Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 06:01 AM

10,225 posts, read 6,312,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
And of course, if your daughter really were found to be medically allergic, then she would be granted a waiver. People who are allergic to eggs are granted waivers to get vaccinated. BUT - and here we go again - no one is just going to take your word for it. They want proof that your kid is really allergic and that it's not something Mom is making up because she doesn't want her kid to get vaccinated.

And you can demand at the doctor's office all you want. Doctors have a lot of practice with demanding parents, especially when it comes to antibiotics. I doubt, unless the doctor is convinced your child has an allergy, he's just going to hand over something to get a waiver for your child no matter how much you demand.

But speaking of allergies, if I decided to eat peanuts in the middle of a bunch of kids sitting around me, knowing some of them could be allergic, would you call me selfish for that, especially if I insisted on my constitutional right to eat peanuts in public? Would you say I'm endangering them? If so, what is the difference between me exposing those kids to a possible life threatening allergy and you exposing us to your unvaccinated kids who may be sick with something that could also be life threatening?
I worked in a Florida Public School. Peanut allergies? No, they did not demand that NO CHILD bring peanut butter into school if some other kids were allergic, and there WERE kids with peanut allergy.

They accommodated ALL kids. The cafeteria had a peanut free table just for those kids with an allergy. By your "herd mentality" you would ban peanut butter TOTALLY? How about milk, gluten, chocolate, etc.?

Old 08-31-2015, 06:28 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I worked in a Florida Public School. Peanut allergies? No, they did not demand that NO CHILD bring peanut butter into school if some other kids were allergic, and there WERE kids with peanut allergy.

They accommodated ALL kids. The cafeteria had a peanut free table just for those kids with an allergy. By your "herd mentality" you would ban peanut butter TOTALLY? How about milk, gluten, chocolate, etc.?
There are MANY schools that ban peanuts entirely. You simply must stop thinking your limited experience is the only one there is. There is so much more to the world than what you're sure you know.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:07 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
The same as you sending your kid to school while he can still spread the flu, which happens every school year. FYI, more kids die from the flu. Your kids are way more likely to get shot at school than get the Measles, Mumps or Rubela pre mandate. The cry that the small amount of unvaccinated kids will one day kill yours is ludicrous. Why not just ban drivers licenses until kids are 20. That would save a lot more. It's not about saving kids lives, it's about earning money, maxing profit, and keeping the bottom line fed. Read some financials. For profit mandates, harm children too. Propaganda bs. Nuts how many people buy it after all those documentaries on America's for profit healthcare system that is our 3rd largest killer. Reality check plz.
So true, parents send their kids to school while still contagious with flu and stomach bugs which there are no vaccines for. It is ludicrous to think that a small number of unvaccinated kids are such a huge threat. I also agree about for profit mandates. This is not about safety, its about money. Too many people are buying the propaganda.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:10 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

Nut Job: Roasting peanuts might cause stronger allergic reactions
Gary C. Knapp/AP Photo
The number of school-age kids with peanut allergies has doubled in the past decade. Yet scientists can't quite put their finger on what makes the legume such a threat or why the allergy has become so prevalent.
Theories abound, though, and most involve an overactive immune system. "We have done such a good job of eliminating the threats that the immune system is supposed to manage, that it's looking for something to do," says Anne Muñoz-Furlong, CEO of the nonprofit Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network
Why Are So Many Kids Allergic to Peanuts? | Popular Science

The theory is we've tried to protect our kids so much from germs and disease that we are weakening their immune system. A not so funny coincidence isn't it.

Of course, the over reactive parental sect that is banning and mandating everything we do is also banning peanuts.

Alternative to food bans
Parents opposed to the bans have an unlikely ally — an advocacy group for people with food allergies. The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network in Fairfax, Va., recommends schools treat each student's allergy individually and adopt plans that emphasize continued vigilance rather than food bans.
“What we want is everyone always thinking there could be a possibility (of an allergic reaction) and be on guard for it,” said the group's founder, Anne Munoz-Furlong.
Regardless of the group’s position, a growing number of schools have implemented bans. A recent survey of 1,174 districts by the Virginia-based School Nutrition Association found that 18 percent of schools had peanut bans in 2007, a 50 percent increase from two years earlier.
Schools

We ban peanuts regardless of advice against it. It's the hysteric generation slathered in hand sanitizers. It would be nice if we were in control of all dangers but we aren't. People need to realize that their over reacting just leads to other new problems. Maybe the next generation will discover we need to exercise our immune system and not baby it.
It creates super allergies, super bacteria and super disease. It doesn't eliminate any threat.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:17 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
So true, parents send their kids to school while still contagious with flu and stomach bugs which there are no vaccines for. It is ludicrous to think that a small number of unvaccinated kids are such a huge threat. I also agree about for profit mandates. This is not about safety, its about money. Too many people are buying the propaganda.
Yep, it seems our biggest threat is job loss. A lot of people are employed at pharma companies, and a lot of the 1% make their money doling out meds. The promotion of all those pain meds has now led to addicted housewives who are a mess. It's a vicious cycle. So many of us die from drug side effects and from drug interactions now. The price we pay for listening to doctors who help promote drugs for some cash. We are definitely an over medicated society. But, jobs, jobs, jobs matter.

