at risk, too.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:31 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,894,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The unvaxed are a risk to others besides themselves. There is a small percentage for whom vaccination doesn't work. Those people are at risk, too.
I can understand this. Nothing is 100% in life. Still, the vast majority are protected and that's the take away point, with or without the law.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:32 PM

1,170 posts, read 790,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Living in Canada, you might not understand how our political system works in the good old US. Here's a good site for you if you are interested:

Influence & Lobbying | OpenSecrets

About me/my views beyond your generalizations about me:

- I don't like laws like this because I don't think gov should be involved at this level choice making. There are still some American's who value that concept, even if we, in the eyes of others, are acting all non-science/irrational.

- Based on some of the responses I received on this thread by people in your camp(pro CA law), we already have big vaccine participation in CA schools and we are indeed protecting the minority(unvaccinated kids). I understand now even the unenlightened who don't get vaccines and have no impaired immunity receive herd immunity. Those who have serious health concerns beyond this, a very small minority, need to have parents deal with their unique situation, not be the reason to drive public policy for the vast majority.

- As for party lines, I trust no politician of any party stripe. I feel our political system is broken. Badly.

That's exactly what's happening.

The minority of kids who have parents who choose to ignore all of the data proving vaccines prevent life threatening illnesses, and who choose to avoid vaccinations due to misplaced "health concerns' "need to have parents deal with their unique situation".

Love it

It's tough when a vocal uninformed minority can't control the government.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:36 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,151,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Yay! More government telling people what to do with their bodies. If you're a scared of chickenpox, then have your own kid get vaccinated.
The single most effective act George Washington did towards winning the Revolutionary War was getting his soldiers vaccinated against smallpox. Compared to him, you're like a squeak toy. What you say is amusing for a few seconds, then boring.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Umm, that's not how democracy does work.

The California politicians are elected by the majority of voters to represent the majority of voters. It's not a small minority dictating - the data shows the majority of people support childhoold vacccines and mandates (if necessary).

You just don't like it because you're one of the very few anti-science folks out there - unfortunately there are just enough of you to create a risk. California put the interests of the majority ahead of the few. (And just a reminder, in a country as polarized as the US, this issue absolutely spans party lines)
You got that constitutional aspect backwards. The rights of the majority cannot infringe upon the rights of the minority.

Yes, these legislators were voted in by the majority, but they also can be voted OUT of office also. Also, do you think California is a separate country? Nobody living there can ever leave their borders and go to Nevada, Arizona, etc., where California's laws do not exist? lol

You have a very parochial mind.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
You got that constitutional aspect backwards. The rights of the majority cannot infringe upon the rights of the minority.

Yes, these legislators were voted in by the majority, but they also can be voted OUT of office also. Also, do you think California is a separate country? Nobody living there can ever leave their borders and go to Nevada, Arizona, etc., where California's laws do not exist? lol

You have a very parochial mind.
Actually, the constitution protects the constitutional rights of everyone, whether they are in the majority or the minority.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:42 PM

1,762 posts, read 3,833,696 times
There is NO controversy as far as vaccines.
If you don't want to get a disease, you get vaccinated.
Pure and simple.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No, Jo, please don't do me any favors. I did not refer to a law, and you know it.
Excuse me but Hep B is RECOMMENDED not REQUIRED. Recommend all you want. Get a dictionary if you do not understand the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or