Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 09:24 AM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-luv View Post
didn't read the link, but... ...i live nearby. The gang leaders met with clergy at a baptist church. The meeting is to find a way to stop the rioting, not increase it. For those who do not live in or near baltimore: The main activity is on the west side and it is a safe bet to say that the gang leaders do not want the national guard or more police in their hoods. The rioters/looters, if you can believe it, are making it difficult for the drug dealers to conduct business. Lexington market may be world famous, but it is also a prime "open air" drug market, too. Lexington market closed because of what is going on, and will likely remain closed tomorrow. It's not like the rioters are looting in roland park or homewood or canton or where-ever; there is heroin to be bought and sold in those streets on the west side. The store owners and residents were not the only ones to lose money today; drug dealing happens on the street in baltimore and the west side is prime real estate for that.
^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 09:29 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
The question is , why are open air drug markets allowed to exist. Oh, it's because they aren't in "nice upper class areas"?

I see the same issues in Los Angeles, illegal behavior tolerated in one part of town but not the other...in the same city!

It is an injustice...and the 'cheap' homes in L.A are $400,000 or more now.

They just recently cracked down on street prostitution my area. Street prostitution where the homes are around $400,000..

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/feb...ution-20140225

Old 04-28-2015, 09:41 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
In the PC Newspeak of every major city in the U.S., they are no longer referred to publicly as "gangs." They are now "groups." Of "youths."

Old 04-28-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
In the PC Newspeak of every major city in the U.S., they are no longer referred to publicly as "gangs." They are now "groups." Of "youths."
And they should be given Space to Destroy!...

Things seem to have gotten more PC recently.

There was a period where there was less of it , but it seems we've reverted.

The gangs take advantage of politically corrected and use it to their advantage.
They view it as weakness.

You think there is much sense trying to talk sense to a gangbanger?

Maybe 1% will eventually turn around and do something positive and productive.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:57 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
How far are you willing to take it? Legalize marijuana and they just start selling something else. Do you think we should just legalize everything - heroine, meth, cocaine, crack? I'm not willing for that to happen. Legalization gives legitimacy and acceptance to drugs. It becomes a right-of-passage for young people.
People already use drugs regardless. If your theory was true there'd be no addicts. Just smokers and alcoholics.

Legalize weed. Decriminalize the other stuff. Start funding rehabilitation and alternative treatment.

It doesn't mean you sell crack, heroine, etc, it just means you change the way you treat the drugs, addicts and users.

Legalization is a start.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:58 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
The question is , why are open air drug markets allowed to exist. Oh, it's because they aren't in "nice upper class areas"?
I see the same issues in Los Angeles, illegal behavior tolerated in one part of town but not the other...in the same city!
It is an injustice...and the 'cheap' homes in L.A are $400,000 or more now.
They just recently cracked down on street prostitution my area. Street prostitution where the homes are around $400,000..
L.A. officials call for crackdown on prostitution in Valley - latimes
I take it that you never watched The Wire

Old 04-28-2015, 09:59 AM

no I don't watch many tv shows.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:01 AM

939 posts, read 795,301 times
At some point, police need to be held CRIMINALLY accountable for their actions. Suspension with pay means nothing. The Police Commissioner admits they were wrong, so fire them and bring charges! Things will only escalate as police become more overly vigilant, and blacks more frustrated. As long as those in authority are not held accountable- it will get worse in our country. I am white, but I do not trust police nor our legal system. Blacks in America are alot smarter when it comes to this issue (no, I do not condone violence), while white America by and large is still naive towards this issue.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:02 AM

I wonder if property prices will go down more. Not sure what they are now. But now with this happening there will be a lot of money flowing into Baltimore most likely.
Will be interesting to see what happens.

I heard that after the Oklahoma City bombings , people started taking notice of the downtown and investing in it and it's turned around a lot.

That project, the Metropolitan Area Projects Plan, known as MAPS, was a 1 percent sales tax dedicated to funding capital improvement projects now widely credited with revitalizing downtown Oklahoma City.
Legacy of the Oklahoma City Bombing | Oklahoma Watch

Old 04-28-2015, 10:05 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I wonder if property prices will go down more. Not sure what they are now. But now with this happening there will be a lot of money flowing into Baltimore most likely.
Will be interesting to see what happens.

I heard that after the Oklahoma City bombings , people started taking notice of the downtown and investing in it and it's turned around a lot.

That project, the Metropolitan Area Projects Plan, known as MAPS, was a 1 percent sales tax dedicated to funding capital improvement projects now widely credited with revitalizing downtown Oklahoma City.
Legacy of the Oklahoma City Bombing | Oklahoma Watch
Yes, downtown Oklahoma City is quite the vibrant metropolis nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events