Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 12:57 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,963,287 times

Advertisements

I'm autistic myself and think the vaccine causing autism myth is crap. Even if it was true, my condition is preferable to being dead or in an iron lung.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:23 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,311,516 times
I had measles as a 6 month old infant in 1949. Same as that baby from the Disney outbreak. NEITHER of us were put in an IRON LUNG. The majority of babies and children were NOT rushed to a hospital, let alone even a doctor, with something like measles. Measles, mumps, German measles, and chicken pox were considered the same as the FLU. No big deal. Again, you lose all credibility when you put polio and measles in the same category. I seriously doubt that people back then would have been rushing out to get a MMR vaccine. Different mindset today where we have people running to the ER if they had the FLU. Sold a bill of goods by media,

I am very happy that I got those childhood diseases because I now have LIFETIME Immunity. Don't need your vaccination or boosters.

Again, stop showing iron lungs when the discussion is about measles, mumps, ruebella or chicken pox. That is done purely to SCARE people with LIES.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:27 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,598,532 times
Without getting into the same ole, same old debate about vaccination I have questions regarding this specific bill.

Will the people who don't vaccinate and then are forced to homeschool get a tax credit on the money they pay the school system?

And, people with religious exemptions should, imo, be on this bill. I find it unequal to only use the personal choice option when religion is also a personal choice. Why isn't this being addressed? I think if personal choice is being elliminated then religion should also be elliminated. Deciding to be a religion that doesn't vaccinate is still a personal choice. We aren't a religious government, we are a democracy.

Also, those with medical conditions that prevent vaccination, will they be subject to a doctors note yearly on their condition or will a one time note suffice? I would think this would become a yearly observation.

In regards to "no child left behind", kids with good grades but who stay at home for the duration of their illness are getting punished for this.
Now kids with lice are being allowed to attend due to these policies. There are a lot of harmful contagious illness and disease that effect our public school system, the table to discuss them all is now open.

Why make vaccines mandatory and refuse to let children stay home when they get the flu for the amount of time needed to prevent spread?
Why not have the 3 month break during cold and flu season? There are lot's of laws we could change and introduce to improve on our public schools health record. Hopefully this opens up the can.

Will the few vaccine manufacturers we have left be able to keep up with demand? This is also becoming a concern with these new laws. Will shortages prevent attendance? Will your child have to start late or the following year due to vaccine laws? What's the protocol? How much more will it cost us?

Old 04-29-2015, 01:28 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
I had chicken pox at around age 5 in 1965...... my mother had two bouts of shingles in her later years and they were AWFUL .... even left terrible scarring...... you better believe I will pay attention to actual science and do what I can to minimize my chances of coming down with shingles..... ie. getting the shingles vaccine when my highly trained physician recommends it....
There is a new shingles vaccine in the late stages of testing which appears to be about 97% effective, compared to the current one, which is about 50% effective. Stay tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Speculation. Only time will tell.
It was from your link, remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The childhood studies are based on a very limited sets of information. Shingles is very rare in childhood (less then 5% of children get shingles). I can't see anyone drawing any real conclusions about the effect of the vaccine on the incidence of shingles based on these two small studies. We will have to wait and see what happens over time. As of now they can't even figure out why the incidence of shingles has risen so dramatically since the mid 90's.
We know that children who are vaccinated have a lower risk of shingles than those who are not. Feel free to provide any evidence to the contrary.

It is unknown why the incidence of shingles is increasing, but it does not appear to be due to the chickenpox vaccine.

Chickenpox Vaccine Not Responsible for Rise in Shingles, Study Says

"To answer this question, Hales and his colleagues reviewed Medicare claims data from 1992 to 2010 that included about 2.8 million people over the age of 65.

They found that annual rates of shingles increased 39 percent over the 18-year study period. However, they didn't find a statistically significant change in the rate after the introduction of the chickenpox vaccine. They also found that the rate of shingles didn't vary from state to state where there were different rates of chickenpox vaccine coverage."

That was not a small study.

Quote:
There are some interesting point made here as to why Europe has decided against routine chicken pox vaccination. Some of their reason have to do with shingles.
The UK does not include chickenpox on the routine childhood NHS schedule, using the theory that the vaccine will cause the shingles rate to go up as the reason. That would appear to no longer be a valid reason, and there are those calling for a change in policy. Cost seems to be an issue, too, but I suspect the NHS downplays that.

