Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 10:13 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Baltimore is already a lost city like Detroit, and STL. Put a fence around it. Cut off the taxpayer support. The gangs won't last long.
That's exactly what they plan to do. That's how gentrification works. You have to push the poor black people out first. A few water shutoffs is a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 10:18 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
There actually seem to be signs that Detroit has potential to turn around.. possibly.

Some seem to say it's already turned around. Kind of interesting how it goes from "Detroit it a hell hole where you can buy a house for $1...to Detroit is a cool place now, and business is good"

Mainstream media skips a lot of the inbetween stuff..

Warren Buffett and Michael Bloomberg on Detroit's turnaround

I always notice these trends...and then kick myself for not doing anything about it. GRRR

Look at what happened with Cincinnati too... Over the rhine was one of the most dangerous neighborhoods and now its filled with hipsters buying lofts and going to gastropubs.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:20 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
At some point, police need to be held CRIMINALLY accountable for their actions. Suspension with pay means nothing. The Police Commissioner admits they were wrong, so fire them and bring charges! Things will only escalate as police become more overly vigilant, and blacks more frustrated. As long as those in authority are not held accountable- it will get worse in our country. I am white, but I do not trust police nor our legal system. Blacks in America are alot smarter when it comes to this issue (no, I do not condone violence), while white America by and large is still naive towards this issue.
We all should be concerned, not just blacks as we become more fenced in,spied upon,investigated,interrogated,arrested by our legal "system".

Nowadays there's not just one law but 10-20 laws about anything under the sun you can think of from sitting in your front room watching T.V. to just walking down the street.
Hell, there's laws about just standing still and breathing air and they're creating more and more yearly.

There isn't anything you can do,say,or think that isn't controlled by some law somehow. How sad is that?
Free people? Yeah ok...

Old 04-28-2015, 10:30 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
That's exactly what they plan to do. That's how gentrification works. You have to push the poor black people out first. A few water shutoffs is a start.
Hmmm of course those water shut offs couldn't have anything to do with non-payment, now could it? Nah! That couldn't be it! It's just picking on black people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
We all should be concerned, not just blacks as we become more fenced in,spied upon,investigated,interrogated,arrested by our legal "system".

Nowadays there's not just one law but 10-20 laws about anything under the sun you can think of from sitting in your front room watching T.V. to just walking down the street.
Hell, there's laws about just standing still and breathing air and they're creating more and more yearly.

There isn't anything you can do,say,or think that isn't controlled by some law somehow. How sad is that?
Free people? Yeah ok...

Totally agree on all that you said! And yet we the people are the ones who vote the politicians in on both sides of the aisle who enact a number of these uneccessary laws, and keep expecting different results! That said, it still does not excuse the actions of the rioters or looters in Baltimore or Ferguson!

Old 04-28-2015, 10:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Hmmm of course those water shut offs couldn't have anything to do with non-payment, now could it? Nah! That couldn't be it! It's just picking on black people.

Totally agree on all that you said! And yet we the people are the ones who vote the politicians in on both sides of the aisle who enact a number of these uneccessary laws, and keep expecting different results! That said, it still does not excuse the actions of the rioters or looters in Baltimore or Ferguson!
You are correct <bold> but it surely doesn't help the situation before the riots jump off to begin with. This foments a mindset that is open to further actions, especially when you pile on severe poverty etc. Maybe it's kind of like a scab that won't heal so you finally say "to heck with it, I'll just chop off that body part and be done with it".

Old 04-28-2015, 10:46 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You are correct <bold> but it surely doesn't help the situation before the riots jump off to begin with. This foments a mindset that is open to further actions, especially when you pile on severe poverty etc. Maybe it's kind of like a scab that won't heal so you finally say "to heck with it, I'll just chop off that body part and be done with it".

Here is the problem. We (as you somewhat alluded to in your post) already have a growing police state. Rioting and looting is going to feed it even more, and therefore is counter-productive! I get what you're saying about poverty, but being poor is no excuse to act like an a-hole!

Old 04-28-2015, 10:50 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I hate to break it to you, but gang members almost never riot. If there are people arrested who claim to belong to a gang they are generally just 'wannabees'. Gangs exist mostly to deal drugs. They don't want anyone or anything disrupting their business. Looters are usually really young, totally out of control kids.
Did you mean to quote me? I said nothing about a riot, nor did I express any type of hope at the idea that people would make a pact to kill police (which is suggested when you say, "hate to break it to you..."). I merely related that clearly, gang members don't give a crap about killing someone (in the specific case of my story, it was a norteno who shot a group of white kids in a family park because one of them was wearing a blue shirt), so if they decided to go out and kill cops, then I wouldn't be particularly surprised. A riot isn't necessary to do that. Plenty of gang members - actual gang members, not "wannabees" like you talk about - have killed cops over the years. And doing drive-bys, or shooting people out in public, in front of many witnesses - none of that is lying low and not doing anything to disrupt their business.

Do I think there's an actual pact? Probably not - I doubt there would be actual organization around it. But it's absolutely in the realm that gang members would want to kill cops. Why not? It's not like they haven't before.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:51 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,568 times
This mom has the right idea...

If my son were participating in this nonsense, I'd beat his a**.Call child protective services now...

https://gma.yahoo.com/baltimore-mom-...opstories.html

Old 04-28-2015, 10:52 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,567,177 times
Black Gorilla Family ????

Old 04-28-2015, 10:53 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
Did you mean to quote me? I said nothing about a riot, nor did I express any type of hope at the idea that people would make a pact to kill police (which is suggested when you say, "hate to break it to you..."). I merely related that clearly, gang members don't give a crap about killing someone (in the specific case of my story, it was a norteno who shot a group of white kids in a family park because one of them was wearing a blue shirt), so if they decided to go out and kill cops, then I wouldn't be particularly surprised. A riot isn't necessary to do that. Plenty of gang members - actual gang members, not "wannabees" like you talk about - have killed cops over the years. And doing drive-bys, or shooting people out in public, in front of many witnesses - none of that is lying low and not doing anything to disrupt their business.

Do I think there's an actual pact? Probably not - I doubt there would be actual organization around it. But it's absolutely in the realm that gang members would want to kill cops. Why not? It's not like they haven't before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5gRIud57jQ

Interesting that the song is by ICE T, but it has a punk rock style to it. I had heard of the controversy behind the song years ago, but don't think I had heard it before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events