Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 08:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times

Advertisements

I had a conversation with my adult son last night about all of this, specifically while watching the police be attacked and not fighting back. He asked what I would do if I was one of the officers and after some thought I told him "I'd probably go to the mayor and hand her my badge/ID after telling her that I cannot condone being used as a target/cannon fodder/fuel for your political gain".

I see a no confidence vote coming to Baltimore soon, I can't see the PD trusting or wanting to work for a city hall like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 08:50 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post

The rioting demographic needs to be REALLY careful. People of European descent have a long fuse, but also have proven to have no equals in the area of responding with extreme prejudice when angered.
Yes. We can get quite nasty if pushed too far. Unlike some racial groups, we are peaceful folks in the main. But if we get angry, we get REAL angry. That's why I hope a solution can be found to these problems somewhere down the line. I wish I had all the answers, but I don't.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:54 AM

542 posts, read 1,683,138 times
From what I understand, the Governor ordered in the National Guard. Have they been deployed yet? Perhaps the mayor isn't allowing it.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:57 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,014,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
From what I understand, the Governor ordered in the National Guard. Have they been deployed yet? Perhaps the mayor isn't allowing it.
Yes they are being deployed. The really good part is they are national guard military police units that spent a lot of time in Iraq and Afgan

Old 04-28-2015, 08:58 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,140 times
We gave out 9mm rounds to the national guard in L.A because the politicians sent them in without bullets

The Koreans did a great job protecting their own stores

We watched from a water tower while thugs backed a stolen rental truck through the side of Western Guns (it was in L.A City.. we were county) stealing over 2500 firearms... very few were ever recovered

When the politicians finally let us out day two of the riot we cleaned house,,, arresting several thousand the first day,, most were never prosecuted.. 53 people were murdered in L.A. during the riots

Baltimore didnt learn anything from history.. I know the area well.. I started in Maryland and went to BPD;s academy.. they are a good department,, and would take care of biz if they were allowed to... like L.A too little too late

I didnt arrest citizens during the L.A riots I stopped with guns... if I could determine they weren't a crook I just sent them home with an empty gun. why.. because I was disgusted we couldnt protect them..

Just like Im disgusted now

And a major reason why we are moving to small town America...

Old 04-28-2015, 08:58 AM

671 posts, read 890,368 times
I watched the riots, I watched the interviews with the rioters. What I saw was young people who were functionally illiterate. If you can't communicate you can't even flip burgers..There is a bleak future ahead for these kids.
I wondered where were the parents,,and how the family structure had to be scrambled eggs to let the kids out on the streets...
Baltimore failed it's poor population and it's poor population failed the city, that much is clear.
I think it's clear enough that the politicians dictate how police department policies are enacted and then wash themselves clean by throwing the police under a bus. Clear enough that the news media hype the situations up and that poverty and a poor education feeds on itself.
What to do? I haven't a clue...If I had to put my finger on where to start it would be with the parents but that would be hopeless because they haven't the skills...Poverty is a black hole.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:00 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,014,596 times

A good sign to see

Old 04-28-2015, 09:04 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,905 times
The koreans did a good job of protecting their stores in LA because it turned out the cops were even more racist against Korean people than they were against black people. The cops blatantly refused to protect the korean community in los angeles during the 1992 riots. LAPD was the most corrupt police force in the entire country at the time.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:05 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Another real victim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDX1...ature=youtu.be

time for shopkeepers to arm up... politicians will not allow your police to protect you
Too bad there aren't more Koreans in this area. They know how to protect their property and shut that crap down.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:05 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
And pardon me for saying it, but the mayor of Baltimore looks like she's on drugs. She's embarrassing to both my husband and I.

We live in a predominantly white community, and we love it. Our neighbors accept us and we accept them. It's a matter of character, not race. We raised our children to respect people of all colors. If these black punks ever decided to branch out, to come and try to burn whitey out of his business, the fight will be on. White people will fight back. White people have lots of patience, but there's a limit to how much they'll be pushed around. My husband and I would join them to protect what we've all worked so hard to create.

Those who are looting and burning down Baltimore have no vested interest in their communities. That's their fault, not whitey's, not the cops, not society's.
Im from New York so I am not really familiar with Rawlings-Blake but my impression is that she is a "progressive" Democrat who has a certain degree of sympathy for the rioters but is forced by her position as mayor to condemn them and speak out, hence her awkwardness.

We saw a similar picture with NYC Mayor Comrade Bill de Blasio last December. He hates the cops, but because he is the mayor he has to appear in support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events