U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 03:13 PM

38,353 posts, read 15,373,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Meh, I disagree. People are still extremely misinformed when it comes to transgendered people. I think it is indeed news. News doesn't have to just consist of politics and disaster coverage. It's interesting to get a perspective directly from the source, and from an American superstar athlete, no less.
Meh. I disagree. The only reason the media is reporting it is due to Jenner's "celebrity" not because of the subject warrants national discussion. i.e. It's tabloidism.

Some people consider tabloidism & celebrity gushing, news. I don't.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 03:19 PM

9,056 posts, read 6,732,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Meh. I disagree. The only reason the media is reporting it is due to Jenner's "celebrity" not because of the subject warrants national discussion. i.e. It's tabloidism.

Some people consider tabloidism & celebrity gushing, news. I don't.
Good for you, then don't watch it.

I have a transitioning niece so I'm happy to see it. Celebrity may have led to it being covered, but it's coverage from the source nonetheless. Which, given the violence and hatred transgendered encounter, also warrants national discussion. If you don't want to discuss it, don't. But I'm glad other people are. It's actually given some insight, according to some posters here. Tabloidism or not.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:29 PM

17,604 posts, read 21,797,274 times
I have no idea why this is news at all. It's his personal business. And he isn't all that famous.

Who cares what Jenner and the Kardashians do.

I sure as hell do not.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I have a transitioning niece....
Nobody cares..... It's not national news.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have no idea why this is news at all. It's his personal business. And he isn't all that famous.

I sure as hell do not.
17 million people watched, so a few people cared. I wouldn't doubt a bunch of them watched to make fun. A lot out of curiosity. Hopefully, some people came away with a better understanding of what it means for people who go through this, whether they intended to or not.

I don't particularly care about the Kardashians either, but I'm hoping some good comes out of it regardless of the messenger.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nobody cares..... It's not national news.
Not my niece, no. Boy jumped on that one didn't ya. Had to single it out and everything. Methinks you do indeed care whether people have the opposite set installed.

I'm happy to see people talking about it. And it IS national news, so it looks like nobody cares that you think it's not.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:15 PM

11,759 posts, read 5,216,625 times
Quote:
And he isn't all that famous.
He was pretty famous even before the Kardashians shows. He was an Olympic gold medalist and is in Olympic Hall of Fame.

Mick

Old 04-27-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
He was pretty famous even before the Kardashians shows. He was an Olympic gold medalist and is in Olympic Hall of Fame.

Mick
I have to hand it to him for getting his name out here. After the Olympics, I remember they put him on a number of TV shows to capitalize in the fame only to find out that he really couldn't act. He quickly disappeared into obscurity for many years after that.

i.e. When they tried to make him an officer on CHiPs. LOL

Old 04-27-2015, 04:30 PM
AFP

6,079 posts, read 3,642,871 times
Quote:

I sure as hell do not.

I think what makes the story national news is because Bruce Jenner is a fairly well known personality and Transgenders are still poorly understood by the public at large.

Also the people that keep posting that they don't care and that it isn't news are full of it otherwise they wouldn't take the time to post.

It seems to me that the issue is that it bothersome to some of you here is that there is currently national attention on the transgender issue and that you would prefer that the curent conversation would just be silenced and not take place. Well in my book that is censure and the last time I checked in America we have something called the first amendment allowing free speech and if the interest wasn't there this story would have fizzled out already.

So my message to all the whiners is Deal with it and if you don't like the converstation then you don't have to read the posts.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:39 PM

5,824 posts, read 3,105,085 times
Quote:

I sure as hell do not.
Sure he is that famous, ABC news gave him 2 hours, locked out of that story NBC is promoting an "exclusive" interview with his often shown daughter. Just look at all the active threads there are about them here. Exactly what is the qualification for fame anyway? I could pot Taiko of Los Angeles dirty laundry and unless I have an internet stalker who wants to use what I wrote to sham me out of a debate nobody would care since I have no fame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or