What

Just the Vax: Chicken pox vaccination policy in the UK - did it cost Elana's life?

Varicella vaccination in Europe

"The dramatic reduction in varicella morbidity and mortality rates observed in the USA following varicella URV has also led some experts to suggest that a universal varicella vaccination policy may be most appropriate for Europe, not just for the medical benefits that it would provide, but also for its social and economic advantages."

BMC Medicine | Full text | Varicella vaccination in Europe - taking the practical approach

"Despite European recommendations for varicella vaccination, VZV continues to cause a high number of varicella cases, potentially requiring medical visits or hospitalisations and occasionally leading to long-term sequelae or even death. The majority of varicella complications occur in healthy children, meaning that it is not possible to predict who will be affected.

With the exception of Germany and Greece, most European countries have delayed the introduction of varicella vaccination into the national immunisation schedule. However, with many concerns about the vaccine remaining hypothetical and the new opportunities offered by MMRV vaccines, reassessment may be timely.

Accumulating evidence from countries that have implemented universal varicella vaccination of infants demonstrates a dramatic reduction in the burden of varicella, thus providing the strongest support for widespread implementation of the WHO recommendation for varicella vaccination in European countries."

Failure of some European countries to routinely vaccinate for chickenpox does not mean that is the best policy.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:48 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Will the people who don't vaccinate and then are forced to homeschool get a tax credit on the money they pay the school system?
No, just as people who choose to homeschool for any other reason do not.

Quote:
And, people with religious exemptions should, imo, be on this bill. I find it unequal to only use the personal choice option when religion is also a personal choice. Why isn't this being addressed? I think if personal choice is being elliminated then religion should also be elliminated. Deciding to be a religion that doesn't vaccinate is still a personal choice. We aren't a religious government, we are a democracy.
It would eliminate all but medical exemptions.

Quote:
Also, those with medical conditions that prevent vaccination, will they be subject to a doctors note yearly on their condition or will a one time note suffice? I would think this would become a yearly observation.
Some exemptions are permanent, others temporary. For example, a child who has immunosuppression from a genetic disease would be permanently exempt. One who comes off chemo for leukemia and no longer is suppressed would no longer get a medical exemption.

Quote:
In regards to "no child left behind", kids with good grades but who stay at home for the duration of their illness are getting punished for this.
Now kids with lice are being allowed to attend due to these policies. There are a lot of harmful contagious illness and disease that effect our public school system, the table to discuss them all is now open.

Why make vaccines mandatory and refuse to let children stay home when they get the flu for the amount of time needed to prevent spread?
Why not have the 3 month break during cold and flu season? There are lot's of laws we could change and introduce to improve on our public schools health record. Hopefully this opens up the can.
I would hope that schools would not penalize kids who have a lot of absences for illness, but I know it happens. A child whose doctor says he should not be in school should not be in school. The problem with flu is that it is spread before symptoms appear. By the time one kid has it, the entire school has probably been exposed. So most schools will not close due to flu until a critical level of absenteeism is reached. Flu season is more like six months, too.

Quote:
Will the few vaccine manufacturers we have left be able to keep up with demand? This is also becoming a concern with these new laws. Will shortages prevent attendance? Will your child have to start late or the following year due to vaccine laws? What's the protocol? How much more will it cost us?
We are not talking about a large number of kids, so shortages should not be a problem. Parents will have plenty of time to bring their children up to date, since the changes would not go into effect until next year. In the long run, vaccination saves money.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:39 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
Quote:
Without getting into the same ole, same old debate about vaccination I have questions regarding this specific bill.

These are great questions, poppy, and even more relevant to the discussion then the pros and cons of vaccines. Children who are forced out of the system are in a different position then those who willingly homeschool. It really is not fair that they are required to pay taxes into something that they are barred from using. I also agree that it's wrong to eliminate religious exemptions. There are valid reasons to refuse vaccination based on one's religious beliefs and to punish people because they wish to hold true to their beliefs is just wrong.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:47 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,046,488 times
Way to go, California. Oh, I heard something about kids being allowed with head lice into schools now. Whaaaaaat?

Old 04-29-2015, 04:42 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:

1. Will the people who don't vaccinate and then are forced to homeschool get a tax credit on the money they pay the school system?

