U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2015, 05:07 PM

21,494 posts, read 26,089,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Immunization and Infectious Diseases | Healthy People 2020

Read this Suzy. Look up the children versus adult vaccination rates.
Your link does not address rates specifically, so I do not know what your point is.

The guidelines call for making sure adults and children are optimally vaccinated. I know you do not consider that a worthy goal. From what you have said in the past no one who gets sick should ever see a doctor. (Though apparently your husband went to the hospital at least once, as you are so fond of telling us, where he refused the hepatitis B vaccine.) If the illness is potentially fatal, regardless of the age of the sick person, nature should be allowed to take its course. Death happens to us all, right? Isn't that your philosophy?

Most of us, regardless of our ages, have no desire to be maimed or killed by something preventable. That's what vaccines do - prevent injury and death - and the risks of vaccines are tiny compared to the risks of the diseases they prevent. We certainly do not want our children and grandchildren maimed or killed by something preventable, which is why we have them vaccinated.

Quote:
http://www.hhs.gov/nvpo/national_adu...plan_draft.pdf

Suzy, darling, if the majority of Adults (not only ME) are getting their vaccinations, WHY is doing this even necessary??????

I suggest ALL your fanatics read BOTH of these from YOUR OWN government sites.
This link does not address childhood vaccines at all, except hepatitis B, does it? It covers those targeted at adults. Those getting the shingles vaccine have already had chicken pox and are part of the herd for that disease. We do not expect herd immunity for pneumococcal disease. For hepatitis B we are trying to get those vaccinated who were not vaccinated as children, because not everyone had hepatitis B before the vaccine came out, and many adults are susceptible. That is different from the measles situation where most did get it before there was a vaccine for it.

For the diseases where we expect herd immunity, most adults are immune by virtue of age or having been vaccinated.

Many adults are behind on vaccines because their doctors have not made a point of updating them, not because they have an objection to being vaccinated. Some have not gotten them because of the expense, which is no longer a factor since now insurance companies have to provide vaccines with no cost sharing for the insured person.

Most of us, Jo, are not pro disease.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 07-26-2015 at 05:23 PM..

Old 07-26-2015, 05:21 PM

5,644 posts, read 3,194,565 times
Ok, just how fanatical vaccination can we get? Try one poster (nameless) who thinks 80 year olds should PROVE immunity to Measles, or get get a MMR vaccination.

I would think the majority of 80 year olds, or even 60 or 70 year olds, have far more health issues to be concerned about than worrying about catching measles, or GIVING measles to somebody else.

This is what you are creating.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Ok, just how fanatical vaccination can we get? Try one poster (nameless) who thinks 80 year olds should PROVE immunity to Measles, or get get a MMR vaccination.

I would think the majority of 80 year olds, or even 60 or 70 year olds, have far more health issues to be concerned about than worrying about catching measles, or GIVING measles to somebody else.

This is what you are creating.
Why should anyone want an 80 year old to prove immunity to measles? The proof is being born before 1957. That works for anyone currently over age 58.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Why should anyone want an 80 year old to prove immunity to measles? The proof is being born before 1957. That works for anyone currently over age 58.
Go back and read the threads. One poster did suggest that.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Since you are the one making the allegation, how about providing a link to that post.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:52 AM

8,541 posts, read 5,262,232 times
Quote:
Since you are the one making the allegation, how about providing a link to that post.
post #3602

Old 07-27-2015, 09:17 AM

1,170 posts, read 747,574 times
This thread is absurd. It started out as a very specific discussion of the elimination of personal exemptions for vaccines to attend school.

Now we've got pages and pages of wacky allegations about super immune systems, and whether we should vaccinate 80 year olds (from posters who admit over and over that they don't care about science).

When is enough actually enough?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
post #3602
Jo said:

"Guess those people must be vaccinated too? Very least PROVE your immunity by a titer!!!!! Cannot hurt to get vaccinated to measles even if you are 60, 70, or 80 years old if you never actually had the disease as a child?"

Rodentraiser said:

"Absolutely they should be vaccinated, especially now more than ever, with the number of parents who refuse to vaccinate their children."

