U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 06:52 AM

20,014 posts, read 20,514,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Leave your dam dogs at home and all this can be avoided. Give me a break.
Or just don't leave them in a hot car. How hard is that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 07:33 AM

3,012 posts, read 1,810,469 times
She wasn't forced to do so, though. She could have said no and gotten the ticket, or she could have sat in the car and not gotten a ticket. Personally, I would rather sit in a hot car and save myself all of the money and aggravation of getting a ticket, plus I might have learned a little something about proper pet care as well. If I were an idiot who didn't already know better, that is.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:43 AM

27,248 posts, read 15,033,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
No mick.. you're grossly wrong... what you have seen lately and for all times are abberations that occur in a very small percentile of police actions. Heavy application of use of force happens rarely for most policemen.

Your throwaway line smacks of misunderstanding of the job of a policeman. Most of my day is dealing with people who do stupid stuff or cannot get along...using us to support their position in some manner... our job is to try to mediate try to find the truth and keep the peace ... somewhere in there we try to do it with as little damage as possible to everyone.

Arrest is the last recourse when other avenues have failed ... and it is only a stop gap measure anyway. People complain the prisons were too crowded so we did mass rekeases...dopers complained they were sick and not criminals so we did mass releases of them.. really to book someone today it needs to be a serious felony otherwise its a rotating door with a book and release ... that's the reality

Now we have citizens screaming that their neighborhoods are under policed and over run with drugs and felons walking around reoffending.. victimizing everyone

When I said we have ways of dealing with difficult people we do... whatever end result needs to occur...suspects will always lose.. always.. at some point in some way by some method they will go to jail if that is the intended consequence

Example
Officer stops person for simple traffic violation
Citizen doesn't think the violation warranted and refuses to sign
Citizen arrested for violation and for failing to sign
Policy for us dictates field sergeant respond and re explain citation process ... citizen again fails to sign.. happens rarely but does happen
Citizen arrested
Officers place compliant or non compliant person in custody
Use of force policy kicks in
Suspect complies.. gets booked and released for later date
Suspect fights... runs.. drives off.. 100 other dumb or cruminal things people do in minor situations that escalate on their own doing
Pursuit policy.. k9 policy..air resources.. foot pursuit policy.. taser..arwen ... bean bag..pepper spray ... lots of policies instantly kick in... as does higher and higher levels of supervisory control.. documentation and response...
More personnel are allocated or suspect id'd for a later arrest....

Or... the person could have just signed the citation and driven off

Much has been made on this website about the blue wall of silence... more correctly should be thread of comraderie... a necessary component of anything humans do that makes them a force of change for others... academies all over the US spend hours on ethics... departments spend thousands to millions in training to get messages of "the right stuff" within all of us as good human beings and what being a servant means

Does this mean Joe citizen senses this on the street ... well... as my interaction is usually minutes most people don't... they only see... bad man wrote me a ticket.. arrested me.. whaaaa Im not bad.. the bad policeman is...

Wake up america ... there ARE bad policemen ... not sire if they started out like that ..I hope not.. but if we looked deeply at every instance we could probably attribute something that made them or changed them that could be causal

600000-1.5 million law officers depending on whose stats you believe will go to work today... over 99 percent of the business they conduct will be professional service ... many won't like it because they will be on the receiving end of someone asking requesting or making them do somdthing they didn't do... for a million reasons
End result ... it will get done

But....
You know all this...
But . . . you know what? My job requires that I consistently tell people that they cannot have what they want and think they deserve. I'm hated. Yet, I'm still required to deliver the bad news in such a manner that I'm professional and courteous. I get yelled and screamed at and called lots of names - I do not react.

And you know what else? It really pi$$es me off when a co-worker of MINE isn't doing their job. If they are telling people things that aren't true. If they are consistently in violation of the laws we are bound by. I would not protect that person for one second.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:21 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,507,401 times
This was definitely an awesome act by the officer. It would be nice if he publically lambasted his brethren for randomly shooting family pets though.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Cop Makes Woman Sit In Hot Car To See How Her Dog Felt: Police Blotter

Kudos to this fine officer! Sometimes stupid people need to be taught the hard way about not leaving your dog in a hot car.

I never could understand why a dog has to accompany someone when they go shopping. Any time you are going into some place where the dog is not allowed, the dog should be left home. What is wrong with people?
Personally I don't understand why people have to drag their entire broods shopping. Kids are LOUD, run unfettered most of the time, destroy merchandise and annoy all the other shoppers, not to mention the employees !

My dog does NONE of those things. As far as hygiene issues goes, he also doesn't cough OPEN MOUTHED all over everything or paw merchandise with dirty paws.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
There are people in this forum who've already said if they had to choose between saving a baby or their dog in a fire or flood they'd choose their dog. You can't reason with some pet owners.
Yeh, just like you can't reason with some parents who think you should love their special snowflake above your own family member.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
I was wondering about just that sort of hypothetical. Some people on here truly do value the lives of random animals over those of their fellow human being. That's just messed up.

Folks, you are getting riled up over a DOG. Please, take a step back from your computer, and think about what you're writing.
It's subjective what's messed up and what isn't.

Personally I think anyone who expects someone to give up a family member they love very much for some random child that they DONT love is messed up.

I hope you don't own pets with your "Just a dog" attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events