There is a pill, vaccine or treatment for everything under the sun! Some people are finally noticing that we can't do this to ourselves though and a movement of people learning to take care of themselves and use natural alternatives is growing because of it. Hopefully we will find a balance one day. Eat right, exercise, and above all don't think a pill solves all your problems.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:31 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,055,533 times
Quote:
Yep, it seems our biggest threat is job loss. A lot of people are employed at pharma companies, and a lot of the 1% make their money doling out meds. The promotion of all those pain meds has now led to addicted housewives who are a mess. It's a vicious cycle. So many of us die from drug side effects and from drug interactions now. The price we pay for listening to doctors who help promote drugs for some cash. We are definitely an over medicated society. But, jobs, jobs, jobs matter.

There is a pill, vaccine or treatment for everything under the sun! Some people are finally noticing that we can't do this to ourselves though and a movement of people learning to take care of themselves and use natural alternatives is growing because of it. Hopefully we will find a balance one day. Eat right, exercise, and above all don't think a pill solves all your problems.
Those "evil" drugs for jobs make it possible for people like myself to function, productively, in society. I have tried alternative medications etc. and guess what? Sometimes a person NEEDS a pharmaceutical drug. I DO agree pharmaceutical companies certainly are unethical and need tighter regulations, but we cannot write off the whole industry.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
There are MANY schools that ban peanuts entirely. You simply must stop thinking your limited experience is the only one there is. There is so much more to the world than what you're sure you know.
Different states have different policies, period. You want one size fits all.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:36 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Those "evil" drugs for jobs make it possible for people like myself to function, productively, in society. I have tried alternative medications etc. and guess what? Sometimes a person NEEDS a pharmaceutical drug. I DO agree pharmaceutical companies certainly are unethical and need tighter regulations, but we cannot write off the whole industry.

Sometimes being the key word here. The need to take a drug is sometimes necessary. The decision to take a drug or a vaccine is a decision that can be taken on a case by case basis. People have different needs and not everyone needs to be vaccinated for every little thing. Each individual should be allowed to take their individual circumstances into account.

I agree that the pharmaceutical companies coupled with the chosen academic research industry is unethical and needs tighter regulations. As of now there is way too much corruption.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:

Nut Job: Roasting peanuts might cause stronger allergic reactions
Gary C. Knapp/AP Photo
The number of school-age kids with peanut allergies has doubled in the past decade. Yet scientists can't quite put their finger on what makes the legume such a threat or why the allergy has become so prevalent.
Theories abound, though, and most involve an overactive immune system. "We have done such a good job of eliminating the threats that the immune system is supposed to manage, that it's looking for something to do," says Anne Muñoz-Furlong, CEO of the nonprofit Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network
Why Are So Many Kids Allergic to Peanuts? | Popular Science

The theory is we've tried to protect our kids so much from germs and disease that we are weakening their immune system. A not so funny coincidence isn't it.

Of course, the over reactive parental sect that is banning and mandating everything we do is also banning peanuts.

Alternative to food bans
Parents opposed to the bans have an unlikely ally — an advocacy group for people with food allergies. The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network in Fairfax, Va., recommends schools treat each student's allergy individually and adopt plans that emphasize continued vigilance rather than food bans.
“What we want is everyone always thinking there could be a possibility (of an allergic reaction) and be on guard for it,” said the group's founder, Anne Munoz-Furlong.
Regardless of the group’s position, a growing number of schools have implemented bans. A recent survey of 1,174 districts by the Virginia-based School Nutrition Association found that 18 percent of schools had peanut bans in 2007, a 50 percent increase from two years earlier.
Schools

We ban peanuts regardless of advice against it. It's the hysteric generation slathered in hand sanitizers. It would be nice if we were in control of all dangers but we aren't. People need to realize that their over reacting just leads to other new problems. Maybe the next generation will discover we need to exercise our immune system and not baby it.
It creates super allergies, super bacteria and super disease. It doesn't eliminate any threat.
Yes, exposure, exposure, exposure. Not only to diseases, but also for food allergies. My daughter's OB told her to eat peanuts once a week for her entire pregnancy. I suppose he felt that if a fetus was exposed to his mother's eating peanuts in the womb, it would prevent an allergy in him after he was born? Exposure?

Why not?

Old 08-31-2015, 08:53 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
YOU are buying into propaganda. First of all, nobody believes that a fully vaccinated child will never get sick with anything else. It happens. But there are very preventable diseases that we can stop the spread of. And if we don't have to be distracted by whooping cough or measles in the classroom, it's a heck of a lot easier to deal with trying to stem the spread of a stomach bug. And when my kid is down with a stomach bug she caught at school, while her immune system is a little busy & overwhelmed, is NOT the time for her to be confronted with these preventable illnesses.

The huge threat is that the number of unvaccinated kids in some areas is growing. There are more and larger pockets with very low vaccination rates, and that is allowing the illnesses to spread. It's been said hundreds of times.

It is about safety. You can crow about it being about money all you want. The 1% is NOT getting rich off of measles vaccines. It just isn't true. I certainly make no profit whatsoever. What is my agenda? Oh, yeah, being a sheep, right? I'll tell you one thing, I am no sheep, and I'm a heck of a lot smarter than anyone who buys into this "we gotta get sick with the flu & measles & chickenpox & whooping cough in order to keep our immune systems strong" idiocy.

I do think there's been an over-cleansing of our environments. But that's because I read a report on a study YEARS ago about the detrimental effect anti-biotic everything was having on children's immune systems. But that study had nothing to do with vaccinations. Just the robust nature of the human immune system. It had more to do with demanding an antibiotic every time a child had the sniffles. Dust bunnies are a sign of love, in my book, and I care enough to let my kids get dirty. They are very, very healthy. But I also believe in preventing horrible illnesses that HAVE had serious, even deadly, consequences for generations of children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events