U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-10-2015, 12:47 PM
 
8,541 posts, read 5,262,232 times
Reputation: 9100

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Have I missed anything?

Yes, You missed answering my question. Why can't you answer? It should not be hard. If you support HPV Vaccine mandates for school then you should be able to tell us why you support them. If you don't support mandates for HPV then just say so.

 
Old 08-10-2015, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Marquette, Mich
1,022 posts, read 383,875 times
Reputation: 2322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Do you believe the doctors and scientists that the tobacco industry employs to say tobacco is safe? Hey they're scientists...who are you to disagree?
Show me a widely accepted (within the scientific community) study about the safety of tobacco that's been published recently. There have been innumerable reviews refuting the findings in reports on "low harm" cigarettes. I have read a couple of those. That's basically science saying, "This is rubbish." So...I guess I don't understand your point.
 
Old 08-10-2015, 12:48 PM
 
Location: BC, Arizona
1,170 posts, read 747,574 times
Reputation: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
In your world, I suppose that 2 + 2 = 5? Or 6? I'd have to think hard about a greater leap in logic than what is found here:
So in your logic, if not government or industry, who would fund science?
 
Old 08-10-2015, 12:49 PM
 
8,541 posts, read 5,262,232 times
Reputation: 9100
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
I would never presume to answer for the above poster, but my answer is this: Because that's the at-risk population.
I'll still wait for tlvancouver to answer for herself but just to be clear, are you saying that you support school mandates for HPV simply because the population is at a slight risk for getting cervical cancer? You think that the state has the right to ban kids from school for not getting the HPV vaccine?
 
Old 08-10-2015, 12:51 PM
 
8,541 posts, read 5,262,232 times
Reputation: 9100
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Show me a widely accepted (within the scientific community) study about the safety of tobacco that's been published recently. There have been innumerable reviews refuting the findings in reports on "low harm" cigarettes. I have read a couple of those. That's basically science saying, "This is rubbish." So...I guess I don't understand your point.

Why haven't we banned cigarettes?
 
Old 08-10-2015, 12:53 PM
 
8,541 posts, read 5,262,232 times
Reputation: 9100
Gardasil Vaccine Likely To Be Biggest Medical Scandal Of All Time – According To Former Merck Doctor
 
Old 08-10-2015, 12:56 PM
 
Location: BC, Arizona
1,170 posts, read 747,574 times
Reputation: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I'll still wait for tlvancouver to answer for herself but just to be clear, are you saying that you support school mandates for HPV simply because the population is at a slight risk for getting cervical cancer? You think that the state has the right to ban kids from school for not getting the HPV vaccine?
I'm flattered that you're so interested in my opinion, blushing really

It's an at risk group, and Rhode Island has gone with the CDC recommendations, which seem reasonable to me. The miniscule risks of vaccines traded off against the very real risks of disease are compelling to me.

By the way, I've stated this at least twice, very clearly. I'm not sure why you are so intent in having EVERYONE repeat themselves.

I hope that mandates ARE extended to new vaccines, based on a public health risk benefit analysis and good solid scientific evidence.

If the science evolved, and the evidence established that any of these vaccines was more risky than they are now, or the benefits were less than they are now, I would consider that evidence and make a decision about whether I continue to support those vaccines. That's the cool thing about science it improves and evolves.
 
Old 08-10-2015, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Marquette, Mich
1,022 posts, read 383,875 times
Reputation: 2322
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
If you think that paps are too invasive then you don't have to get them. There are no mandates for paps. I personally don't think they are a big deal at all. Even if you get the HPV vaccine you are still supposed to get paps. It's not like getting the HPV vaccine negates the need for paps so not sure what the argument is about.

Having a needle filled with toxins and other questionable ingredients injected into ones body is far more invasive then a 3 minute pap smear. My opinion of course. Remember that there are no mandates for pap smears, only for vaccines. You have a choice not to get a pap but the teenagers in RI do not have a choice to forgo the HPV vaccine if they wish to retain their right to a public education.

If you want to ignore the hundreds of stories regarding severe reactions, that is your choice. You, however should not force vaccinations on those in the form of school mandates, especially for things that can't be caught in the classroom.

Sigh. I get my paps. But I don't understand the contention that they are not "invasive." They ARE literally invasive. If not, you're not getting them right.
INVASIVE: (of medical procedures) involving the introduction of instruments or other objects into the body or body cavities.

Again, stop with the "it's no big deal" garbage. I say vaccinations are no big deal. That means you'll change your mind, right? Oh, wait. No, you think THEY are a big deal, so...who's deal is bigger? Why is your "deal" bigger than mine? I get your concerns. I understand them, because I have had many of the same ones. I just have done enough research to know the things you posit as concerns are not based on fact.

When you talk of mandates, you say they "have no choice IF they..." whatever. Well, IF they want their children to go to school, they MUST get the vaccines is still a choice, even if you don't like it. That is true, you don't have to like it, but it is true. And that is going to spread to other states. It will. And you will still not like it.

Just relax, it's not a big deal. I, and most of my friends, have had a full course of vaccinations and it has been no problem.
 
Old 08-10-2015, 12:57 PM
 
Location: BC, Arizona
1,170 posts, read 747,574 times
Reputation: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Why haven't we banned cigarettes?
I thought you liked choice?
 
Old 08-10-2015, 12:57 PM
 
5,644 posts, read 3,194,565 times
Reputation: 6627
I think the sheep support anything the shepherd tells them to do. Sheep do not think for themselves they just blindly follow what they are told to do.

I am sure if the CDC recommended that new Ebola vaccine in the US, they would be running out and getting that too, and DEMANDING that for public school attendance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top