U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 11:24 PM

8,188 posts, read 21,771,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post

You have all the right in the world to not have your kids be vaccinated, just don't expect society to accommodate you or your kids because you buy into goofy conspiracy theories. Keep them at home where they only represent a danger to themselves.
Here is what I do not understand:

The parents have the right to not allow their children to be vaccinated. Many will disagree with a parents decision to not vaccinate, but nearly all agree parents are within their rights to declare such a wish. Practically no one will considered the children's rights. Now, of course if one chooses not to vaccinate they will claim the decision was made in the best interests of the child, but how do they know? And what happens if the child gets the measles or polio and then later finds out that the only reason why they got the disease was because their parents chose not to vaccinate?

I imagine a few "Uh...." from parents and once "loving" children growing up to be hateful adults.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:28 PM

1,112 posts, read 806,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I most certainly have had the flu. Your link says that most people get it twice every decade. I guess I've been lucky because I haven't gotten it nearly that often, despite not getting vaccinated.
Was it bird flu?

Old 04-28-2015, 06:05 AM

2,839 posts, read 1,581,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
My tax dollars should not be spent on stupid people not following basic health care treatments.
But you're ok with stupid people getting flu vaccine that's ineffective at best (since it is based on the strai that hit a year or two prior, not the one that will be brewing the next spring) or crippling / deadly for the unlucky few, because a multibillion dollar industry has been aggressively lobbying on state government level and amongst the hospital insurance providers ?

Nobody's arguing that some vaccines are necessary. The flu vaccine, by it's very nature, is a gamble, it is made ahead of flu season based on a prediction (best educated guess based on the past patterns ) of what strain of flu will be prevalent the next flu season. There are probably hundreds if not thousands of flu strains, some so different the vaccine based on one would be ineffective for another. The flu shots are being made at best 6 months in advance, administered in the early fall, the separate flu outbreaks come in fall, winter and spring, different strains, from all over the globe, almost impossible to predict when they start manufacturing the vaccine half a year prior.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:07 AM

30,560 posts, read 9,135,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post

Are you for or against it? Why or why not.

I find it supremely annoying when posters ask others' opinions on controversial subjects, yet fail to disclose theirs at the outset.

BTW, I'm against it. California should stick its governmental beak into the hordes of unvaccinated illegals spreading gawd-knows-what, instead of running after Americans, with needles.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:24 AM

8,546 posts, read 5,277,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

The parents have the right to not allow their children to be vaccinated. Many will disagree with a parents decision to not vaccinate, but nearly all agree parents are within their rights to declare such a wish. Practically no one will considered the children's rights. Now, of course if one chooses not to vaccinate they will claim the decision was made in the best interests of the child, but how do they know? And what happens if the child gets the measles or polio and then later finds out that the only reason why they got the disease was because their parents chose not to vaccinate?

I imagine a few "Uh...." from parents and once "loving" children growing up to be hateful adults.
Most parents have the best interest of their children in mind and most do not make these types of decisions lightly. I had chicken pox when I was a child, the idea that I'd hate my parents because of that experience is laughable.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:38 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,560,749 times
Good, I don't want to get infected by the spawn of anti-vax idiots.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:40 AM

8,546 posts, read 5,277,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
Good, I don't want to get infected by the spawn of anti-vax idiots.
Are you up to date on ALL of your vaccines?

Old 04-28-2015, 09:41 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,052,933 times
Quote:

Pretty much all kids with loony parents on either side of the spectrum (hippie parents or right wing nut job parents) end up hating their parents as adults.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:47 AM

3,510 posts, read 2,799,687 times
Quote:

This is why the courts have repeatedly cited the idea that "children should not be martyr's for their parents causes" and why in custody cases, judges will often turn over the decision making to the parent who is looking to get the child vaccinated, as well as provide proper medical care period. This is where the system sorts of equalizes since if the mother is the tinfoil conspiracy type, the judge will almost always side with the father and grant them full custody or at minimum, full authority over healthcare decisions.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:49 AM

3,510 posts, read 2,799,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Are you for or against it? Why or why not.

I find it supremely annoying when posters ask others' opinions on controversial subjects, yet fail to disclose theirs at the outset.

BTW, I'm against it. California should stick its governmental beak into the hordes of unvaccinated illegals spreading gawd-knows-what, instead of running after Americans, with needles.

Except as mentioned, those "unvaccinated illegals" actually are vaccinated at a higher rate than Americans in most places. Jenny McCarthy isn't down in Mexico, neither are discredited former doctors who still claim a link between autism and vaccination despite that it has been proven false repeatedly, they don't have people using "personal exemptions" to get out of vaccination, its a routine part of growing up in countries where they still trust their doctors.

Quote:
According to World Health Organization estimates, the U.S. has a measles vaccination rate of 92 percent, while Mexico and Nicaragua have 99 percent vaccination rates and Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador each have 93 percent vaccination rates. If anything, those countries should be concerned about Americans coming down to visit.

http://theweek.com/articles/537527/n...asles-outbreak
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or