2. And, people with religious exemptions should, imo, be on this bill. I find it unequal to only use the personal choice option when religion is also a personal choice. Why isn't this being addressed? I think if personal choice is being elliminated then religion should also be elliminated. Deciding to be a religion that doesn't vaccinate is still a personal choice. We aren't a religious government, we are a democracy.

3. Also, those with medical conditions that prevent vaccination, will they be subject to a doctors note yearly on their condition or will a one time note suffice? I would think this would become a yearly observation.

4. In regards to "no child left behind", kids with good grades but who stay at home for the duration of their illness are getting punished for this.

5. Why make vaccines mandatory and refuse to let children stay home when they get the flu for the amount of time needed to prevent spread?

6. Why not have the 3 month break during cold and flu season? There are lot's of laws we could change and introduce to improve on our public schools health record. Hopefully this opens up the can.

7. Will the few vaccine manufacturers we have left be able to keep up with demand? This is also becoming a concern with these new laws.

8. Will shortages prevent attendance?

9. Will your child have to start late or the following year due to vaccine laws? What's the protocol? How much more will it cost us?
Poppysead,

I have taken the liberty of numbering your questions, so I don't have to repeat them to answer them.

1. The answer is "no". No parent who homeschools receives a tax credit anywhere that I am aware of. The need to homeschool could easily be remedied by getting their children immunized. Hence, problem solved.

2. I don't favor religious exemptions either. I would prefer a bill that abolished both personal and religious exemptions, keeping only medical exemptions.

3. The protocol on doctor's notes for medical conditions could be best worked out with officers at either the state school board or at the district level. I'm content with this being delegated to either one.

4. The overriding intent of this law is not to punish children. Its to persuade parents who rely on the equivalent of witchcraft and superstition as a basis for not vaccinating their children to get those kids immunized. No child will be punished if the parents see the light and get them to a doctor or pharmacy for vaccination. The head lice issue is irrelevant. Head lice can be spread and are unsightly. However, head lice don't cause disease and are therefore not a real public health problem. During DW's tenure as a school nurse, she dealt with constant complaints about head lice. No child was ever suspended from school for having head lice because they don't carry disease. The health department did provide free bottles of a lice killing shampoo.

5. Allowing parents to decide how long a child should stay home with an infectious disease is not an adequate means of disease prevention. Every parent will view this differently. Many who work will send their kids to school in a condition where they can spread contagious disease. It does not suffice as a means of disease prevention. Sick children can also spread the disease at home to family members and others they come in contact with.

6. As pointed out in an earlier post, the flu season is longer than three months. This isn't a viable option because you would have to cancel summer recess to make up this lost time. The vast majority of parents want their students off during the summer months.

7. After seeing vaccine manufacturers being accused of producing vaccine to earn mega profits by so many people who oppose vaccination, I'm almost surprised to see you ask this question. The simple answer is "yes" the manufacturers can gear up to accommodate additional demand for their product. A relatively small percentage chooses not to vaccinate, I don't think producing another 10% to 15% of any vaccine will be very difficult.

8. There won't be shortages. If there were, I'd be in favor of giving those who want the vaccine, but can't get it right away, a temporary waiver.

9. A child won't have to start late, if his/her parents act right away to get them their shots. There is a relatively short time between when a vaccine is given and when it is effective.

There is no good reason not to eliminate these exemptions from the vaccine law.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:49 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,055,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
my guess is that it has to do with the boomers reaching the age when shingles become more prevalent..... there was no chicken pox vaccine available for us, so most of us actually got chicken pox......
A good hypotheses.

Someone brought up, it is educated people who have researched vaccines, and have come to the conclusion: vaccines are poison. I have noticed the education of some anti-vaccine people, along with others who give unfounded health advice, often, do not reference peer reviewed sources. Usually, their education is in fine arts or liberal arts. They are not schooled in scientific theory.

I am not saying, I am, oh, so highly educated. I am not. I have a bachelor's degree. Big deal. However, I do know to look at peer reviewed sources and to get vaccinated. The result of MY not getting vaccinated resulted in the flu with a secondary infection of pneumonia. This happened in 2008 and I have not been the same since. I will get vaccinated and ignore the anti-vaccine crowd.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:58 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
There is no good reason not to eliminate these exemptions from the vaccine law.
Sure there is and it's a simple one. People own their bodies, not the government. People should have the right to decline an injection into their bodies. Are you pro-choice by chance, Mark?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events