Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 11:09 AM

26,646 posts, read 13,577,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Or, if you believe the actual real doctors, your kid could:
  • spread infection to others (we know you don't care about this but others reading might)
  • it's possible for strep throat bacteria to spread to other tissues, causing an abscess or more-serious infection
  • although rare, untreated strep throat can lead to heart damage from rheumatic fever
  • untreated, strep throat can quickly lead to a more severe illness such as rheumatic fever (a serious heart condition) or acute nephritis (which can damage your kidneys) -- and both of these can be fatal.
You're betting your kid's health on this. I for one will put my chips behind the medical evidence that proves the benefits of antibiotics. There is NO evidence that beating one illness makes you any more likely to defeat the next.
The poster with whom you are arguing is correct and is caring for her child adequately. Just because YOU do not understand how to use food as medicine does not negate it's benefits. Food has been used as medicine for centuries long before the invention of antibiotics. Many have had great success with this "alternative" method and if it's not working, antibiotics can be used as a last resort. Regarding spreading strep to others...many of us keep our kids home when they are sick. I can't tell you how many times my kids have been exposed to other kids with active strep because their parents weren't considerate enough to keep their kids home. Antibiotics or no antibiotics.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:13 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,464,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
That's not how human immune systems work. Antibodies are very specific to a specific bacterium or other antigen.
Actually I worked as a lab tech in Microbiology both in college and later in the medical field. Strep in all it's forms (from causing meningitis to strep throat) is still a member of the genus Streptococcus and family Streptococcaceae. Antibiotic resistant strep is simply different because it is resistant to antibiotics.

Streptococcus | bacterium genus | Britannica.com

Last edited by katjonjj; 07-08-2015 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: correcting grammar

Old 07-08-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
That's not going to be very practical when the child goes off to school. (Which was the point of this thread before it got retitled).
The rant was about a baby getting exposed. Babies don't go to school.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:14 AM

10,180 posts, read 6,226,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Parents having children at older ages than ever before on average...........
I have worked with autistic children. I will admit I did not know all the children's vaccination status, except for one. However, it does seem to run in families, with sons more so than daughters. Genetic component there? The ratio of boys to girls is statistically very high.

I did also observe that most of the fathers were older men. Maybe it is something mostly carried on the Y chromosome? Age? Maybe similar situation as with older women more at risk for Downs children? Obviously, males can father children at far older ages than women can conceive.

Just speculating here.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:16 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,659,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Actually if you look at the statistics, eastern countries like Germany, China, and South Korea have much later pregnancies than the US yet Germany has one of the lowest ASD rates.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...elds/2256.html

In South Korea, autism reporting is significantly erroneous, culturally it is still looked at as some sort of family shame to have an autistic child to parents will go to great lengths to avoid reporting it or even seeking treatment.

Quote:

In urban areas of South Korea, some families of children with developmental delays will go to great lengths to avoid a diagnosis of chapae, or autism. They think of it as a genetic mark of shame on the entire family, and a major obstacle to all of their children's chances of finding suitable spouses.
The stigma is so intense that many Korean clinicians intentionally misdiagnose these children with aechak changae, or reactive detachment disorder — social withdrawal that is caused by extreme parental abuse or neglect.

Most countries have issues with reporting the incidence of autism in their overall population, even in the U.S., the highest reporting tends to come from states with the best support and infrastructure for autism.

Quote:
The first prevalence studies in any region typically find low numbers. For instance, the new study in Brazil found 27.2 cases of autism per 10,000 people, and last year's report from Oman found 1.4, compared with the oft-quoted U.S. average of 66. Similarly small numbers have come out of studies in China (16.1), Indonesia (11.7) and Israel (10).
These low rates are likely to be the result of the methods used, experts say. Most first-pass epidemiological studies are based on a review of medical records, which are often incomplete or non-existent, depending on the state of a country's healthcare system and the number of clinics with experts qualified to diagnose childhood disorders. "A records-based approach can only count the cases that you can see," Grinker says.

