U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 04:45 PM

11,622 posts, read 5,587,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclover View Post
What bothers me is walking down the beach and seeing a man with no shirt on and a woman forced to wear a top. In the case of the burka, the woman chooses to wear it, in the case of the bathing suit, she is forced to wear it.
^Illogical!

How do you know that the woman "chooses to wear it"? Most likely, she is forced to dress that way by her husband. You are naive if you think otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 04:48 PM

121 posts, read 76,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^Illogical!

How do you know that the woman "chooses to wear it"? Most likely, she is forced to dress that way by her husband. You are naive if you think otherwise.
There are already laws against that. If people are breaking those laws they should be prosecuted. Banning religious garb because some people might be "forced" to wear it is illogical.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:57 PM

11,622 posts, read 5,587,423 times
Quote:
There are already laws against that. If people are breaking those laws they should be prosecuted. Banning religious garb because some people might be "forced" to wear it is illogical.
Who said anything about "banning religious garb"?

However, it is incredibly sexist to see a man in a T-shirt and jeans with a wife following behind covered head-to-toe. If it's good enough for her to wear native clothing, then why doesn't he do so? I can't defend this treatment of women. It's troubling to think that if she is forbidden to wear western clothing, in what other ways is she being abused?

I have seen Muslim couples where both are dressed as they would in in their own countries. At least they are equals in this situation. Still, that's not to say that the woman is free from spousal abuse.

Once again, you are naive if you think that all Muslims adhere to our laws regarding equal rights for women.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:43 PM

13,602 posts, read 7,280,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If they were really seeking religious freedom in America, why bring the burkas over here? It makes no sense. They aren't exercising religious freedom. They are spitting in our eye...and you defend 'em for doing it.
Who said they came to the U.S. seeking religious freedom? And who says religion freedom to them means the freedom to not wear a burka? How about the freedom to wear whatever style of clothing they want, including a burka? People live in other countries for many reasons - to be with family, economic opportunity, better weather...anything!

Old 04-28-2015, 05:45 PM

13,602 posts, read 7,280,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Who said anything about "banning religious garb"?

However, it is incredibly sexist to see a man in a T-shirt and jeans with a wife following behind covered head-to-toe. If it's good enough for her to wear native clothing, then why doesn't he do so? I can't defend this treatment of women. It's troubling to think that if she is forbidden to wear western clothing, in what other ways is she being abused?

I have seen Muslim couples where both are dressed as they would in in their own countries. At least they are equals in this situation. Still, that's not to say that the woman is free from spousal abuse.

Once again, you are naive if you think that all Muslims adhere to our laws regarding equal rights for women.
Since when do all AMERICANS adhere to equal rights with no discrimination or prejudice against women? WTH world/country/city are YOU living in? Must be some utopia I'm not aware of....take the log out of your own eye before the splinter in your neighbor's.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:29 PM

9,207 posts, read 6,410,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umropantelija View Post
I noticed the other day at the grocery stores two apparently Muslim women wearing full burkas (where the eyes only show). They were in company of a regular, neat and clean western dressed man of middle eastern looks and they were trying to figure out how to work the food dispensers at the health food isle. I figured they are probably newly arrived immigrants and didn't pay much attention to it.

This is becoming a common sight where I am at. Regulars in the gym, grocery stores, on the streets. My sister mentioned at her YMCA there was a woman using a burka in the common area swimming pool. That did sound a bit weird and actually the idea of a burka is somewhat contradictory to our core values of freedom or is it? One could flip the coin and say freedom means just that - freedom to wear whatever you want.

I mentioned this to a friend who lives in the north end of town (I live south) and he seemed in disbelief, women in burkas in the US? I was surprised he was stumped.

I am wondering is this a common sight across the entire US or is it more common in the area where I live?

Are you surprised to see this in the US?
How in the world did that woman manage a burka in a swimming pool????

Old 04-28-2015, 06:33 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,058,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
How in the world did that woman manage a burka in a swimming pool????
there is a special type of burka that is more like a wetsuit. it looks like this:

http://www.sunwayuvclothing.com/User...im%20woman.jpg

Old 04-28-2015, 06:34 PM

22,947 posts, read 21,613,922 times
Quote:
For all you know a woman walking down the street in a certain outfit was forced to wear it. We have laws in place banning this sort of treatment, that is the best we can do. Banning burkas would be a clear violation of the First Amendment.

There is nothing illogical about anything I said. Banning a religious garment is simply against the very legal foundation of our country. It doesn't make a different if a man or a woman is wearing it, but we all know that in more than 99% of cases it is a woman so your comment is silly.

Actually that is exactly what personal freedom is. As long as you aren't directly harming someone else you should be able to do what you want. If someone chooses to walk around naked that isn't harming anyone and should be legal in a free society. A society with logical laws is very different from anarchy. How is putting a law in place saying woman aren't allowed to show their stomachs in public any more arbitrary than saying they can't show their breasts?
Then please explain <bold> the ban on KKK hoods?
BTW, not any kind of fan of the Klan nor do I agree with anything they do. Just making a point.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:43 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,863,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
I don't care if they wear pup tents over their heads, as long as they are willing to show their face when identification is necessary for public safety, such as when applying for a drivers license, or passing thru an airport checkpoint.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I've seen the full burkas too, not in the country but in the city. It's repulsive to me. Give it another 20 years. Burkas will be all the rage...and they'll start to make their appearance in the suburbs and small towns. It'll spread like cancer, which is cancer's purpose. Know that it's over when that happens. It'll be too late to turn back the tide.

Only those with some intelligence will not take issue with what I'm saying. The truth is, if you don't fight for what's dear to you, others will come along and take it away from you in stealth. Just ask the Native Americans who welcomed the white people with open arms.
No, it won't spread among any but fundamentalist Muslims. Most women like getting lots of attention from men.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:09 PM

121 posts, read 76,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Then please explain <bold> the ban on KKK hoods?
BTW, not any kind of fan of the Klan nor do I agree with anything they do. Just making a point.
My guess would be that they don't consider the KKK a religion and therefore it isn't protected under the First Amendment. I think all belief systems no matter how crazy should be tolerated not just religions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or