U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-30-2015, 05:10 PM
 
9,574 posts, read 5,769,280 times
Reputation: 9657

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
I there is literally nothing that is risk free.

And how is it that the anti-vax anecdotal evidence is so much more important than the pro-vax? Interesting.

But I ask again: what do you think is the reason behind these mandates?
If it is not risk free then how can you mandate it? Routine pap screening is very effective in preventing cervical cancer. People can choose to get the HPV vaccine if they would like to. No need to firce people into getting it. I don't know what is up with the mandates. Do you?

 
Old 07-30-2015, 05:12 PM
 
9,574 posts, read 5,769,280 times
Reputation: 9657
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The diagnostic tests and treatment for cervical cancer are not risk free either.

You are more likely to have a serious complication from a cervical biopsy than you are from a vaccine. Large biopsies can result in hemorrhage, infection, scarring of the cervix (which sometime makes getting accurate followup Pap smears difficult), difficulty getting pregnant, and preterm birth.

At a minimum, treatment for a true cervical cancer will almost certainly result in sterility. Such treatment may involve extensive surgery and/or radiation therapy, each of which carries risks - far more likely and serious than risks of HPV vaccination.
It is your opinion that the biopsy is riskier then the vaccine. Approximately six percent of women who receive Pap tests are referred for additional testing or treatment based on abnormal results. It's a pretty small risk if you ask me and one that people should be allowed to take.
 
Old 07-30-2015, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Marquette, Mich
1,196 posts, read 459,297 times
Reputation: 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I believe the point was that in a school setting where they are saying it is to protect students that cannot be vaccinated. Vaccines like HPV and Tetanus do not fit that agenda. So what agenda do they have for requiring them?
Without researching, my guess would be high rates if HPV transmission. And a desire to prevent it.
 
Old 07-30-2015, 05:17 PM
 
9,574 posts, read 5,769,280 times
Reputation: 9657
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

At a minimum, treatment for a true cervical cancer will almost certainly result in sterility. Such treatment may involve extensive surgery and/or radiation therapy, each of which carries risks - far more likely and serious than risks of HPV vaccination.
We are talking about precancerous changes, not true cervical cancer. Cervical cancer is very slow growing and can and is caught with routine paps.

These are the risk factors involved in true cervical cancer. HPV is one. The vaccine does not prevent all strains. True cervical cancer is very rare in women who receive routine pap smears.

HPV infection
Lack of regular Pap tests
Weakened immune system
Age over 40
Sexual historyŚmany partners or partner with many partners
Smoking cigarettes
Using birth control pills for five or more years
Having many children
Diethylstilbestrol (DES) exposure
 
Old 07-30-2015, 05:19 PM
 
9,574 posts, read 5,769,280 times
Reputation: 9657
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Without researching, my guess would be high rates if HPV transmission. And a desire to prevent it.
HPV does have a high rate of transmission but cervical cancer is rare among women who receive routine pap screenings. People should have the right to choose. The risk does not warrant the mandate.
 
Old 07-30-2015, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Marquette, Mich
1,196 posts, read 459,297 times
Reputation: 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
If it is not risk free then how can you mandate it? Routine pap screening is very effective in preventing cervical cancer. People can choose to get the HPV vaccine if they would like to. No need to firce people into getting it. I don't know what is up with the mandates. Do you?
NOTHING in this world is risk free. There is risk in getting a vaccine. There is more risk to not getting the vaccine. There is risk to walking out my front door. There is risk to eating lunch. And driving my car. Whether we know it or not, we weigh risk every second of the day. And night.

I don't know if mandating HPV vaccine is a good idea. I'd have to research. I imagine it also has to do with liability...tetanus, I'm fairly confident that would come into it--you refuse to vaccinate your child for tetanus & he cuts himself on a rusty nail on the playground, lawsuit. So decreasing vaccination rates, coupled with an increase in disease rates, then added to a higher litigation rate=forcing institutions into making sweeping decisions.

Again, you still have choice. You may not like the consequences.
 
Old 07-30-2015, 05:36 PM
 
9,574 posts, read 5,769,280 times
Reputation: 9657
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
NOTHING in this world is risk free. There is risk in getting a vaccine. There is more risk to not getting the vaccine. There is risk to walking out my front door. There is risk to eating lunch. And driving my car. Whether we know it or not, we weigh risk every second of the day. And night.

I don't know if mandating HPV vaccine is a good idea. I'd have to research. I imagine it also has to do with liability...tetanus, I'm fairly confident that would come into it--you refuse to vaccinate your child for tetanus & he cuts himself on a rusty nail on the playground, lawsuit. So decreasing vaccination rates, coupled with an increase in disease rates, then added to a higher litigation rate=forcing institutions into making sweeping decisions.

Again, you still have choice. You may not like the consequences.
Yes, there is risk in getting the vaccine and there is risk in not getting it. Neither decision is risk free. Neither risk is huge. Thus the reason why it should be a choice.

I can't imagine the schools being held liable for a student contracting HPV since students are not having sexual intercourse in the classroom. If they are then that would be grounds for a different kind of lawsuit but HPV would be the least of the schools worries in that case.

I don't know why you are defending the mandate when you don't even know if you'd support it.
 
Old 07-30-2015, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Marquette, Mich
1,196 posts, read 459,297 times
Reputation: 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Yes, there is risk in getting the vaccine and there is risk in not getting it. Neither decision is risk free. Neither risk is huge. Thus the reason why it should be a choice.

I can't imagine the schools being held liable for a student contracting HPV since students are not having sexual intercourse in the classroom. If they are then that would be grounds for a different kind of lawsuit but HPV would be the least of the schools worries in that case.

I don't know why you are defending the mandate when you don't even know if you'd support it.
I won't throw the idea out without knowing more.

And trust me. Schools are being sued for a lot of utterly ridiculous things.

Mostly I wanted to know what it felt like to pull an idea out of my rear. Fun!
 
Old 07-30-2015, 05:53 PM
 
9,574 posts, read 5,769,280 times
Reputation: 9657
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
I won't throw the idea out without knowing more.

And trust me. Schools are being sued for a lot of utterly ridiculous things.

Mostly I wanted to know what it felt like to pull an idea out of my rear. Fun!
How do you think a school could be held liable for a child contracting HPV? Kids are not supposed to be having sex at school. Liability is not a concern.

Last edited by MissTerri; 07-30-2015 at 06:04 PM..
 
Old 07-30-2015, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,648,325 times
Reputation: 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Without researching, my guess would be high rates if HPV transmission. And a desire to prevent it.
It's been a while since I was in school but I'm pretty sure all the sex (HPV transmission) happened outside of school hours. Do schools now dictate what my kid can do after school? If they aren't at risk for contracting HPV during school then the schools should have no say in the HPV vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

ę 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top