U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 04:10 PM

11,759 posts, read 5,205,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by umropantelija View Post
IThat did sound a bit weird and actually the idea of a burka is somewhat contradictory to our core values of freedom or is it? One could flip the coin and say freedom means just that - freedom to wear whatever you want.
Goddamn it, what's next, the Jews wearing yarmulke, the Christians wearing the cross, the Mormons wearing the missionary outfit?

"The idea of a burka is somewhat contradictory to our core values of freedom or is it?" In my best imitation of Gary Coleman, "Whatcha talkin' bout, Willis?"

Do you live in a rural area? You might want to take a vacation in NYC for a week or two.

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 04:38 PM

18,536 posts, read 13,678,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
I have seen a few woman who wear full Burkas in my area.

Not very common but with freedom of religion, they have a right to wear them.

I don't know how security at the airports would handle this since you must show ID at the gate and would they have to take the Burka offs to prove who they are?
I know quite a few Muslim women who wear stylish Hijabs and scarves but I hadn't seen the full Saudi Style Burka with eye cut outs only, until recently in San Diego. How they get into the country through airport security is beyond me

Old 04-27-2015, 04:57 PM

1,333 posts, read 635,092 times
The Quran instructs women and men to be modest and cover themselves. From what I've read, this is open to interpretation for all but the most conservative factions. That is why it runs the gamut from Western dress only to full Burquas.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:20 PM

30,402 posts, read 9,081,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I never see full face burqas, but I do often see the head scarves. I don't guess it's any different than Mennonite or Amish women only wearing long dresses. It's all based on silly dated beliefs IMO.

I do wonder what happens if they need photo ID. Surely they must take the face covering off for the pic?

Yup. It's different. Because those Amish women are easily identified as women.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:26 PM

121 posts, read 75,594 times
Quote:
I noticed the other day at the grocery stores two apparently Muslim women wearing full burkas (where the eyes only show). They were in company of a regular, neat and clean western dressed man of middle eastern looks and they were trying to figure out how to work the food dispensers at the health food isle. I figured they are probably newly arrived immigrants and didn't pay much attention to it.

This is becoming a common sight where I am at. Regulars in the gym, grocery stores, on the streets. My sister mentioned at her YMCA there was a woman using a burka in the common area swimming pool. That did sound a bit weird and actually the idea of a burka is somewhat contradictory to our core values of freedom or is it? One could flip the coin and say freedom means just that - freedom to wear whatever you want.

I mentioned this to a friend who lives in the north end of town (I live south) and he seemed in disbelief, women in burkas in the US? I was surprised he was stumped.

I am wondering is this a common sight across the entire US or is it more common in the area where I live?

Are you surprised to see this in the US?
How is the idea of a burka contradictory to freedom? Shouldn't someone be able to wear what they like?

Old 04-27-2015, 06:33 PM

5,804 posts, read 3,087,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclover View Post
How is the idea of a burka contradictory to freedom? Shouldn't someone be able to wear what they like?
The belief is that the males are forcing the dehumanizing hiding of the human face on their female family members

Old 04-27-2015, 06:36 PM

121 posts, read 75,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The belief is that the males are forcing the dehumanizing hiding of the human face on their female family members
From the women I have heard from, this is a choice they make themselves. Especially if it is in a country such as the US where people have much more freedom. It is already illegal to force someone to do something with threats here.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:42 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,526,839 times
I don't know anyone who has served in the military in the middle east that isn't enraged by the sight of a burka in western countries. Not saying it is a rational thing, just that it's there.

The way that all but a handful of women (usually married to extreme wealth) are treated in Muslim countries is anything but respectful or loving. I get sick thinking about the women beggars and the physical violence and brutality I saw there.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:06 PM

3,834 posts, read 2,899,591 times
I've lived on both the east and west coasts and have see women in burkas exactly twice. When I see Muslim women they wear head scarves. People getting worked up about nothing.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:16 PM

1,372 posts, read 761,218 times
Quote:
I noticed the other day at the grocery stores two apparently Muslim women wearing full burkas (where the eyes only show). They were in company of a regular, neat and clean western dressed man of middle eastern looks and they were trying to figure out how to work the food dispensers at the health food isle. I figured they are probably newly arrived immigrants and didn't pay much attention to it.

This is becoming a common sight where I am at. Regulars in the gym, grocery stores, on the streets. My sister mentioned at her YMCA there was a woman using a burka in the common area swimming pool. That did sound a bit weird and actually the idea of a burka is somewhat contradictory to our core values of freedom or is it? One could flip the coin and say freedom means just that - freedom to wear whatever you want.

I mentioned this to a friend who lives in the north end of town (I live south) and he seemed in disbelief, women in burkas in the US? I was surprised he was stumped.
Where in the US are you>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or