U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 12:47 PM

35,322 posts, read 19,340,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You as a human being have no inherent right nor should you have any expectation to be free from coming into contact with infectious disease. You can do what you can to limit your risk and for you that decision may involve deciding to vaccinate for every VPD. You don't however have the right to mandate that everyone else do the same.
I don't, but the government does.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:05 PM

23,458 posts, read 28,339,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
HPV Vaccine is Recommended for Boys | Features | CDC

Is this to mandatory for public schools also? My guess is that a LOT of 11 year old boys are having unprotected sex, with THEMSELVES. Are they going to get cancer from that too? Sorry, to get a bit gross on this one. Old enough to remember all those diseases they said you could get from that in decades past. lol

I am sure all the "anti-vaxer" males would have a few choice comments on this one. lol
Eleven year old boys should be vaccinated against HPV because they will very soon be horny teenagers having unprotected sex (despite being told not to) with people other than themselves - who may not have been vaccinated and may carry high risk strains of HPV.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:00 PM

6,409 posts, read 3,598,411 times
All I can say is that working with Autistic children in schools for many, many years, if you have SONS be very careful. In all those years I only worked with ONE Autistic Girl. Some families had ALL of their sons with Autism, and NONE of their daughters with it.

Whether this is because of vaccines or some genetic trait on the Y chromosome, I will not say, but only be very careful with your sons with this.

Suzy, if you do not believe me on this, you can look up yourself the proportion of males to females with Autism. YOUR science statistics confirms my own life experiences on male to female ratios.

I have a Grandson. I worry about this. Even my husband has told our daughter to be careful with vaccinating our Grandson. The ONLY vaccination, or medical treatment, my husband has ever refused was a Hep. B vax in the hospital after his heart attack. He sees doctors CONSTANTLY and does everything they say, yet even he worries about Autism with male children.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:08 PM

22,606 posts, read 10,460,302 times
Quote:
All I can say is that working with Autistic children in schools for many, many years, if you have SONS be very careful. In all those years I only worked with ONE Autistic Girl. Some families had ALL of their sons with Autism, and NONE of their daughters with it.

Whether this is because of vaccines or some genetic trait on the Y chromosome, I will not say, but only be very careful with your sons with this.

Suzy, if you do not believe me on this, you can look up yourself the proportion of males to females with Autism. YOUR science statistics confirms my own life experiences on male to female ratios.

I have a Grandson. I worry about this. Even my husband has told our daughter to be careful with vaccinating our Grandson. The ONLY vaccination, or medical treatment, my husband has ever refused was a Hep. B vax in the hospital after his heart attack. He sees doctors CONSTANTLY and does everything they say, yet even he worries about Autism with male children.

Do you have some evidence that vaccines only have a negative effect on boys?

Old 07-31-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:

Genetics May Explain Why Autism Is More Common in Boys - D-brief

Why Girls May Be Protected Against Autism | TIME.com

The difference is not due to vaccines.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:12 PM

9,600 posts, read 5,818,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It is not a matter of feeling "slightly" safer. It is a matter of feeling significantly safer. We do indeed have an expectation that preventable risks will be minimized. A high level of vaccination is needed to preserve herd immunity and prevent vaccine preventable diseases that have been eliminated, like measles, from becoming endemic again.
You already have a high level of vaccination. Forcing a small minority to either comply or forgo their right to a public education will not make you any safer.

Quote:
Yes, it is a mandate.
Of course it is.
Quote:
and it is legal and reasonable.
No it is not.
Quote:
The only exemption should be for a valid medical reason.
Disagree, strongly.

Quote:
Serious reactions, unconfirmed to actually be caused by the vaccine and reported by parents that are desperate to blame a child's illness on something, are a poor reason not to vaccinate. It is interesting that you prefer to believe anecdotes from parents and not the science that shows what those parents believe to be true is not.
The only desperation on the part of the parents who's children have been injured by the vaccine is the desperation for them to be heard by an industry that does not want to hear it. They are only desperate because they aren't being heard.

Quote:
You also continue to insist that the only thing we need to be concerned about is cervical cancer. Why do you ignore all the other cancers caused by HPV? Even warts, while not fatal, are uncomfortable, embarrassing in a sexual relationship, and do not always go away without treatment, which is painful.
There is no reason whatsoever for this vaccine to be required for school entry. Don't want HPV? Don't have sex. Want to minimize your risk of contracting HPV? Wear a condom, use dental dams. Want to minimize your risk of getting cervical cancer? Get regular pap smears. There is absolutely no reason for this vaccine to be mandated for school children. None.

