Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 08:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

It is important to keep in mind what the anti-vaxers themselves tell us-only about 2.5% of California children have exemptions. That means that only 2.5% of parents at most, educated or otherwise, have made such a foolish decision. It's not "all" educated parents. The anti-vaxers are a subset of (supposedly) educated parents.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:56 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Please elaborate.
This is a good start. Nutrients/supplements to lessen odds of getting shingles

Old 07-06-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
It is important to keep in mind what the anti-vaxers themselves tell us-only about 2.5% of California children have exemptions. That means that only 2.5% of parents at most, educated or otherwise, have made such a foolish decision. It's not "all" educated parents. The anti-vaxers are a subset of (supposedly) educated parents.
And you all are so scared of just 2.5% of the population that you will support bully laws that force this tiny group to do as you say. And it's not going to change a thing as far as outbreaks.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
And you all are so scared of just 2.5% of the population that you will support bully laws that force this tiny group to do as you say. And it's not going to change a thing as far as outbreaks.
Speaking of fear-mongering: "toxins", "mercury", "aluminum", "autism", "gelatin", yada, yada.

How do you know it won't change a thing as far as outbreaks? Both the measles outbreak in CA and their two pertussis epidemics have been caused partly by lack of immunization.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Speaking of fear-mongering: "toxins", "mercury", "aluminum", "autism", "gelatin", yada, yada.
No one is trying to stop you or anyone else from vaccinating. No one is going to take away your right to a public education if you do. Big difference.

Quote:
How do you know it won't change a thing as far as outbreaks? Both the measles outbreak in CA and their two pertussis epidemics have been caused partly by lack of immunization.
I seriously doubt it will. Vaccines are not 100% effective. Some wear off and many adults don't get boosters. Others don't work so well. California is also a place with a lot of tourism. I also do believe that those who can will homeschool and then you'll have clusters of unvaccinated kids in the community. Only time will tell but I really doubt that this is going to change anything in terms of outbreaks.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
No one is trying to stop you or anyone else from vaccinating. No one is going to take away your right to a public education if you do. Big difference.

I seriously doubt it will. Vaccines are not 100% effective. Some wear off and many adults don't get boosters. California is also a place with a lot of tourism. I also do believe that those who can will homeschool and then you'll have clusters of unvaccinated kids in the community. Only time will tell but I really doubt that this is going to change anything in terms of outbreaks.
I don't know how many times you have responded to a post saying "We don't know what would have happened if this person had been vaccinated", etc. Now you're saying you do know what will happen if more are vaccinated.

We know what happens in highly vaccinated populations. There are fewer VPDs. That's been documented.

The only booster recommended for adults is the Td/Tdap (one dose of the latter per lifetime).

Old 07-06-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I don't know how many times you have responded to a post saying "We don't know what would have happened if this person had been vaccinated", etc. Now you're saying you do know what will happen if more are vaccinated.
I don't understand what it is you are trying to say here.

Quote:
We know what happens in highly vaccinated populations. There are fewer VPDs. That's been documented.
We'll see if it changes anything. I don't think it will. Only time will tell.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:32 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,022,760 times
Why was this thread renamed "vaccine controversy" - this is about legislation that prevents science deniers from creating a public health risk.

The science is unequivocal. Vaccines prevent life threatening illness. Vaccines do NOT cause autism. Any risk associated with vaccines is minuscule in comparison to the illnesses they prevent.

We wouldn't have a thread "gravity controversy". The thread should be "anti-vaxxers legislated to prevent disease". The title implies there's a legitimate debate, instead of a shrinking number of conspiracy theorists.

Good work Caifornia.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:06 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:

The only booster recommended for adults is the Td/Tdap (one dose of the latter per lifetime).
My last vaccination was a DPT in the 1950's. No Tetanus every 10 years.I know my daughter (36) hasn't gotten any vaccinations since childhood. Not on the radar with her. Doesn't it make you wonder how many adults haven't gotten these boosters? If they haven't, is there Herd Immunity for those? Might be why there have been so many whooping cough outbreaks. Maybe not just the anti-vaxxer parents not vaccinating their children?

You also left a group of people out - Pregnant Women

http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/pregnan...accinated.html

Every single pregnancy. lol Isn't the Flu Shot also recommended for pregnant women? I remember my daughter refused vaccinations during her last pregnancy (no drugs at all she said), and probably will with her current one. Her OB/GYN did not drop her as his patient for this refusal.

While she did vaccinate her son (later), she never got the vax herself, nor Auntie (her sister) nor the Grandparents.

Do you see the "bigger" problem other than mandating school vaccinations?

Last edited by Jo48; 07-06-2015 at 10:29 AM..

Old 07-06-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My last vaccination was a DPT in the 1950's. No Tetanus every 10 years.I know my daughter (36) hasn't gotten any vaccinations since childhood. Not on the radar with her. Doesn't it make you wonder how many adults haven't gotten these boosters? If they haven't, is there Herd Immunity for those? Might be why there have been so many whooping cough outbreaks. Maybe not just the anti-vaxxer parents not vaccinating their children?

You also left a group of people out - Pregnant Women

Pertussis | Pregnancy and Whooping Cough | Get Vaccinated | CDC

Every single pregnancy. lol Isn't the Flu Shot also recommended for pregnant women? I remember my daughter refused vaccinations during her last pregnancy (no drugs at all she said), and probably will with her current one. Her OB/GYN did not drop her as his patient for this refusal.

While she did vaccinate her son (later), she never got the vax herself, nor Auntie (her sister) nor the Grandparents.

Do you see the "bigger" problem other than mandating school vaccinations?
Well, until some time yesterday, we were discussing the California school vaccine law.

I'm frankly tired of talking about "adult boosters". The only booster recommended for adults, as several of us have said time and time again is the Td/Tdap booster. The idea that adults have to go in to the doctor every year for some sort of "boosters" is fallacious. Any adult who was fully immunized as a child is up to date on their vaccines with that exception.

Yes, Tdap is recommended every pregnancy to give the baby some protection from the anti-vaxers, and as a bonus to protect the mother. Yes, flu shots are recommended for pregnant women, for the same reasons. But that is a special class of people. How many people are pregnant at any given time?

tlvancouver is correct; there is no controversy, except the one manufactured by the anti-vaxers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events