U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-18-2015, 05:37 PM
 
5,671 posts, read 3,213,409 times
Reputation: 6656

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The immunity from the whole cell pertussis vaccine lasts longer than that from the acellular vaccine. Yes, adults need boosters. That is why there is an effort to get adults to take the Tdap. Most who have not done so are not anti-vaccine, they are just unaware of the need for the vaccine. Meanwhile, the emphasis on vaccinating pregnant women and family contacts of infants is one way to protect that vulnerable population. It is stupid for a pregnant woman to refuse the Tdap and the stupidity is compounded if the mother exposes her child to unvaccinated family members.



Lower prices for HPV vaccine have been negotiated in poorer countries, making them cost effective there.

Human papillomavirus vaccine support - Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance

Cost-effectiveness of female human papillomavirus vaccination in 179 countries: a PRIME modelling study | Excellence in Pediatrics Institute

Gardasil 9 is cost effective in the US:

Use of 9-Valent Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccine: Updated HPV Vaccination Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices

Including protection against all HPV associated disease, in males as well as females, not just cervical cancer, increases the cost effectiveness.



Suzy would appreciate a link to where she has said what you allege she did.

The rest of your post is gibberish and could stand clarification.



My logic is fine.

You flunked statistics.

Pertussis statistics for 2014:

http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/downloa...eport-2014.pdf

California: 18.1 cases per 100,000
Mississippi: 2.3 cases per 100,000
W. Virginia: 0.9 cases per 100,000

Those are rates. The "per 100,000" is the adjustment for population difference. That is standard epidemiological practice.
Good. Fine. Mandate your childhood vaccinations. Leave us adults alone. I feel for parents of young children, I really do, but if Granny doesn't want your Tdap, or anything else, nothing you can do about it. Right?

Can only speak for my own family, but if my daughter doesn't want to be injected during her pregnancy, as an adult woman, that is her business. No laws against that, are there? There certainly aren't any laws forcing family members of a newborn to be vaccinated, are there? She had such a bad experience giving birth in a hospital with them pushing all kinds of drugs on her last time, she isn't giving birth there this time there. Stop that?

FYI, both my daughter, who is a stay at home Mom, and her husband are both certified teachers. They most certainly could homeschool their own children. They have considered that. However, that will NEVER prevent their children from staying out of society. THAT is what you so conveniently ignore with all your smug mandating this and mandating that.

Thinking back now, about 7 years ago I got this cold and my cough took a couple of months to go away, literally. Never went to a doctor. Maybe I HAD whooping cough? No idea. It was pretty bad for a while. I myself might have had it and passed it on. No, cannot be my DPT from the 50's made me immune? Only CHILDREN get that.

Bye, bye.

 
Old 08-18-2015, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
3,510 posts, read 2,802,049 times
Reputation: 6371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Good. Fine. Mandate your childhood vaccinations.

Bye, bye.





 
Old 08-18-2015, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
3,510 posts, read 2,802,049 times
Reputation: 6371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Mississippi has a population of 3 million people. West Viriginia has a population of just under 2 million people.

California has a population of 38 million people. Florida and NY have populations of around 18 million people each.

HOWEVER, it is because Mississippi and West Virginia mandate childhood vaccinations w/o exemptions is why they have lower rates of contagious diseases???? They have fewer PEOPLE to catch these diseases. That statement is absurd from Suzy Q. ROFL CITIES in those other 3 states have far more people, and TOURISTS, than the entire population of those 2 states combined.

Flunked logic.


Irrelevant of population those states have not had measles cases in decades while measles cases have been popping up much everywhere else. States that are equal in size but with less effective vaccination policies have had worse and in some cases, significantly worse outcomes. Neither state is an island or has some great degree of isolation that would greatly deter infection, they simply have smart, effective vaccine policy. In Mississippi, with 99.7% of incoming kindergartners being fully vaccinated, there's no reason to think that infection by any number of vaccine-preventable diseases would be a problem.
Quote:

A 1999 study analyzed data on children collected from the CDC’s Measles Surveillance System between 1985 and 1992. The study evaluated differences in the relative risk of contracting measles among vaccinators and exemptors. Compared to people who were vaccinated, exemptors were were 35 times more likely on average to contract measles. Their data also showed that if the proportion of exemptors increased, so would the number of measles cases among the whole population.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/02/miss...r-two-decades/



The bottomline is simple, get kids vaccinated as a condition of attending school, get rid of all exemptions but for medical reasons and these diseases go away.



Your illogical ranting and lack of common sense aside, the data is pretty clear that the vaccine mandates in Mississippi and West Virginia haven't been just effective, but remarkably so. They are truly a model for the rest of the country to follow, at least when it comes to rational and scientifically backed data and not being ruled by weird conspiracy theories.
 
Old 08-18-2015, 06:34 PM
 
8,334 posts, read 8,615,198 times
Reputation: 26050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Irrelevant of population those states have not had measles cases in decades while measles cases have been popping up much everywhere else. States that are equal in size but with less effective vaccination policies have had worse and in some cases, significantly worse outcomes. Neither state is an island or has some great degree of isolation that would greatly deter infection, they simply have smart, effective vaccine policy. In Mississippi, with 99.7% of incoming kindergartners being fully vaccinated, there's no reason to think that infection by any number of vaccine-preventable diseases would be a problem.



Mississippi has no religious exemption for vaccines -- and hasn't seen measles in over two decades



The bottomline is simple, get kids vaccinated as a condition of attending school, get rid of all exemptions but for medical reasons and these diseases go away.



