U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 05:32 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,386,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You either caught the flu before the vaccine had time to work, you got a strain not included in the vaccine, or you did not have influenza but gastroenteritis - what many people refer to as "stomach flu". Influenza typically does not cause significant vomiting and diarrhea in adults. The vaccine did not prevent you from being sick, but it did not cause you to be sick, either. Your OB is correct.
Actually my OB was wrong. The vaccine I received says right in the insert: "FLUARIX QUADRIVALENT should be given to a pregnant woman only if clearly needed."

So maybe I got another strain of flu, or maybe I had side effects from the vaccine and the flu... Maybe I had all 4. Either way it was horrible. The other side effect was my baby was born a few months later and had to be rushed to the hospital with an unexplained fever.

Insert also says to report adverse reactions with mom and baby... guess my OB missed that part.

Source

Next birth... No flu vax and no flu.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:50 PM

5,644 posts, read 3,196,510 times
Pandemic Flu History | Flu.gov

Is this "junk science" from Dr. Mercola or Dr. Jenny? Other than the 1918/1919, I was alive for all the rest of them, and probably had them.

Read what Flu.gov. has to say about people being born before these dates and having immunity from previous outbreaks. Flu strains change THAT much so a person's immune system from having had them cannot recognize the main strain and fight it off? They give one example where people under 23 had the most outbreaks because they had never been exposed before.

Apparently Flu.Gov. thinks that may be be case, but of course that must be hush, hush for it will not sell Flu Shots, especially to "vulnerable immune compromised elderly" people who were exposed to these flu outbreaks in their younger years.

Search and ye shall find. Dr. Mercola?

Old 07-22-2015, 06:00 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
As long as they know they need to find schools etc not requiring it. Basically they live with opting out. I don't see we are going to hold any one down and give them the shot who doesn't want one. Like healthcare workers coming from certain areas they have to expect quarantine. under some circumstance.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:01 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,256,024 times
I didn't read through all 300+ pages so forgive me if this has been asked.

How is it possible for someone that refuses the vaccine to put others at risk?

If 99 out of 100 people get vaccinated, how does that 1 put the 99 at risk?
They are vaccinated right?...So therefore they shouldn't worry about the one whom wasn't. There would be an epidemic of 1...

At best that 1 could only affect others that also chose not to be vaccinated.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:13 PM

4,680 posts, read 2,302,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I am 67 and married for 41 years. Wouldn't I be dead by now if I carried that virus from my younger years? Make you insurance rates go up? Do you have Medicare?

My daughters are in their 30s and married, one to a woman. That vaccine was not invented when they were teens. CDC does not recommend the HPV vaccine to women over 26 years old.

Jo, this is for you:

Must-See: HPV Epidemic Documentary "Someone You Love" Hits Home And Hits Hard - Forbes

They tell you the reason that the HPV vaccine is not offered to older people is because the majority of Americans have it by that age, even ones that have only had one partner (indicating they may have gotten it from their partner).

Old 07-22-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I didn't read through all 300+ pages so forgive me if this has been asked.

How is it possible for someone that refuses the vaccine to put others at risk?

If 99 out of 100 people get vaccinated, how does that 1 put the 99 at risk?
They are vaccinated right?...So therefore they shouldn't worry about the one whom wasn't. There would be an epidemic of 1...

At best that 1 could only affect others that also chose not to be vaccinated.
Just because someone has been vaccinated doesn't mean they are completely protected. Babies in utero, small babies too young to get vaccines and people whose immune systems have been compromised, like cancer and transplant patients, even those who have been vaccinated, can still get a disease.

When you get vaccinated, you're protecting those people, not just the ones who choose not to get vaccinated.

We're arguing now about a woman in Washington state who had been vaccinated, but had her immune system compromised, and she was exposed to measles at a medical clinic where the measles patient was. The woman died of measles.

She shouldn't have and there's no excuse for someone to pass on a disease they should have vaccinated for to begin with.

You asked a legit question and that's the answer.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Pandemic Flu History | Flu.gov

Is this "junk science" from Dr. Mercola or Dr. Jenny? Other than the 1918/1919, I was alive for all the rest of them, and probably had them.

Read what Flu.gov. has to say about people being born before these dates and having immunity from previous outbreaks. Flu strains change THAT much so a person's immune system from having had them cannot recognize the main strain and fight it off? They give one example where people under 23 had the most outbreaks because they had never been exposed before.

Apparently Flu.Gov. thinks that may be be case, but of course that must be hush, hush for it will not sell Flu Shots, especially to "vulnerable immune compromised elderly" people who were exposed to these flu outbreaks in their younger years.

Search and ye shall find. Dr. Mercola?

