U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 10:13 AM

9,056 posts, read 6,740,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
With widespread news of rioting by young adults and teens, as a parent I'd make sure my teen-age son or daughter was home after school, if only to make sure they were out of danger; we don't even have to get to making sure your children are home to make sure they aren't taking part in the riots . . . the safety rationale of ensuring that your child(ren) are not in the pathway of rioters is stronger. That's not holding black parents to higher standards than white parents. Rather, that is demanding that parents be parents. That parents be responsible for their children's well-being and know their whereabouts, especially during such violent times. Seriously, would you let your teenage son or daughter roam the streets during such chaotic times? I sure as hell wouldn't. But, then again, I tend to view myself as being responsible.

It's called being a parent.

Efforts to play the race card are exactly the reasons why we can't have honest discussions here. Come on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
Your first paragraph is apples to oranges

I would expect white parents to account for their white teens if there was a riot going on in their area.
Actually I agree. I missed the point of the first post. Apologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 10:33 AM

3,720 posts, read 4,447,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Possibly true. Also possible is that sonny boy was in downtown Baltimore having quality time with dad. My guess is that it's another absentee dad. Why do I come up with this conclusion? If you were a male head of the household wouldn't you find every way possible to not have your wife subjected to possible injury or worse going down to find their special snowflake. The DAD would be the parent down there to straighten out junior.

I hope she slapped his dumb butt all the way home. That video to me was all positive. Good for her.
Some men have no desire to do the work that qualifies as head of household. They just want the title. So it's possible that there is a dad at home, while mom does the heavy lifting.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:43 AM

27,354 posts, read 11,447,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Some men have no desire to do the work that qualifies as head of household. They just want the title. So it's possible that there is a dad at home, while mom does the heavy lifting.
that happens, but what evidence do you have that it applies to this situation except for a grossly distorted stereotype of black families? I'm white and so was my ex, the heaviest thing he lifted was a can of beer, want to talk about how many white men are in the home in name only?

Old 04-28-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
that happens, but what evidence do you have that it applies to this situation except for a grossly distorted stereotype of black families? I'm white and so was my ex, the heaviest thing he lifted was a can of beer, want to talk about how many white men are in the home in name only?
Did you overlook the fact that I typed "some men" and not "some black men"? I guess you did.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:47 AM

5,200 posts, read 3,022,098 times
Well, now we know why the kid thought it was okay to take part in violence in the first place.

And the family cycle of violence wheel spins on affecting all of us.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:49 AM

2,958 posts, read 4,385,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
That's sadly true. I guess the difference is between the terms-- MAN and MALE FIGURE.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:53 AM

1,077 posts, read 650,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Well, now we know why the kid thought it was okay to take part in violence in the first place.

Does that mean what his mother did was wrong?

Would she be better thought of if she left him there to continue the destruction and eventually wind up dead?

That was not violence as in DV or child abuse. She got her son out of that dangerous situation that he alone might have thought is the right thing to do. She obviously knew better.

Damned if one does, damned if one doesn't.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

I'd be interested on your feelings about police officers carrying deadly weapons to deter violence. Do you find that contradicting also? Because I don't see a lot of difference between a parent who is the law when it comes to their family, and law enforcement for the general public.

I would guess by your comment against this mother that you are against the police combating force with force too. Because what she did to her son was nowhere near how bad he would get it from the cops when they are allowed to do their jobs.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:19 AM

30,618 posts, read 9,156,162 times
I'm not sure I agree that "more parents should be like this."

Where's the dad? There's the rub. Posses of female relatives don't civilize children; men do.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:24 AM

1,077 posts, read 650,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I'm not sure I agree that "more parents should be like this."

Where's the dad? There's the rub. Posses of female relatives don't civilize children; men do.

Oh please, very distorted.

I was a single parent and I raised my children to be productive members of society. I never had to raise a hand to them. I spoke and they listened.

Men are not always the disciplinarian. It's also about the morals and integrity you teach your child and dignity.

Last edited by Amythyst; 04-28-2015 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: added last sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or