Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 05:23 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,464,047 times

Advertisements

Medical exemptions are based on contraindications not precautions. AND the CDC lists 1 contraindication for all vaccines: Severe allergic reaction (e.g., anaphylaxis) after a previous dose or to a vaccine component.

There are only precautions for some immune issues with few exceptions. Precautions are not a good enough reason for a medical exemption but only a delay. Even GBS after vaccination is not a reason for exemption.

Family history, allergies, immunodeficiency... not a reason to get an exemption.
General Recommendations on Immunization

So unless you get the vaccine and have a SEVERE allergic reaction, you can only get an exemption for that vaccine...

For precautions you can delay the vaccine but with the mandate your child can not go to school.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:56 PM

7 posts, read 4,825 times
Food allergies are rarely a contraindication to vaccines. Food Allergies Are Rarely a Concern When Considering Vaccines for Adolescents. "Studies have shown that food allergies are rarely contraindications to vaccine administration."

Plus much more.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:11 PM

1,316 posts, read 738,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Medical exemptions are based on contraindications not precautions. AND the CDC lists 1 contraindication for all vaccines: Severe allergic reaction (e.g., anaphylaxis) after a previous dose or to a vaccine component.

There are only precautions for some immune issues with few exceptions. Precautions are not a good enough reason for a medical exemption but only a delay. Even GBS after vaccination is not a reason for exemption.

Family history, allergies, immunodeficiency... not a reason to get an exemption.
General Recommendations on Immunization

So unless you get the vaccine and have a SEVERE allergic reaction, you can only get an exemption for that vaccine...

For precautions you can delay the vaccine but with the mandate your child can not go to school.
Yes. You know why it's like this? Because it makes sense. Because there isn't actual evidence that supports any other course of action. It's an intelligent, sound approach.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Yes. You know why it's like this? Because it makes sense. Because there isn't actual evidence that supports any other course of action. It's an intelligent, sound approach.
So mandating vaccines that are known to cause severe reactions such as not being able to breathe is okay because you can't say no unless you can't breathe.

Sounds like an intelligent, sound approach to me.

If a parent, who knows their child, feels the child could be allergic to any of the components of the vaccine... they should be able to choose whether to risk it and at what schedule they should risk it. Doctors are paid by parents. Doctors don't dictate what a patient should do or take for their health. Doctors advise.

Do you think doctors would give out more exemptions or at least be more cautious if they were held liable for any injury that resulted?

For example, the HPV vax insert states that fainting after the shot is common so you are supposed to watch them for 15 minutes. Can you sue the doctor because he didn't observe or if he did and the child hit their head upon fainting?

Furthermore, since when is fainting after a shot normal? I can see fainting because you don't like needles but the insert is pretty clear that it's normal to have fainting and seizures... seizures aren't caused by needle fear! What is going on in the body when a vaccine causes seizures within 15 minutes?

However, that is not an adverse event... nope that's just NORMAL. If not for vaccines, I don't think any doctor would think fainting and seizures after a procedure is normal. Do you?

Last edited by katjonjj; 08-27-2015 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-27-2015, 06:57 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,334,257 times
Quote:
So mandating vaccines that are known to cause severe reactions such as not being able to breath is okay because you can't say no unless you can't breath.

If a parent, who knows their child,feels the child could be allergic to any of the components of the vaccine... they should be able to choose whether to risk it and at what schedule they should risk it. Doctors are paid by parents. Doctors don't dictate what a patient should do or take for their health. Doctors advise.

Do you think doctors would give out more exemptions or at least be more cautious if they were held liable for any injury that resulted?

For example, the HPV vax insert states that fainting after the shot is common so you are supposed to watch them for 15 minutes. Can you sue the doctor because he didn't observe or if he did and the child hit their head upon fainting?

Furthermore, since when is fainting after a shot normal? I can see fainting because you don't like needles but the insert is pretty clear that it's normal to have fainting and seizures... seizures aren't caused by needle fear! What is going on in the body when a vaccine causes seizures within 15 minutes?

