Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 12:57 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDjz5qHIzsc

Old 07-14-2015, 02:18 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
The anti-vaxers continue to kill children.

Measles Is Just The Start: Whooping Cough Outbreaks -- And Deaths -- Are Rising, Too - Forbes

Old 07-14-2015, 06:54 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post

Again, Tdap has only been around since 2005. Have you gotten this new Pertussis booster yourself in the last 10 years? If you were vaccinated for whooping cough as a child and not since, you could get whooping cough and pass it on.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Given most kids can tolerate vaccines well, perhaps the small minority of kids that have serious things going on with their immune system should be finding other methods of schooling and other ways to work around public areas if they are in that much danger of catching something serious. After all, aside from school, those kids are probably kept away from lots of other public areas by smart/concerned parents if their immune system is that fragile. A flu is just as serious to such a person and just as/more likely to happen to them yet I don't see a flu vaccine being required as part of this CA law to attend public school. Interesting.
In point of fact, most do just that until their immune systems are back up to a level where it's safe to go back in public. They return to school under the premise that school is safe for them. With the number of unvaxed up, and therefore potential disease up, that presumption is being eroded.

Requiring flu vaccine would be a great idea public health wise. However, it would likely create a firestorm. I don't know what you think it "interesting". Maybe you could elaborate.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I 100% agree with the 1st part of your bolded statement, "children who are NOT vaccinated by choice are the minority. You should not have to cater to the minority.

But I find it interesting you say this/conclude that this minority should be catered too: "A child who is at risk to develop measles, or something, even if vaccinated, because of a medical problem or illness should not have to leave school because a kid whose parent chose to not vaccinate him enters class."

Those people are in the minority too so it would be logical to conclude this minority shouldn't be catered too either.
Libertarians seem not to care about the vulnerable in society.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:23 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Do you not get that these kids are contagious, ie spreading disease, before they have the fever or are feeling sick?
Vaccinated kids can also have VPD and spread it before symptoms. There is no way to completely eliminate the risk. Not even with 100% vaccination rates.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Vaccinated kids can also have VPD and spread it before symptoms. There is no way to completely eliminate the risk. Not even with 100% vaccination rates.
The risk of a vaccinated child having a VPD that s/he is vaccinated for is FAR less than that of an unvaccinated child having the same disease.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The risk of a vaccinated child having a VPD that s/he is vaccinated for is FAR less than that of an unvaccinated child having the same disease.
Which is why vaccinated kids aren't sent home in the event of an outbreak but there still are vaccinated kids who can and will spread VPD and some of them will do so prior to symptoms. It's just not realistic that schools will ever be 100% risk free when it comes to VPD. The elimination of all exemptions other then medical (which are difficult to get) is not going to eliminate risk. It is an over reaction on the part of the state. The benefit of eliminating exemptions does not outweigh the risk of giving up our right as parents to decide. We'll never agree. Clearly.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:01 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,022,760 times
Kayanne, I can see how earnest you are, and would ask that you take a look at the last 15 or so posts.

How would you handle these two most recent statements by the anti-vax crowd:

There's too many vaccines for kids/why bother vaccinating since we don't vaccinate for every single thing...
Why should my unvaccinated kid not be able to choose to come to school - keep your child with cancer (even as she/he is recovering) home

As you've acknowledged, missterri Steve and Jo would vaccinate if measles came back. If they'd rather die than vaccinate (which is what 2/3 said) then what would "convince them to change their mind". They just hide in the herd and ironically until the whacky anti-vax logic gained some traction that worked.

As with the measles outbreak, the only thing more effective than legislation is a good old pandemic.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Kayanne, I can see how earnest you are, and would ask that you take a look at the last 15 or so posts.

How would you handle these two most recent statements by the anti-vax crowd:

There's too many vaccines for kids/why bother vaccinating since we don't vaccinate for every single thing...
Why should my unvaccinated kid not be able to choose to come to school - keep your child with cancer (even as she/he is recovering) home

As you've acknowledged, missterri Steve and Jo would vaccinate if measles came back. If they'd rather die than vaccinate (which is what 2/3 said) then what would "convince them to change their mind". They just hide in the herd and ironically until the whacky anti-vax logic gained some traction that worked.

As with the measles outbreak, the only thing more effective than legislation is a good old pandemic.
I have no idea as to what you are referring to when you bring my name up here. Please don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events