Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 09:04 PM

26,646 posts, read 13,577,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
This policy has already been long standing in quite a few other states, as California goes, other states will be watching closely and its likely that this will be popping up in your state as well, as it should. Don't want to vaccinate your kids, by all means, feel free to home school them.
By "quite a few", do you mean two? California is following in the foot steps of West Virginia and Mississippi. Those are the only other states that don't allow any exemptions other then medical.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:06 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,009,418 times
Quote:
Nice try, but this has no basis in reality. Much of those "illegal immigrants" are vaccinated at higher levels than people here in the U.S. The people in Central and South America actually trust medical science and aren't running around with flimsy conspiracy theories of the Illuminati trying to make their kids autistic.
They aren't vaccinated for Bird Flu, Swine Flu, and Hand Foot & Mouth, all of which major outbreaks have occurred in Southern California near the border. I wonder if that's just a funny coincidence though. Probably not...

Old 04-27-2015, 09:22 PM

36,961 posts, read 40,902,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
I've seen so many people get the flu after they got a flu shot that I still refuse to ever get a flu shot, and I haven't had the flu in probably 10 years.
You cannot get the flu from a flu shot. If you know someone who got sick after a flu shot, either the person already had been exposed and the vaccine did not have time to work (it takes two weeks) or it was not a strain of flu covered by the vaccine or it was not the flu at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
When the Sabin Sundays were held, everyone got the polio vaccine, kids and adults. I distinctly remember my parents taking it along with us kids. Here are some pictures.
Witness to history: Photographer’s polio vaccination pictures take us back in time | Robert Sterling: Notes on News
Yep, grownups took the vaccine. Adults got polio, too.

This is my hometown. I was in the seventh grade:

https://archive.org/details/babies_and_breadwinners_1

Here are the stats for vaccine coverage in California. Note that the Head Start kids get their vaccines.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/immu...Assessment.pdf

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 04-27-2015 at 09:32 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 09:25 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,659,096 times
Quote:
They aren't vaccinated for Bird Flu, Swine Flu, and Hand Foot & Mouth, all of which major outbreaks have occurred in Southern California near the border. I wonder if that's just a funny coincidence though. Probably not...

"Major Outbreaks" huh.....I'm sure you think so. The reality is that the world is a smaller place than ever before, as we saw with Ebola, virtually any disease is a plane flight away, so pointing the fingers at immigrants just reeks of straight xenophobia when it could just as easily be an American citizen who is returning home from vacation.

The diseases that we can protect against, we should do so, hence why vaccination is so important.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:29 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,659,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
By "quite a few", do you mean two? California is following in the foot steps of West Virginia and Mississippi. Those are the only other states that don't allow any exemptions other then medical.

New York requires your kids to be removed from school if there's an outbreak of a vaccine-preventable disease if they are unvaccinated and kept out of school until the public health authority has signaled an end to the outbreak, a group of parents recently lost a court case claiming that they had some sort of religious exemption. I think the movement is towards tightening up the law when it comes to exemptions and several other states are discussing legislation that would have similar effects to that of California.

California vaccination bill may reshape laws across U.S. - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports
Quote:
Vaccine laws across the nation may be toughened, observers say, if California passes a fervently debated bill that would strip parents' rights to exempt kids from immunizations based on personal beliefs.A potential end to California's opt-out provision gained ground Wednesday when the state senate's education committee voted 7-2 to require full vaccinations for almost all public school students.
The move came in the wake of "anti-vax" parents were often blamed for the Disneyland measles outbreak that sickened 147 people as it spread to at least five states.
"Other states will be looking carefully at the California experience if this goes through," said Dr. Eric Kodish, director of the Cleveland Clinic's Center for Ethics, Humanities and Spiritual Care. "If they become a place where, as I would predict, fewer children get sick and die, it's something other states would want to look at."
Even opponents believe the bill's passing could have sweeping effect across the nation.
"If it passes, oh my gosh, all hell is going to break loose. All eyes are on California," said Elaine Shtein, 34, of San Jose. She blames her five-year-old son's autism diagnosis on his vaccinations. She's one of many parents who have criticized the bill. Last week, she brought her daughter, Sophia, 7, to attend a senate hearing.
Previous senate sessions spurred spirited testimonies from parents against the measure: Like when Robert Kennedy Jr. — the son of former U.S. Attorney General Robert Kennedy — also came to Sacramento and characterized the number of children injured by vaccines as "a holocaust."
On Wednesday, there was no testimony, just a vote. Still, opponents arrived at the Capitol clad in red clothing and carrying red roses to represent kids injured by or who died from vaccinations, the Sacramento Bee reported.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
What Are the Vaccine Exemption Laws in Your State? | The Vaccine War | FRONTLINE | PBS

"While the fight in California may be the most high profile in the nation, it’s far from the only one. In 2015, at least 19 states have introduced legislation addressing two of the primary avenues for a vaccination exemption: personal belief exemptions and religious exemptions."

Only 20 states currently allow personal belief exemptions.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:43 PM

26,646 posts, read 13,577,925 times
Quote:
New York requires your kids to be removed from school if there's an outbreak of a vaccine-preventable disease if they are unvaccinated and kept out of school until the public health authority has signaled an end to the outbreak.
That's not uncommon and I think may be required in all states. It's not at all the same thing as eliminating both personal and religious exemptions. MS and WV are currently the only two states who do not allow either personal or religous exemptions. CA is following suit.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:50 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,453,799 times
Quote:
I've seen so many people get the flu after they got a flu shot that I still refuse to ever get a flu shot, and I haven't had the flu in probably 10 years.
That is not a bad idea. China is on a huge economic and social upswing. But I guess I'd pick Singapore for better air quality.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Bird flu is not affecting humans, though there have been outbreaks in birds in border states - states bordering Canada.

The flu season is winding down, but states in the Northeast are still seeing a good bit of it. Oops, there's that border with Canada again!

Weekly US Map: Influenza Summary Update | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC

Hand, foot, and mouth disease can be caused by any of several viruses, all of which are endemic in the US.

In other words, you need have no fear of our southern neighbors.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:13 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,771,188 times
My tax dollars should not be spent on stupid people not following basic health care treatments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events