U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 06:12 PM

17,086 posts, read 9,867,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
On topic: What about the kids who cannot have vaccines for whatever reason? Some kids cannot safely have certain vaccines. Are those kids still allowed to go to school? And if so, why is it assumed that they're not walking around carrying diseases?
Medical exemptions are permitted; personal exemptions are not.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:12 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,948,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And I am from the generation that didn't have these vaccines. You caught it, you stayed home for a week and went on with your life.

Totally.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:18 PM

6,366 posts, read 3,580,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Totally.

Please do not attempt to LIE to a person born in 1948 with that picture. I was NEVER put in an Iron Lung for Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Chicken Pox, or Scarlet Fever which I all had before the age of 6 years old.

Your SCARE targets will not work for those of us who were alive, and SURVIVED, to beget YOU.

Grandma says "FORCE me to vaccinate MYSELF". Dr. Jenny parents of little children? Oh, you are CLUELESS if you think that.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:25 PM

11,200 posts, read 6,514,988 times
Quote:
Not sure if you completely grasp the basis of herd immunity. If you provide "personal immunity" to a high enough percentage of the healthy population, the disease simply will not have enough opportunity for infection to persist in a particular population. Its why we went from hundreds of thousands of measles cases annually in the U.S. to less than a hundred after mass vaccination.

You have all the right in the world to not have your kids be vaccinated, just don't expect society to accommodate you or your kids because you buy into goofy conspiracy theories. Keep them at home where they only represent a danger to themselves.
Personal immunity applies, for example, to things like influenza where even the highest vaccination rates can't reduce the spread in the general public.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
what noncommunicable diseases are you speaking of?
Tetanus, for example.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:29 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,755,784 times
I am all for children receiving their vaccinations as recommended. There are members of our citizenry, from the very young to the elderly who for a variety of reasons cannot be vaccinated and so as a humane society we attempt to protect the weak among us. It seems like very simple common sense to me.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
As far as I can tell, the only non-communicable disease in the childhood vaccine schedule for which there is no herd immunity is tetanus. All vaccines "only confer personal immunity" but is the cumulative effect of large numbers of vaccinated persons that produce herd immunity. It seems some people have strange ideas about what herd immunity means. All it does mean is that if one person gets infected, the fewer susceptible people he comes into contact with, the lower the risk that an epidemic will occur.

"Everyone else"? Sorry, the vast majority understand the value of vaccines and use them. Those who choose not to do so will not be forced to use them, but the majority can say that we wish to reduce the risk to those who have a legitimate medical reason not to vaccinate by excluding unvaccinated children without a medical contraindication from schools.

Not unconstitutional at all. Where does it say in the Constitution that you have a right not to vaccinate? In fact, in the past children have been vaccinated against their parents' wishes during outbreaks of disease.

https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RS21414.pdf

Children Vaccinated After Court Order Is Upheld - latimes

During that outbreak, the disease spread from the religious community to others outside of it. Your rights end where they affect the rights of others. Your right to risk catching a disease that you can pass to another person does not trump the right of the other person to not get sick. Vaccinating yourself mitigates that risk.
I addressed most of this in my previous post. Most people vaccinate willingly, but they should not be forced. Courts make bad decisions all the time. That doesn't mean forcing a vaccine on someone does not violate their personal rights.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:30 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,507,006 times
Quote:
Totally.

LOL..not that generation my friend.

I don't recall any kids in school dying from mumps, measles, chicken pox. Because there were no vaccines the diseases were not seen as they are today.

We did get the polio vaccine.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:31 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,948,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Please do not attempt to LIE to a person born in 1948 with that picture. I was NEVER put in an Iron Lung for Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Chicken Pox, or Scarlet Fever which I all had before the age of 6 years old.

Your SCARE targets will not work for those of us who were alive, and SURVIVED, to beget YOU.

Grandma says "FORCE me to vaccinate MYSELF". Dr. Jenny parents of little children? Oh, you are CLUELESS if you think that.

Thank you for your condescending tone. And while you may not have suffered any long-term ill effects, many others did.

My grandfather wound up with lifelong disabilities due to a polio infection in his youth. As a result of that, he became a huge advocate of vaccination so that nobody else would have to go through what he did.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:32 PM

20,126 posts, read 11,162,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
Heck, that was the law where I was 'way back when polio had the nation terrified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or