Your illogical ranting and lack of common sense aside, the data is pretty clear that the vaccine mandates in Mississippi and West Virginia haven't been just effective, but remarkably so. They are truly a model for the rest of the country to follow, at least when it comes to rational and scientifically backed data and not being ruled by weird conspiracy theories.

I just want to add this. Irrespective of vaccination, disease will spread more rapidly where there are more hosts. Areas with high population densities like New York and California are going to be more prone to VPD than sparsely populated states like Wyoming or Idaho are. Nothing magical there. As the overall population of the USA and the world increase, infectious disease will become more of an issue.

It doesn't make Mississippi or West Virginia's vaccination law irrelevant. Its simply those states have different demographic characteristics than the area from Washington, D.C. north to Boston has along the eastern seaboard.

In short, a good law is a good law, regardless of where it is implemented.
 
Old 08-18-2015, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,401,265 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The immunity from the whole cell pertussis vaccine lasts longer than that from the acellular vaccine. Yes, adults need boosters. That is why there is an effort to get adults to take the Tdap. Most who have not done so are not anti-vaccine, they are just unaware of the need for the vaccine. Meanwhile, the emphasis on vaccinating pregnant women and family contacts of infants is one way to protect that vulnerable population. It is stupid for a pregnant woman to refuse the Tdap and the stupidity is compounded if the mother exposes her child to unvaccinated family members.



Lower prices for HPV vaccine have been negotiated in poorer countries, making them cost effective there.

Human papillomavirus vaccine support - Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance

Cost-effectiveness of female human papillomavirus vaccination in 179 countries: a PRIME modelling study | Excellence in Pediatrics Institute

Gardasil 9 is cost effective in the US:

Use of 9-Valent Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccine: Updated HPV Vaccination Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices

Including protection against all HPV associated disease, in males as well as females, not just cervical cancer, increases the cost effectiveness.



Suzy would appreciate a link to where she has said what you allege she did.

The rest of your post is gibberish and could stand clarification.



My logic is fine.

You flunked statistics.

Pertussis statistics for 2014:

http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/downloa...eport-2014.pdf

California: 18.1 cases per 100,000
Mississippi: 2.3 cases per 100,000
W. Virginia: 0.9 cases per 100,000

Those are rates. The "per 100,000" is the adjustment for population difference. That is standard epidemiological practice.
HPV has not been proven as a cause of cancer. Can you prove it is?
 
Old 08-18-2015, 08:32 PM
 
Location: BC, Arizona
1,170 posts, read 750,050 times
Reputation: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
HPV has not been proven as a cause of cancer. Can you prove it is?
You either can't or won't read the very clear posts answering this. Please keep up if you can, or get someone to help you. Repeating things over and over is why this thread is intolerably long.
 
Old 08-18-2015, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Washington state
4,718 posts, read 2,321,903 times
Reputation: 13822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

Can only speak for my own family, but if my daughter doesn't want to be injected during her pregnancy, as an adult woman, that is her business. No laws against that, are there?
If your daughter doesn't want to be injected during pregnancy, then let's hope she steers clear from unvaccinated children who may be harboring measles or rubella. Or she might not have a pregnancy to worry about. As far as I know, there aren't any laws at all against trying for a miscarriage, but an abortion would be safer.
Quote:

FYI, both my daughter, who is a stay at home Mom, and her husband are both certified teachers. They most certainly could homeschool their own children. They have considered that. However, that will NEVER prevent their children from staying out of society. THAT is what you so conveniently ignore with all your smug mandating this and mandating that.
Why answer? We've explained this one over and over and over and over, but just like the science and biology we've shown you, you obviously aren't getting it.

Quote:
Thinking back now, about 7 years ago I got this cold and my cough took a couple of months to go away, literally. Never went to a doctor. Maybe I HAD whooping cough? No idea. It was pretty bad for a while. I myself might have had it and passed it on. No, cannot be my DPT from the 50's made me immune? Only CHILDREN get that.
If you aren't sure you had whooping cough, then you didn't have it. Something as serious as whooping cough in an adult would send you to the ER. Unless you were trying to commit suicide. Yeah, but thanks anyway for being selfish and inconsiderate by going out in public to get everyone else sick. Real big of you.

Quote:
Bye, bye.
Buh-bye!

By the way, is that a promise?
 
Old 08-19-2015, 12:31 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,576 posts, read 26,211,757 times
Reputation: 26628
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
HPV has not been proven as a cause of cancer. Can you prove it is?
The evidence is summarized here, with 276 references.

The causal relation between human papillomavirus and cervical cancer
 
Old 08-19-2015, 12:37 AM
mm4
 
5,712 posts, read 2,965,249 times
Reputation: 1941
Oh what's this:

"The problem isn’t confined to the groovier bastions of Marin County and San Francisco, either; Silicon Valley is part of it too (see “The Sickeningly Low Vaccination Rates at Silicon Valley Day Cares” and its follow-up in Wired this year). The very geeks we as a culture lionize for their analytical gifts now stand at the vanguard of a plainly irrational movement that threatens to jeopardize public health."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/23/bo...silberman.html

Those ignorant slopeheads in the Bay Area.
 
Old 08-19-2015, 01:45 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
3,510 posts, read 2,802,049 times
Reputation: 6371
Anti-vaxxers gone wild in the Outback. A poster comparing vaccine mandates to rape has been widely condemned and blasted in the Australian media.


http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...ter-says#img-1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top