However, that is not an adverse event... nope that's just NORMAL. If not for vaccines, I don't think any doctor would think fainting and seizures after a procedure is normal. Do you?
Could then a parent who "feels the child could be".....mmmm...say... better off not being schooled at all, get some kind of exemption from educating their child?

Or "feels the child could be" better off not restrained in a moving vehicle?

Old 08-27-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Could then a parent who "feels the child could be".....mmmm...say... better off not being schooled at all, get some kind of exemption from educating their child?
When I was school age, I ate 5 oranges in one sitting and broke out in hives. Same thing happened when I ate seafood. My parents could have suspected that this allergy could extend to other substances. Like Jo said earlier, her daughter had a known allergy to milk but after vaccination, she had an allergy to red meat.

As to your comment, parents DO have a choice about how their child is educated and at what pace. The school does not dictate whether or not a child can attend certain classes or even the next grade. That is up to the parent. Parent's can also request special help and classes for their children.

Those children whose parents decide they don't want them in classes fill out... guess what... an exemption form.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
When I was school age, I ate 5 oranges in one sitting and broke out in hives. Same thing happened when I ate seafood. My parents could have suspected that this allergy could extend to other substances. Like Jo said earlier, her daughter had a known allergy to milk but after vaccination, she had an allergy to red meat.

As to your comment, parents DO have a choice about how their child is educated and at what pace. The school does not dictate whether or not a child can attend certain classes or even the next grade. That is up to the parent. Parent's can also request special help and classes for their children.

Those children whose parents decide they don't want them in classes fill out... guess what... an exemption form.
Parents cannot exempt out of education altogether. Parents cannot exempt out of seat belt and carseat requirements.

Parents can choose to avoid vaccinating.

You are asking for a medical exemptions based on nothing more than what you "feel". That's a philosophical exemption not a medical one. Actual medical exemptions are based on....actual medical reasons. Not feelings about what might happen.

Last edited by maciesmom; 08-27-2015 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Sp

Old 08-27-2015, 07:10 PM

4,281 posts, read 6,059,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Parents cannot exempt out of education altogether. Patents cannot exempt out of sear belt and carseat requirements.

Parents can choose to avoid vaccinating.
I say that they can now. If the government is going to ban the kids from school, than the government doesn't get any say in how said children are educated. If the parents don't want to teach the kids how to read, and the government thinks it's necessary, than the government shouldn't be banning them from school. (I think education is important, by the way.)

Old 08-27-2015, 07:11 PM

1,316 posts, read 738,819 times
Quote:
So mandating vaccines that are known to cause severe reactions such as not being able to breath is okay because you can't say no unless you can't breath.

If a parent, who knows their child, feels the child could be allergic to any of the components of the vaccine... they should be able to choose whether to risk it and at what schedule they should risk it. Doctors are paid by parents. Doctors don't dictate what a patient should do or take for their health. Doctors advise.

I HAD one of those reactions! And it was to one single vaccine. I got ALL the rest with no problem whatsoever, and that is typical. Plus, I've now gotten an updated version of that vaccine with no problem. And MY reaction had no bearing on my children--they have had no allergies to vaccines. But, I stay in the doctor's office for a few minutes after, just to satisfy my mom paranoia.

The fainting info in the insert on the HPV vaccine is there because people have reported fainting. And this is something that happens. When a younger child gets shots, they often get scared & panic, possibly crying and carrying on. Older kids get rigid and try not to react. Fainting may happen. I had a friend that worked at a store that did ear piercing. She said little kids were way easier than tweens and teens, that she never had a 6 yo faint, but half of the 13 yo did. It's a thing. Really. Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean that it isn't true.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I say that they can now. If the government is going to ban the kids from school, than the government doesn't get any say in how said children are educated. If the parents don't want to teach the kids how to read, and the government thinks it's necessary, than the government shouldn't be banning them from school. (I think education is important, by the way.)
I understand your opinion, but the reality is parents are still obliged to provide an education for their children. Homeschooling is an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events