Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 09:03 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Vaccinated kids can catch VPDs. However, when they do, they tend to have milder disease and are less likely to spread it. I previously posted a report on two vaccinated physicians who got measles. Neither recognized it and both continued to work. Neither gave it to anyone else, vaccinated or unvaccinated, and both exposed a lot of people. During the Disney outbreak, some vaccinated people had the measles rash last only an hour. In essence, the vaccine may not completely prevent a person from developing symptoms, but it does suppress replication of the organism and reduce shedding.
If this is true universally then all of those vaccinated kids have nothing to worry about. It's not universally true though as there is nothing 100% about vaccines and some will get the illness, full strength and some will still spread the disease despite how strong or mild their symptoms may be.

Quote:
Vaccination mandates are not intended to prevent VPDs one hundred percent. What they do is reduce the size of outbreaks and prevent epidemics.
The size of outbreaks is already very tiny. The legislation was an over-reaction on the state's part.

Quote:
Legitimate medical exemptions are not hard to get. Getting one just because you do not want to vaccinate should be impossible.
Yes they are hard to get. It's not easy to prove an injury from a vaccination.

Quote:
I do not think it has been mentioned before, but some parents who have not vaccinated their children have just not made the effort to do so. Mandates will get them to do it. For those who have not fully vaccinated due to problems with access to health care, mechanisms need to be in place to help them. Any child can be vaccinated these days at little or no cost, though some low income parents may not be aware of that.
The mandates are overkill. If lack of access was the problem, the solution would be to make access much easier.

Quote:
Your right to decide does not trump the rights of others to minimize the risk of VPDs. You still have the choice not to vaccinate. No one will take your child from you and vaccinate him against your will.
I think it does though. I believe that the right to have control over what is put into my body and the bodies of my children trumps any perceived "right" of others to have a tiny decrease in risk for a small subset of illness. There is no choice for those who can't afford to homeschool. Something that you don't seem to understand.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
In thinking about this, I came up with two things that are "common ground".

1. Everyone wants what's best for their kids
2. No one likes to see their kids get poked with a needle.

That's it!

Anti-vaxers really jump on #2, and post all sorts of nasty photoshopped pictures of tiny babies with 50 or so needles stuck in their bodies, kids crying from vaccination, etc. I posted some examples earlier in this thread. That's much of what's behind "too many, too soon", and many other of the anti-vax memes. They also play up the "Nurse Ratched" idea, that nurses and other vaccine providers somehow get their jollies poking babies and infants.

I would love it if there were a painless (or more pain-free) way to vaccinate. Some progress is being made in that regard.
I agree with the first point. Regarding the second, the prick from the needle is the least of my concerns, in fact it's not a concern at all.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:09 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,022,760 times

Old 07-14-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Honest question, is there a current and effective protocol to treat these diseases and minimize complications if someone does get measles, chickenpox, mumps, whooping cough?? Because I don't understand all the comments that use the word "terrified."

Certainly I would have to believe that medical care would have advanced since we had these childhood diseases so that they wouldn't be seen as scarier to deal with than decades ago.

Not talking about polio or smallpox.
Yes, there are things that people can do to reduce the risk of complications. Many of them fall into the alternative health realm and are related to nutrition, vitamin, herbs, etc. The people pushing the vaccines though don't care about that and will call it quackery even when some of it has been proven effective with studies. I'm sure I'll be attacked for this post (not by you, Kara) but it is true that those who contract a VPD such as measles or chicken pox are not helpless victims with no way to reduce their risk of complications.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Yes, there are things that people can do to reduce the risk of complications. Many of them fall into the alternative health realm and are related to nutrition, vitamin, herbs, etc. The people pushing the vaccines though don't care about that and will call it quackery even when some of it has been proven effective with studies. I'm sure I'll be attacked for this post (not by you, Kara) but it is true that those who contract a VPD such as measles or chicken pox are not helpless victims with no way to reduce their risk of complications.
Okay, so specifically what nutrition, vitamins and herbs deal with polio, measles, mumps and whooping cough? (I'm away from my computer so I know I forgot some).

Just list the disease the CA vaccinations prevent and links that show what you've said is true.

If it works, surely you'll be willing to provide evidence.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:23 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Okay, so specifically what nutrition, vitamins and herbs deal with polio, measles, mumps and whooping cough? (I'm away from my computer so I know I forgot some).

Just list the disease the CA vaccinations prevent and links that show what you've said is true.

Any herbs or specific foods would fall under the realm of supportive care anyway, meaning there is no treatment just management of symptoms. Nothing new was said.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:

I'm not going to waste too much time here sharing info on ways to deal with chicken pox, shingles, measles or pertussis just to get attacked. Was it you or someone else who admitted that they asked questions to "trap" people? Was it me who got harassed for simply saying, "I don't know". You might understand why I'm reluctant to answer questions here that aren't genuine. If people are truly interested the info is not difficult to find. Vitamin A and measles is well studied, Vitamin C and pertussis. L-Lysine and chicken pox and shingles. Antivirals herbs, etc. Do your research tlvancouver.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Any herbs or specific foods would fall under the realm of supportive care anyway, meaning there is no treatment just management of symptoms. Nothing new was said.
I know, I'm being open minded so that MissTerri can show the forum how vaccines aren't needed and a good healthy diet prevents epidemics

If there is evidence MissTerri, show it - otherwise please stop misleading the thread.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Sorry not going to open the links. Are these just more mean memes or are you actually contributing to the discussion with relevant information?

Old 07-14-2015, 09:27 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
My responses are in purple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
If this is true universally then all of those vaccinated kids have nothing to worry about. It's not universally true though as there is nothing 100% about vaccines and some will get the illness, full strength and some will still spread the disease despite how strong or mild their symptoms may be.

Miss Terri, you're right that vaccines are not 100% effective, but could you help me understand why you think (or seem to be saying) that you are opposed to them because they are less than perfect? My husband just had surgery last week for cancer. Did the surgeon tell us he could 100% guarantee eradication of the cancer? No, it was about 70%. But that seemed like much better odds than certain death.

The size of outbreaks is already very tiny. The legislation was an over-reaction on the state's part.

I believe the point is intervention BEFORE the outbreaks are large. I'm thinking of the graphic that Katarina shared last night that showed how quickly measles would spread in an area with 80% vac rate. So, if you are saying the legislation is an over-reaction because the outbreaks have been tiny, does that mean you might possibly support such legislation if they'd waited until the outbreaks were huge?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events