Good for you. I'm alive too, but I had pneumonia from the 1958 Hong Kong flu pandemic. That cost my parents a lot of money and worry. Consider us "the lucky ones".

You are aware, of course, that the swine flu that went around in 2009 killed over 12,000 people in the US, many of them children.

You seriously don't think 50 million people were killed by the 1918 flu? You think the rest of it is junk science? Let me tell you, that's akin to saying the Holocaust never happened. Because those flus did happen. Those people did die. If you want to deny that, ....just....wow.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
While I agree with your choice to not get a flu vaccination, I think you had "stomach flu" not influenza. Imagine ME agreeing with SuzyQ who doesn't think I know what the flu is in my old age? Flu will be sneezing, coughing, and aches and chills which come from the FEVER of a flu. That is the difference with a simple cold. Sneezing and coughing but no fever, so no aches and chills. You have no infection/fever with a cold and that is why antibiotics are not given for a cold.

Vomiting and diarrhea are not typical flu symptoms , but certainly are for a norovirus or stomach flu, and far, far worse for food poisoning. With that one, you will be vomiting WATER too.
LOL I rarely disagree with you too however, listed in the symptoms of the flu is indeed diarrhea even though it is more common in kids. I suspect that the diarrhea was more of a complication than an original symptom.

I still think that my immune system was preoccupied which made the flu worse.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
As long as they know they need to find schools etc not requiring it. Basically they live with opting out. I don't see we are going to hold any one down and give them the shot who doesn't want one. Like healthcare workers coming from certain areas they have to expect quarantine. under some circumstance.
The problem is three-fold.
1. The law covers public school, private school, daycare, preschool, and every other schooling.
2. The CA law is very strict when it comes to homeschooling. There is concern that homeschooling is also covered and mandated vaccines would be required. Effectively eliminating non-vaccinated children from education.
3. The law before the bill did require unvaccinated kids to be quarantined at home. Parents had no problem with that.

If this is implemented, who is to say if a homeschool family isn't fined, jailed, or held down to be forcefully vaccinated.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:50 PM

21,498 posts, read 26,102,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Actually my OB was wrong. The vaccine I received says right in the insert: "FLUARIX QUADRIVALENT should be given to a pregnant woman only if clearly needed."

So maybe I got another strain of flu, or maybe I had side effects from the vaccine and the flu... Maybe I had all 4. Either way it was horrible. The other side effect was my baby was born a few months later and had to be rushed to the hospital with an unexplained fever.

Insert also says to report adverse reactions with mom and baby... guess my OB missed that part.

Source

Next birth... No flu vax and no flu.
Fluarix is pregnancy category B, the same as plain old ampicillin. That means that although the company has not done studies specifically on pregnant women, animal studies do not show a risk if used in pregnancy.

FDA Pregnancy Categories A, B, C, D, X, N Explained

The fact that the manufacturer did not do studies in pregnancy does not mean we have no data on flu vaccine in pregnancy.

Flu shot in pregnancy: Is it safe? - Mayo Clinic

"A flu shot during pregnancy can help:
  • Prevent the flu and maternal complications. Pregnancy puts extra stress on your heart and lungs. Pregnancy can also affect your immune system. These factors increase the risk of becoming severely ill due to the flu.
  • Prevent potential pregnancy problems due to the flu. Flu during pregnancy seems to increase the risk of miscarriage, premature birth and low birth weight.
  • Protect your baby after birth. Infants are at increased risk of severe flu symptoms, but childhood flu vaccines can't begin until a baby is 6 months old. If you have a flu shot during pregnancy, however, the antibodies you develop will pass through the placenta to help protect your baby from the flu. In a recent study, babies whose mothers had a flu shot during pregnancy were nearly 50 percent less likely to be hospitalized with the flu during their first flu season than were babies of unvaccinated mothers."

Your OB determined that the illness you had was not an adverse reaction to the vaccine. Why should it be reported? Yes you were very sick. The fact that you had taken the vaccine before the illness does not mean the vaccine caused your illness. "No vax and no flu" in the next pregnancy does not prove the illness you had in the first pregnancy was caused by the vaccine.

The vaccine would not cause your baby to have a fever months later, either. That is not biologically plausible.

A summary of studies supporting vaccinating against flu in pregnancy:

The real story on the flu vaccine during pregnancy Red Wine & Apple Sauce

GlaxoSmithKline is maintaining a pregnancy registry for all of its flu vaccines. Women who receive any of the vaccines should register when they take the vaccine. The company will contact the patient's doctor after delivery to get information on the outcome.

GlaxoSmithKline Pregnancy Registries Seasonal Influenza Vaccine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or