Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:09 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by umropantelija View Post
I noticed the other day at the grocery stores two apparently Muslim women wearing full burkas (where the eyes only show). They were in company of a regular, neat and clean western dressed man of middle eastern looks and they were trying to figure out how to work the food dispensers at the health food isle. I figured they are probably newly arrived immigrants and didn't pay much attention to it.

This is becoming a common sight where I am at. Regulars in the gym, grocery stores, on the streets. My sister mentioned at her YMCA there was a woman using a burka in the common area swimming pool. That did sound a bit weird and actually the idea of a burka is somewhat contradictory to our core values of freedom or is it? One could flip the coin and say freedom means just that - freedom to wear whatever you want.

I mentioned this to a friend who lives in the north end of town (I live south) and he seemed in disbelief, women in burkas in the US? I was surprised he was stumped.

I am wondering is this a common sight across the entire US or is it more common in the area where I live?

Are you surprised to see this in the US?
Religious freedom is about as fundamentally a core value as you can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 10:19 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
How about an insistence that the state accommodate sharia law?

Old 04-27-2015, 10:19 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
If they were really seeking religious freedom in America, why bring the burkas over here? It makes no sense. They aren't exercising religious freedom. They are spitting in our eye...and you defend 'em for doing it.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:29 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Not an uncommon sight in the DC area, and you see them in the Aventura Mall here in Florida.

I served in the ME and I am not even the slightest bit enraged by the sight of a burka in a western country, nor anyone I know that served with me.
The Hijab is not an uncommon sight in DC, the burka is still pretty rare.

If you served in the ME and everyone that you know that served there has no issues with women in Burkas in western countries, you served in an extremely unique unit, with some very unique veterans, or you did a 4 month AF tour in Qatar at what is, for the other services, the R&R post, and your "veterans" are AF and limited to the same type of 4 month service in Qatar in the ME.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:46 PM

121 posts, read 101,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Apart from the dubious freedom to be superstitious, an exchange in which one person can see the other but not the reverse is inequitable - and at odds with the tenets of a 'free' society.
Why do I have to be able to see someone else to have an exchange with them? What part of them do I have to see? If a woman talks to me while she is in a bikini does that mean I have to strip down in order to talk with her?

Old 04-27-2015, 11:55 PM

8 posts, read 10,018 times
In Las Vegas, you routinely see women with hijabs gambling.

And gambling will get them STONED in a conservative muslum country. its way FORBIDDEN

SO - they come here to play the slots so they dont get stoned

Old 04-27-2015, 11:59 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I never see full face burqas, but I do often see the head scarves. I don't guess it's any different than Mennonite or Amish women only wearing long dresses. It's all based on silly dated beliefs IMO.

I do wonder what happens if they need photo ID. Surely they must take the face covering off for the pic?
There was a legal case about this issue in the early 2000s. A woman who had converted to Islam wanted to wear her veil in new driver's license photos, which were ordered by Florida after 9/11:

USATODAY.com - Muslim woman cannot wear veil in driver's license photo

Court upholds ruling on license photo (Florida Court Upholds Ban of Muslim Veil)

Interestingly, she had posed veil-free for mugshots.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:29 AM

91 posts, read 125,996 times
I didn't anticipate so many replies I'll try to answer some inquiries...

I live in south end of Seattle area and was wanting to know if this is common sight across US or not. I've been around the world and nowhere else is burka seen in context of freedom other then here in US due to religious freedom laws we have and others don't. In France for example burka is illegal. Elsewhere outside US it is usually seen as the opposite. In some places in ME and N. Africa hijab is required dress code for women. Not a choice. Not sure about burka.

I remember seeing a Saudi royalty guy of sorts on Italian Riviera back in late 80's. His entourage was a group of 40 or so women in burkas (harem?) and security personnel. They went shopping into a big jewelry store, some women even appeared to have blue eyes, the way they had to stay together and behave it didn't have much to do with freedom. My freedom was across the street at the topless beach.

Someone mentioned New York - curiously I had a girlfriend in Washington Heights and was flying back and forth all the time back in 2002-2005 and I don't remember any burkas in public, not even hijabs, only an occasional Russian grandma with a scarf.

I heard UN has somehow lobbied congress trough state department to allow greater number of Muslim refugees to be allowed into the US. I think Boston bombers came here trough one of those programs. There are millions of displaced people in the middle east due to recent conflicts and I think this is why we are seeing a greater number of women in burkas here. I have posted this to find out if we are getting more of the refugees locally or not since there is little press coverage on things like this.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:42 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umropantelija View Post
I noticed the other day at the grocery stores two apparently Muslim women wearing full burkas (where the eyes only show). They were in company of a regular, neat and clean western dressed man of middle eastern looks and they were trying to figure out how to work the food dispensers at the health food isle. I figured they are probably newly arrived immigrants and didn't pay much attention to it.

This is becoming a common sight where I am at. Regulars in the gym, grocery stores, on the streets. My sister mentioned at her YMCA there was a woman using a burka in the common area swimming pool. That did sound a bit weird and actually the idea of a burka is somewhat contradictory to our core values of freedom or is it? One could flip the coin and say freedom means just that - freedom to wear whatever you want.

I mentioned this to a friend who lives in the north end of town (I live south) and he seemed in disbelief, women in burkas in the US? I was surprised he was stumped.

I am wondering is this a common sight across the entire US or is it more common in the area where I live?

Are you surprised to see this in the US?
We have lots of Muslim immigrants in my area (Dallas), I see them all the time, but I've only seen the full Burkas a few times. The only time that stuck out to me was at an Olive Garden (of all places). Our group was seated and I noticed a group of well dressed men waiting for their table. When they were called, a couple of them left the restaurant for a few moments and returned with a group of women (assuming wives) in full burkas (only eyes). My assumption was that they had been waiting in the car, that perhaps it wasn't considered proper for them to wait in the foyer?

Old 04-28-2015, 01:48 AM

22,457 posts, read 11,981,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If they were really seeking religious freedom in America, why bring the burkas over here? It makes no sense. They aren't exercising religious freedom. They are spitting in our eye...and you defend 'em for doing it.
What bothers me is seeing a Muslim man dressed in western clothing and walking behind him is his wife who is just about covered head to toe. If it's alright for him to wear western clothing, then it's alright for her to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events