Quote:
In a previous link, a RI health official explained that the state has decided to treat HIV like any other vaccine preventable disease by including all the recommended childhood vaccines in its mandate. That is a good thing. The more diseases we can prevent, the better.
Do you mean, HPV? It's not a good thing to mandate this vaccine.

Quote:
In the case, the person "weighing the risk" about the vaccine is not the person who is being left unprotected by not being vaccinated. It is a child who cannot make the decision for himself.
People do have an inherent right to choose or refuse medications. You are in favor of forcefully injecting people against their will? Forced chemo? Forced surgery?

Quote:
If you do not want to vaccinate, do not vaccinate. Vaccination and hand washing prevent different things. Hand washing will not protect against many vaccine preventable diseases. Vaccination and hand washing are not mutually exclusive. Your "view" on the best path to good overall health does not mean a thing to the organisms that cause vaccine preventable diseases.
My view allows me to decide how to take care of my body and my health. Injecting vaccinations for any and everything they are available for is counterproductive to the plan. Your fear should not interfere with other people's choice to forgo injections.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:17 PM

9,600 posts, read 5,818,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I don't, but the government does.
Why? Does the government own our bodies? That sounds like a massive overreach to me.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:33 PM

Location: Where rhotic consonants are either absent or intrusive
8,908 posts, read 5,251,979 times
Quote:

Personal anecdote: my mother-in-law and sister-in-law are both high-functioning autistic, while (other than my oldest boy, who incidentally was diagnosed 3 years before he was ever vaccinated) there are no autistic males in their extended family.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
You already have a high level of vaccination. Forcing a small minority to either comply or forgo their right to a public education will not make you any safer.
As has been repeatedly pointed out, the problem is that the anti-vax like to associate with the anti-vax, resulting in some schools with extremely low vaccination rates. That situation increases the risk of large outbreaks.

Quote:
Disagree, strongly.
Of course you disagree. However, it is legal (and Mark has given us the legal viewpoint in his posts here). It is reasonable because after millions of doses have been administered no serious adverse effects of the HPV vaccine have been documented.

Quote:
The only desperation on the part of the parents who's children have been injured by the vaccine is the desperation for them to be heard by an industry that does not want to hear it. They are only desperate because they aren't being heard.
Their "injuries" have been and continue to be investigated. Parents just cannot accept that the mere fact that the "injury" happened after a vaccine was given does not mean that the vaccine caused the "injury". Those parents have not been ignored, any more than reports of intussuception with the first rotavirus vaccine was ignored. The rotavirus vaccine was found to have a serious adverse effect. It was replaced with a better vaccine.

Quote:
There is no reason whatsoever for this vaccine to be required for school entry. Don't want HPV? Don't have sex. Want to minimize your risk of contracting HPV? Wear a condom, use dental dams. Want to minimize your risk of getting cervical cancer? Get regular pap smears. There is absolutely no reason for this vaccine to be mandated for school children. None.
You want to "minimize" the risk of getting HPV? Condoms do not protect skin surfaces that can be infected. Pap smears do not prevent HPV infection. Not having sex and always using condoms becomes a problem for those who wish to have children. Much as you might wish it to be true, your children will not always follow your advice about sexual behaviors. Meanwhile, there is a safe and effective vaccine that will prevent infection with the strains of HPV that cause 90% of HPV associated cancers.

Quote:
Do you mean, HPV?
Yes, thanks for noting the typo.

Quote:
It's not a good thing to mandate this vaccine.
It is, because there is no reason to doubt the extreme safety of the HPV vaccine.

Quote:
People do have an inherent right to choose or refuse medications. You are in favor of forcefully injecting people against their will? Forced chemo? Forced surgery?
We are talking about vaccines, not other medical treatments, and specifically vaccines for children. Parents who refuse medical care for their children may indeed see their children removed from their care and treated - including chemo for cancers with high cure rates and surgery when the expected outcome is good. We do not allow parents to kill their children by withholding medical care.

Quote:
My view allows me to decide how to take care of my body and my health. Injecting vaccinations for any and everything they are available for is counterproductive to the plan. Your fear should not interfere with other people's choice to forgo injections.
But you are also making decisions about the health of your children, who cannot decide for themselves - decisions that have an impact on everyone in the community. Choose not to vaccinate them, if you wish. Just realize that a consequence in California is not being able to send them to public school.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:56 PM

4,579 posts, read 4,451,950 times
Quote:
I know this has been explained in this thread repeatedly. In some areas, there is NOT a high enough level of vaccination. Therein lies the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or