U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 08:30 AM

84,962 posts, read 98,795,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Colorado now requires a second varicella shot for students enrolled in public school. My youngest contracted chicken pox after having his first shot as a toddler. It's noted in the vaccine record we submitted from his pediatrician, so he is exempt. His older sister will have a booster next week at the same time as her third and final HPV shot, and she will turn in the updated record to the health office the next day. The district has no interest in her HPV vaccine status, as it is not a required vaccine. I'm not sure what to do about my oldest, who is graduating in a couple of weeks. I plan to talk it over with his doctor.
Congrats on having an almost HS graduate!

What vaccine concerns do you have regarding your oldest son? I presume he's had all his required school vaccines. He should have had two doses of Menactra by now (for meningitis), and there is a new meningitis B vaccine just on the market that you should ask your doc about. He should have had a Tdap (required) at age 11-12, when he went to 6th grade. That will hold him until age 21-22. He should have the HPV and Hepatitis A series. He should get an annual flu vaccination. There are no other vaccines an adult needs at present, unless they travel internationally to certain places. (Varies by destination.)

Old 04-30-2015, 08:40 AM

3,510 posts, read 2,794,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Math is universal. 2/3 do NOT get Shingles. Which is the greater number?

What you don't seem to get or are deliberately being obtuse about is that in the epidemiological sense, 1 out of 3 is a FREAKING HUGE number. On a scale of 100 million, you're talking about 33 million people, or you know, more than the combined population of the ten biggest cities in the U.S.

1 out of 3 is extremely significant and a very high number.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:48 AM

84,962 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
What you don't seem to get or are deliberately being obtuse about is that in the epidemiological sense, 1 out of 3 is a FREAKING HUGE number. On a scale of 100 million, you're talking about 33 million people, or you know, more than the combined population of the ten biggest cities in the U.S.

1 out of 3 is extremely significant and a very high number.
Agreed! If there were a vaccine that caused illness such as this in out of of three recipients, well, it wouldn't be on the market!

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-30-2015 at 09:20 AM..

Old 04-30-2015, 09:01 AM

1,112 posts, read 802,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I'm autistic myself and think the vaccine causing autism myth is crap. Even if it was true, my condition is preferable to being dead or in an iron lung.
I agree that the autism and vaccines theory is complete hogwash-and there is data to prove it.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:02 AM

8,541 posts, read 5,262,232 times
Shingles cases are going up despite routine chicken pox vaccination so even attempting to blame shingles on those who don't vaccinate for chicken pox is delusional at best.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:31 AM

21,489 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Shingles cases are going up despite routine chicken pox vaccination so even attempting to blame shingles on those who don't vaccinate for chicken pox is delusional at best.
Shingles cases are going up in adults, most of whom have never been vaccinated, and who carry latent wild chickenpox virus.

Who is "blaming shingles on those who don't vaccinate?"

All we are saying is that current evidence points to a lower risk of shingles in vaccinated persons. The incidence of shingles is going down in children since the vaccine was introduced.

Incidence and Clinical Characteristics of Herpes Zoster Among Children in the Varicella Vaccine Era, 2005

"Conclusions. HZ incidence in vaccinated children was 79% lower than in unvaccinated children. Among vaccinated children, half of HZ cases were due to wild-type VZV."

In other words, of the vaccinated children half who had shingles had caught the wild chickenpox virus. Some of the data for the study was collected before the second dose of vaccine was recommended, which reduces the risk of breakthrough chickenpox.

There is no doubt that those who get chickenpox disease have a one in three chance of getting shingles in their lifetime, one in two if they live to be 85. That is the risk your child will carry if he catches chickenpox.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:00 PM

8,541 posts, read 5,262,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Shingles cases are going up in adults, most of whom have never been vaccinated, and who carry latent wild chickenpox virus.

Who is "blaming shingles on those who don't vaccinate?"

All we are saying is that current evidence points to a lower risk of shingles in vaccinated persons. The incidence of shingles is going down in children since the vaccine was introduced.

Incidence and Clinical Characteristics of Herpes Zoster Among Children in the Varicella Vaccine Era, 2005

"Conclusions. HZ incidence in vaccinated children was 79% lower than in unvaccinated children. Among vaccinated children, half of HZ cases were due to wild-type VZV."

In other words, of the vaccinated children half who had shingles had caught the wild chickenpox virus. Some of the data for the study was collected before the second dose of vaccine was recommended, which reduces the risk of breakthrough chickenpox.

There is no doubt that those who get chickenpox disease have a one in three chance of getting shingles in their lifetime, one in two if they live to be 85. That is the risk your child will carry if he catches chickenpox.
There was a comment in this thread blaming shingles on those who don't vaccinate for chicken pox. Since shingles cases are going up in a massive way and have been since the mid 90's, I think it's a bit silly to latch onto very limited suggestions that the chicken pox vaccine decreases the incidence of shingles.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:14 PM

21,489 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
There was a comment in this thread blaming shingles on those who don't vaccinate for chicken pox. Since shingles cases are going up in a massive way and have been since the mid 90's, I think it's a bit silly to latch onto very limited suggestions that the chicken pox vaccine decreases the incidence of shingles.
Shingles incidence has not gone up "in a massive way." The increase is significant, but appears to be about 2 to 4 cases per thousand.

In addition, for those over 65 years of age, the trend appears downward since 2006, which is when the shingles vaccine was introduced. From the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/shingles/images/s...-1992-2010.gif

The decrease in the incidence of shingles in vaccinated children is clear cut, not a "very limited suggestion".

Old 04-30-2015, 01:29 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,794,198 times
Quote:

Considering shingles cases were going up even before the chicken pox vaccine was given and that most of the recipients of that particular vaccine are in their 30's at best, it really doesn't seem to say much about cases of shingles showing tremendous increases particularly in people over 65.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:17 PM

8,305 posts, read 8,580,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Considering shingles cases were going up even before the chicken pox vaccine was given and that most of the recipients of that particular vaccine are in their 30's at best, it really doesn't seem to say much about cases of shingles showing tremendous increases particularly in people over 65.
I also think its worth pointing out that its hard to logically see any causal relationship between a vaccine that works by creating antibodies that destroy the chicken pox virus and the later occurrence in life of Shingles which is caused by the same virus. There are all kinds of things in life that by coincidence, occur simultaneously, yet have no connection to one another. Television viewing of the show Mad Men may have increased during the last ten years, along with the incidence of breast cancer. Yet, no one in their right mind would claim the two are related.

The study that Suzy quoted clearly demonstrates Shingles was increasing before the chicken pox virus was being given. That destroys the correlation argument.

If we can prevent Shingles by either vaccinating for chicken pox early in life or by vaccinating for Shingles later in life its a good thing. Shingles are very painful, but ten to eighteen percent of those with Shingles develop PHN or post herpetic neuralgia. This is an extremely painful condition where pain continues to linger after Shingles blisters are gone. I understand some who have it commit suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or