U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 07:35 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,732,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
I'm not sure why the police in Baltimore are so pathetic. This just seems like a bunch of stupid unarmed kids wilding out, and they can't even contain that.
I'm sure you can Mr brave man.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 07:35 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,468,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The police are not the problem. The criminals are the problem.
No, the police are the only problem. You are totally ignoring the fact that if the police had just acted professionally and arrested Freddie Gray without injuring him, today would be just another day in Baltimore, and people would be watching the baseball game right now.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:36 PM

9,057 posts, read 6,747,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Do you lack the ability to critically think? Or do you like being obtuse? Both are in the news and both demonstrate the petty nature of these kinds of "riots" in the USA.

i.e. Entitle youth in $250 Air Jordans tearing up a city based on media speculation about the death of yet another criminal arrested by police. VS a city completely destroyed by earthquake which kills close to 4000 (so far) The contrast couldn't be more stark.
In other words, nothing.

It may be petty to you. It's not petty to them. This is one of the problems - you don't take valid concerns of an entire community seriously, you lump everyone together, you cast every black person as a criminal that deserves what they get, regardless of any transgression or lack thereof, regardless of the severity of said transgression, and this is what you get.

The glee emanating from the told you so's on this thread makes me sick. I think the rioting is really really awful, but I think the people that can't distinguish between rioters and black people are even worse.

There's been a huge turn around in Camden, one of the former most violent cities in the country, after the cops got out of their cars and started walking the streets and getting to know the residents. The whole former force was canned and replaced with new, less jaded cops. Fear and distrust has gone way down. It's not impossible.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:39 PM

1,587 posts, read 769,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
No, the police are the only problem. You are totally ignoring the fact that if the police had just acted professionally and arrested Freddie Gray without injuring him, today would be just another day in Baltimore, and people would be watching the baseball game right now.
Very typical and common of you to blame police for everything and give criminals a free pass. I expect nothing less from you.

3 posts, read 3,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Groups of people have started to riot as of about 20 minutes ago, looks to be mostly youths of high school age throwing bricks,rocks,bottles etc at police.
Several High Schools have reported Black students walked out and seems they went to the location where the rioting broke out.

News reporters have been injured, cops injured one left unresponsive.
Naturally looting has started, CVS pharmacy currently under siege.

Sad day for Baltimore!
by what I see on the news coverage it looks like THUGS, Punks , teenagers ....very sad for the loss, but why do "some" black thugs if you will act like animals and vandal / destroy businesses and steal items...this is ignorant behavior. Demonstrations are good but peaceful. Acting stupid helps no cause...

Police must treat all citizens equal and a lot don't, prayers to Baltimore and the healing process.

7,142 posts, read 8,468,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
One of these days a news reporter is going to get severely beaten or killed. Maybe then they'll learn not to stir the pot so much.
Several reporters have all ready been severely beaten. Doesn't seem to be changing their coverage. So much for your theory.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:40 PM

8,088 posts, read 7,349,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
I doubt it. That would only escalate the situation into a full scale urban war. You already have highly organized gangs in Baltimore who are openly hoping this will escalate into a war with the police.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks the mayor and the cops have a decent strategy. Turn the neighborhood into a 'containment zone.' Let the looters take out a cop car and their own CVS and wear themselves out. The looters currently look very bad and it's going to be very hard for anyone to spin this into some sort of protest of "militarized police" or brutality at this point. Just wait it out and make sure it doesn't spill over. The whole thing will be over by tomorrow. However, if they send in the tanks and shoot people it will just turn into Ferguson 2.0.
No. That was done in Miami with the McDuffie riots and the police were roundly criticized and numerous innocent people inside the no-go zone were injured and killed. Policy now is to be aggressive and enter the area.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:41 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,805,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

Give me a break, there is no justification for looting and mass violence in response to a single incident that has yet to even be fully investigated. If one or more of these cops end up going to jail over this, these looters are going to look like even bigger morons and criminals.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:42 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,055,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
No. That was done in Miami with the McDuffie riots and the police were roundly criticized and numerous innocent people inside the no-go zone were injured and killed. Policy now is to be aggressive and enter the area.
Well, it sounds like I am wrong by two counter examples (rodney king riots and mcduffie).

Then I am wondering why the cops are not doing anything. It seems like they can't do basic policing.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:45 PM

86,093 posts, read 70,054,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I lived in Miami Beach at that time. I can still remember seeing the smoke from fires across the Intracoastal.
They closed off all the causeways and didn't let anyone enter the riot area because there were lots of sniper fire going on. The looters were armed and using their weapons.

And those riots started off the same way..peaceful protests. And ended the same way..they destroyed their own neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or