Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 03:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times

Advertisements

Let me ask this, they have a minority/majority city, they have all the top positions filled by Black people and yet the people aren't happy and they're saying the same things as were said in Ferguson,Los Angeles,New York City etc. every time there's a riot/protest which is Racism,injustice,poverty to just name a few are rampant in our city.

Given the above what exactly do these rioters want? Seriously, I'm befuddled by all of this.The complaints have been Blacks are not represented fairly when it comes to power positions and if they were all would be rainbows and sunshine.
Well????
Blacks are well represented in Baltimore, from the Mayor to the Police so why is this happening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 03:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
I remember the Watts riots.

And then Oakland decades later.

Ferguson to a lesser extent.

Now Baltimore.
There is nothing that's happened to date that equals the Watts riots that for sure. THAT was a serious riot...

Old 04-28-2015, 03:29 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I wouldn't take a sip. LOL. That kid shouldn't even be out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It's probably poisoned.
Yeah, watch out for those unopened bottles of water filled with poison being handed out in broad daylight in front of people with cameras.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:30 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Yeah, watch out for those unopened bottles of water filled with poison being handed out in broad daylight in front of people with cameras.

Why is a young child in the middle of a riot trying to hand bottled water to the police?

Old 04-28-2015, 03:30 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Let me ask this, they have a minority/majority city, they have all the top positions filled by Black people and yet the people aren't happy and they're saying the same things as were said in Ferguson,Los Angeles,New York City etc. every time there's a riot/protest which is Racism,injustice,poverty to just name a few are rampant in our city.

Given the above what exactly do these rioters want? Seriously, I'm befuddled by all of this.The complaints have been Blacks are not represented fairly when it comes to power positions and if they were all would be rainbows and sunshine.
Well????
Blacks are well represented in Baltimore, from the Mayor to the Police so why is this happening?
They could be "protesting" the blatant police state that we're seeing in America amongst other things, not too sure. In all honesty, I think the actual protesting was in good cause, but then you have the idiots that are content with making everyone's lives miserable who had to ruin it and take it into rioting for their own selfish views.

Also, kudos to the mods for somewhat cleaning this thread up of those hateful, bigoted responses. There's still a few that remain though.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:32 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,014,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post

I know they were throwing bottles of pee at officers in Ferguson so I wouldn't be surprised if they did that in Baltimore.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:39 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Why is a young child in the middle of a riot trying to hand bottled water to the police?

Did you ever think that the child's life was not in imminent danger, that the gesture was a sign of respect to the police officers, that the police were stationed there in case anything broke out, or that the police could be helping protect the individuals cleaning up after the riots? Or did you even think, period and just react with negativity?

It's broad daylight with cell phones and camera crews out all over the place, and people think some 7 year old is out to poison police officers with unopened bottles of water.

Leave it to the armchair cynics of C-D to try to find wrong in everything.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:50 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,932,740 times
I've seen so many people have the issue with the term "thugs" when it comes to those who have been protes..... a-hem... I mean rioting out there. I dunno... maybe because it comes with a certain stereotype on what that term is. So... how about we just call them terrorists? Sounds about right.... because terrorizing their city and the general public is exactly what they're doing... and they seem to be so proud of it...

Old 04-28-2015, 04:22 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Again blacks aren't the only ones that are impoverished especially these days. There are many whites and Hispanics that work hard for what little they have. Many are single parents or have parents on drugs. They don't live in the best neighborhoods and have food stamps to survive - but they are not out there looting and destroying property.
Good point! But how do we separate the responsible from the irresponsible? And how do we address the economic ignorance (on both sides of the divide)?

I'm proud to identify as an economic conservative. but I recognize that too many among our comfortable upper-middle class are living on wealth somebody else earned -- and they usually don't recognize that the demand for exotic and unnecessary services often "trickles down" to the point where the burden falls on those struggling at the bottom. Meanwhile, the American economy's ability to produce useful things(or any output more easily stored, denominated and, most importantly, withheld, continues to deteriorate.

Putting higher taxes directly upon income hurts us all; but levying them on frivolous services and frilly consumption, while it might not solve the problem, would certainly help to identify it.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:50 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
I've seen so many people have the issue with the term "thugs" when it comes to those who have been protes..... a-hem... I mean rioting out there. I dunno... maybe because it comes with a certain stereotype on what that term is. So... how about we just call them terrorists? Sounds about right.... because terrorizing their city and the general public is exactly what they're doing... and they seem to be so proud of it...
The Mayor used the word 'thugs' ---

“I’m a life-long resident of Baltimore, and too many people have spent generations building up this city for it to be destroyed by thugs who, in a very senseless way, are trying to tear down what so many have fought for,” she said. “We are deploying every resource possible to gain control of the situation and to ensure peace moving forward.”

Baltimore Mayor Imposes Curfew, Says ‘Thugs’ Trying To Tear Down City « CBS Baltimore

To avoid stereotyping, maybe she was referring to only the non-black destroyers of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events