U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 10:10 AM

13,341 posts, read 10,972,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
It is very hard to believe that pot caused someone to jump through a window. What else was the kid high on?
I am an advocate for legalizing pot. That said...when it is eaten , instead of smoked, the effects are far different,. Much more intense and unpredictable. In this manner of use, care must be utilized. "Science" has never broken this phenomenon down, to my knowledge. I've seen it written about, but never , officially adressed.

It IS something that needs a dressed. This is the only way a THC overdose can be achieved. And it will. It can be quite dangerous when eaten. That, is a fact. Not a theory or spitball. When taken in edible products, THC is a totally different animal from the ubiquitous bong or doobie. I don't know why. I could post a theory but, it would be a waste of time, here. So, it is just a fact, regardless of reason, that edibles are a different game.

They are like comparing 5% Coors to Moonshine, against smoking weed. My support of legalization aside, this is a factor to consider when looking at regulation. With all they say is known about weed, the most important factors are never considered in pro/con arguments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 01:10 PM

1,464 posts, read 953,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I am an advocate for legalizing pot. That said...when it is eaten , instead of smoked, the effects are far different,. Much more intense and unpredictable. In this manner of use, care must be utilized. "Science" has never broken this phenomenon down, to my knowledge. I've seen it written about, but never , officially adressed.

It IS something that needs a dressed. This is the only way a THC overdose can be achieved. And it will. It can be quite dangerous when eaten. That, is a fact. Not a theory or spitball. When taken in edible products, THC is a totally different animal from the ubiquitous bong or doobie. I don't know why. I could post a theory but, it would be a waste of time, here. So, it is just a fact, regardless of reason, that edibles are a different game.

They are like comparing 5% Coors to Moonshine, against smoking weed. My support of legalization aside, this is a factor to consider when looking at regulation. With all they say is known about weed, the most important factors are never considered in pro/con arguments.
Just some perspective...

The difference between smoking/vaporizing, and consuming edibles essentially boils down to the following:
  • The differences in the way the body metabolizes the THC (based upon the manner in which it is consumed) coupled with
    • The ease of accurately gauging the potency of an individual dose (titration).
As the effects of smoking/vaporizing marijuana are apparent within a handful of minutes (versus having to wait 5-12 times longer via ingestion), it's much easier for a smoker to know when they've achieved a sufficient "buzz" and take a break. So the smoking/vaporizing method is basically like taking small doses incrementally until one achieves the desired extent of intoxication, whereas ingesting (without knowing the exact potency of the serving) may ultimately lead to a surprise (good or bad) of sorts. The additional issue with ingestion is that the body metabolizes the THC differently and its effect will typically last longer as a result.

It should be noted that eating isn't necessarily "worse" or "stronger," but rather the unknown size of the dosage that makes it appear (or not) that way. Whether you smoke or ingest 50mg of THC, it probably won't change the extent of the high for the most part, though the time until the onset of effects is apparent and the subsequent duration of the high will likely be different.

Setting makes a difference as well. Most people typically don't go around smoking marijuana in public (for obvious reasons), but they may feel comfortable consuming edibles and drinks in public as the behavior is less obvious to those around them. The problem with that should be obvious as well: If you're relaxing at home when you're high the amount of anxiety you'll experience will be little-to-none, whereas if you consume a brownie that was much more potent than labelled and then take a stroll through the local mall before it kicks in, you're going to be more inclined to feel stressed upon realizing that you're intoxicated among a large crowd of strangers.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:26 PM

13,341 posts, read 10,972,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Just some perspective...

The difference between smoking/vaporizing, and consuming edibles essentially boils down to the following:
  • The differences in the way the body metabolizes the THC (based upon the manner in which it is consumed) coupled with
    • The ease of accurately gauging the potency of an individual dose (titration).
As the effects of smoking/vaporizing marijuana are apparent within a handful of minutes (versus having to wait 5-12 times longer via ingestion), it's much easier for a smoker to know when they've achieved a sufficient "buzz" and take a break. So the smoking/vaporizing method is basically like taking small doses incrementally until one achieves the desired extent of intoxication, whereas ingesting (without knowing the exact potency of the serving) may ultimately lead to a surprise (good or bad) of sorts. The additional issue with ingestion is that the body metabolizes the THC differently and its effect will typically last longer as a result.

It should be noted that eating isn't necessarily "worse" or "stronger," but rather the unknown size of the dosage that makes it appear (or not) that way. Whether you smoke or ingest 50mg of THC, it probably won't change the extent of the high for the most part, though the time until the onset of effects is apparent and the subsequent duration of the high will likely be different.