He then discussed what some of the vaccine preventable diseases can do to adults, concluding with

"Besides, you can be sick and incubating measles, for example, for a week before you break out. Just think of all the kids that may be walking around incubating measles and exposing everyone to the disease. Measles is 90% transmissible. That means for every 10 people exposed to the disease, 9 will get it. Yeah, I'd get the vaccine if I hadn't had measles."

Jo was the only one talking about getting a titer. If someone has had measles there is no reason to get a titer unless a job requires it, and it is the prerogative of the employer to do that.

If someone is over the age of 58 and unsure whether he actually did have measles or not, then a titer is an option, as is taking the MMR. No, it cannot hurt to be vaccinated against measles if you are 60, 70, or 80 years old and you never actually had the disease as a child.

I repeat: no one is demanding that everyone over the age of 80 prove immunity to measles with a titer.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Jo said:

"Guess those people must be vaccinated too? Very least PROVE your immunity by a titer!!!!! Cannot hurt to get vaccinated to measles even if you are 60, 70, or 80 years old if you never actually had the disease as a child?"

Rodentraiser said:

"Absolutely they should be vaccinated, especially now more than ever, with the number of parents who refuse to vaccinate their children."

He then discussed what some of the vaccine preventable diseases can do to adults, concluding with

"Besides, you can be sick and incubating measles, for example, for a week before you break out. Just think of all the kids that may be walking around incubating measles and exposing everyone to the disease. Measles is 90% transmissible. That means for every 10 people exposed to the disease, 9 will get it. Yeah, I'd get the vaccine if I hadn't had measles."

Jo was the only one talking about getting a titer. If someone has had measles there is no reason to get a titer unless a job requires it, and it is the prerogative of the employer to do that.

If someone is over the age of 58 and unsure whether he actually did have measles or not, then a titer is an option, as is taking the MMR. No, it cannot hurt to be vaccinated against measles if you are 60, 70, or 80 years old and you never actually had the disease as a child.

I repeat: no one is demanding that everyone over the age of 80 prove immunity to measles with a titer.
Rodentraiser doesn't trust anyone's word that they had measles, mumps, chicken pox. That is the point I was making. Prove it, or getting vaccinated. We were talking specially about college enrollment, but it would apply to jobs as well, especially California Day Care Center, and probably enventually in public school employment. I suppose that poster does not even trust the CDC recommendations on this; born before a certain date.

Even with that there still is problem. While obviously I cannot remember having any of these diseases myself since I was under 2 years, I do trust my parents when they said I had them, in addition to the fact that I was around a whole lot of other kids growing up and never got them again when older.

Now the problem with my own kids, one of whom was born in 1984 AFTER what the CDC says everyone should be vaccinated for chicken pox. She had chicken pox before the vaccination came out when she was 6 years old and caught it from her older sister born before 1980, years before that vaccination came out. Of course not only I remember it, SHE does also. Not good enough according to some people. She should have to PROVE she had chicken pox, or get a vaccination. Who even knows if her pediatrician is still practicing today? She is a teacher. If all these laws pass, she is going to have to PROVE she had chicken pox, or get vaccinated for a disease she had as a child because she was born AFTER that CDC date? This is what I mean by jumping through hoops to satisfy an ever increasing paranoid population, even for something as minor as chicken pox. Her husband born after that date also is a teacher,but was lucky to have shingles very young and only a doctors note stating that would be enough proof of immunity.

Suzy, your campaign is opening up a hornet's nest for people who had diseases, and distrust among pro-vaxers who think the ONLY possible immunity is by immunization. Do you understand the implications of what you have created?

Old 07-27-2015, 02:40 PM

1,170 posts, read 747,574 times
Here we go with the ridiculous distractions. Vaccinate school kids or keep them at home. I'm personally willing to run the risk of an 80 year old not protected surrounded by other protected people. Would I want them around my unvaccinated baby niece. Nope.

Talking about less significant risks is a ploy by antivaxers who can't perform even a basic risk analysis. Vaccinating school kids protects a large portion of the population who are in captive proximity to each other.

If you don't want to vaccinate keep your kid homeschooled. It doesn't eliminate the risk, but it's a great step forward in protecting society's most vulnerable. The anti-vaxers here don't care about that and concede science doesn't matter so arguing with them is futile.

Vaccinate your kids or homeschool. Go California!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or