Quote:

This is also a problem in the U.S. Data collected by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows the highest autism prevalence in states with the best autism health and support services, such as Arizona (121 cases per 10,000 people), Missouri (121) and New Jersey (106). In contrast, areas with fewer services have lower rates, such as Alabama (60), Arkansas (69) and Florida (42).

Researchers track down autism rates across the globe

There's far more evidence to suggest that the age of the parents plays a role in autism, as well as a myriad of birth defects then there ever has been for any potential connection to vaccines.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
  • spread infection to others (we know you don't care about this but others reading might)
  • it's possible for strep throat bacteria to spread to other tissues, causing an abscess or more-serious infection
  • although rare, untreated strep throat can lead to heart damage from rheumatic fever
  • untreated, strep throat can quickly lead to a more severe illness such as rheumatic fever (a serious heart condition) or acute nephritis (which can damage your kidneys) -- and both of these can be fatal.
You're betting your kid's health on this. I for one will put my chips behind the medical evidence that proves the benefits of antibiotics. There is NO evidence that beating one illness makes you any more likely to defeat the next.
There's no bet. First, my kids stay home when they are sick. Second, treating bacterial illness with natural antibacterial foods and herbs IS treating the illness!

Lemon, honey, garlic, cayenne pepper and many more can and do treat strep more effectively (while reducing swelling and pain) than antibiotics.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
In South Korea, autism reporting is significantly erroneous, culturally it is still looked at as some sort of family shame to have an autistic child to parents will go to great lengths to avoid reporting it or even seeking treatment.

Most countries have issues with reporting the incidence of autism in their overall population, even in the U.S., the highest reporting tends to come from states with the best support and infrastructure for autism.

Researchers track down autism rates across the globe

There's far more evidence to suggest that the age of the parents plays a role in autism, as well as a myriad of birth defects then there ever has been for any potential connection to vaccines.
Actually there's far more evidence to suggest that a myriad of factors causes the brain to regress as in ASD. However, there is always a trigger which is most likely environmental.

Though I don't think it is just vaccines that can act as a trigger, this study showed it does seem causal.

"Autism spectrum disorders (ASD) are serious multisystem developmental disorders and an urgent global public health concern. Dysfunctional immunity and impaired brain function are core deficits in ASD. Aluminum (Al), the most commonly used vaccine adjuvant, is a demonstrated neurotoxin and a strong immune stimulator."

"Our results show that: (i) children from countries with the highest ASD prevalence appear to have the highest exposure to Al from vaccines; (ii) the increase in exposure to Al adjuvants significantly correlates with the increase in ASD prevalence in the United States observed over the last two decades (Pearson r=0.92, p<0.0001); and (iii) a significant correlation exists between the amounts of Al administered to preschool children and the current prevalence of ASD in seven Western countries, particularly at 3-4 months of age (Pearson r=0.89-0.94, p=0.0018-0.0248). The application of the Hill's criteria to these data indicates that the correlation between Al in vaccines and ASD may be causal. Because children represent a fraction of the population most at risk for complications following exposure to Al, a more rigorous evaluation of Al adjuvant safety seems warranted."
Do aluminum vaccine adjuvants contribute to the rising prevalence of autism? - PubMed - NCBI

They also found an imbalance in copper/zinc ratios in ASD children so there are likely many causes which is why some parents don't want to play russian roulette with vaccines, just like they want their child to have proper nutrition. I respect their choices and their right to make those choices.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:40 AM

10,180 posts, read 6,226,409 times
Years ago sick children did not go to doctors. Doctors came to them in their homes. Kids only went to doctors offices for routine physicals and vaccinations.

Not talking about "Little House" times either.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:44 AM

625 posts, read 619,764 times
Quote:
Oh, now, you're just bringing that pesky science stuff up!

I just hate that! Especially when non-factual hysteria is so much more exciting!
Attached Thumbnails
Vaccine controversy-chicken-little1.jpg  

Old 07-08-2015, 12:01 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,013,318 times
MYTH: Vaccines are like playing "Russian Roulette"

FACT: The odds of a serious adverse effect from a vaccine is less than 1 in a million. That would have to be a VERY large "gun" with 999,999 empty chambers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events