Setting makes a difference as well. Most people typically don't go around smoking marijuana in public (for obvious reasons), but they may feel comfortable consuming edibles and drinks in public as the behavior is less obvious to those around them. The problem with that should be obvious as well: If you're relaxing at home when you're high the amount of anxiety you'll experience will be little-to-none, whereas if you consume a brownie that was much more potent than labelled and then take a stroll through the local mall before it kicks in, you're going to be more inclined to feel stressed upon realizing that you're intoxicated among a large crowd of strangers.

Thanks for the perspective. When I wrote that post earlier I had a lot of this stuff rolling around in my head, but you organized it all, perfectly. My compliments and thanks. Yes, the "potency" doesn't change between various methods, and time to peak effect is a huge factor. Edibles are not the same animal. So, given what you have written here, a better analogy for comparison would be IV narcotics, as opposed to PO. Rather than alcoholic beverages alc per volume potency.

With edibles, some are actually pretty tasty. Some would consume far to much, based on that alone. The yummyness factor, lulling one into complacency as to what happens down the pipe a bit.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:46 PM

19,943 posts, read 8,344,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Where are all the pot proponents?
Still sleeping ?
Here.

This is the most absurd and ridiculous reason ever for claiming pot is too dangerous to be legal. Alcohol causes a lot more death and damage to teens and adults. There is so much evidence of alcohol being more dangerous than pot that it isn't even worth discussing.

"According to the study, at the individual level, booze presents the highest risk of death, followed by nicotine, cocaine and heroin, suggesting the risks of alcohol consumption have likely been underestimated in the past."

New Study Finds Marijuana Safer Than Alcohol Or Tobacco | IFLScience

Magnitude of alcohol-related mortality and morbidity among U.S. college students ages 18-24: Changes from 1998 to 2001.

There's A Plague Killing Our Kids: Alcohol Deaths 2004 - I Speak of Dreams

Old 04-25-2015, 03:23 PM

7,328 posts, read 3,778,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
It is very hard to believe that pot caused someone to jump through a window. What else was the kid high on?
Only if he saw more brownies flying outside of the window.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:50 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,291,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Here.

This is the most absurd and ridiculous reason ever for claiming pot is too dangerous to be legal. Alcohol causes a lot more death and damage to teens and adults. There is so much evidence of alcohol being more dangerous than pot that it isn't even worth discussing.

"According to the study, at the individual level, booze presents the highest risk of death, followed by nicotine, cocaine and heroin, suggesting the risks of alcohol consumption have likely been underestimated in the past."

Magnitude of alcohol-related mortality and morbidity among U.S. college students ages 18-24: Changes from 1998 to 2001.

Well.. thanks for posting everything that has nothing to do with this case...

BUT

what do you think about this case since you avoided it altogether... (and if you want to address the other factual deaths and hospitalizations in Colorado that might come up in this case)

Old 04-25-2015, 05:01 PM

8,893 posts, read 7,404,013 times
Seems she got in more trouble for lying and witness tampering than for giving her 19 year old son pot brownie. He "claims" he only ate one as directed.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:44 PM

5,244 posts, read 3,039,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Here.

Claiming something is more risky than marijuana doesn't make marijuana less risky, It's a poor argument. Heroin is less risky physically than alcohol also.

Comparing either doesn't make a case for risk-free use of marijuana.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:50 PM

7,169 posts, read 6,003,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Where are all the pot proponents?
Still sleeping ?

Blaming the marijuana for the kid jumping out the window is like blaming the 'gun' when a kid goes into a movie theater and guns down people watching a movie. I don't see most of the anti-pot people here making the same argument when a gun story comes up calling for them to be banned. Have some consistency in your arguments.

The kid is the problem. The legal age for pot is 21. Kid was underage, parent was irresponsible. The kid was unstable to begin with. Conservatives always talk about personal responsibility but it seems like they only talk about it when it's something they agree with... for some reason they are against marijuana so it doesn't matter, this personal responsibility thing.. people need to be protected from themselves because they cannot handle marijuana.. nanny state style... yet not guns... why exactly? Throw em in jail and waste a bunch of time and resources prosecuting them.

Pot is no more dangerous than alcohol. Legalize it, tax it, get it over with so we can have another way to cut loose after a hard week at work or on a Saturday night after a hard day at the shooting range blowing off a couple hundred rounds of 5.56. Freedom is good. Personal responsibility is good.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:58 PM

5,572 posts, read 2,292,518 times
Trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or