Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 08:21 PM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
I see nothing stupid about the comment. If she were beating a dog like this people would be in an uproar.
I don't believe in spanking kids.

BUT - this mom was likely terrified and couldn't take the chance that her kid was just going to shrug her off and go join the rioting. Apart from the dreadful disrespect to his own neighborhood, he could have been killed, arrested, and enough moms have had to bury their sons in low income black communities for her to have no qualms about getting him out of there and making her message clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 08:25 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Mom Caught On Video Hitting Son Taking Part In Baltimore Riots « CBS DC

It is truly a sight to see. If only more parents were like this. The streets would now be clear. Granted, some loony bins will call what the mother is doing here "child abuse," but I call it taking responsibility.

I'm tired of reading/seeing so many (mainly leftists) justifying the behavior that we're seeing a somehow rationale response to the imagined widespread slaughter of black men by police officers and of not educating the youth. Apart from the fact that we do not know what happened yet to cause the young man's death in Baltimore (an investigation is underway, but these rioters, who are now looting and generally being destructive), the "slaughter/racist" narrative has been disproved time and time again by actual investigations. I'm not saying that all police officers are good, but we owe it to everything decent to see a full investigation be completed before jumping to conclusions. I've said that about the Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, and other cases. I say that about Baltimore.

As for the second part: I'm primarily seeing blacks living in urban settings making the education point, which, as I described above, is a fair point to make. But, on the flip side, why in the heck are these individuals still overwhelmingly supporting a political party with single party rule over these urban centers? A party that continues to block educational choice and reform because they are in bed with teacher's unions that are threatened by such reform efforts? The level of ignorance and stupidity I'm seeing is astounding. Don't keep doing the same thing over and over and expect different results.
This mother is a sure patriot!

Old 04-28-2015, 09:13 PM

509 posts, read 554,167 times
While I'm glad this mom is laying down the law, I have to wonder if she had done this for the previous 15 years, perhaps her son would not have been involved in the first place?

Old 04-28-2015, 09:30 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
How do you know that there is no Dad? This happened in the late afternoon/early evening. It is possible that he was at work
Apparently no dad in the picture according to her interview on CBS today. She said she is a single mother with 5 daughters and one son. She said she had been able to keep him off the streets so far but he is 16 years old and it is getting more difficult. She said she didn't want him to be another Freddie Gray.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:59 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times
As much as I applaud this mother, I can't help but wonder if a dad doing this to his daughter would get the same support. I'd imagine quite the contrary.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:08 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,518,611 times
i think that when she was in the moment, she was raw and genuine, but I wish I would come on tv for white people to praise me in interviews for beating my black son. the people cheering this woman think that that is all the rioters and the protestors need is for their mommas to come whip their butts instead of, you know, justice.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:13 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
As much as I applaud this mother, I can't help but wonder if a dad doing this to his daughter would get the same support. I'd imagine quite the contrary.

I think that if a parent catches their teenager rioting, with anything they do in response, a 2-3 minute moratorium from child abuse prosecution should be universally observed.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:05 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
I think her intention was good, but all she's reinforcing is that violence is how one expresses anger, and how you get your way.

That said, I definitely can't blame the mom for reacting that way. If I had a son/daughter and I found out that they were participating in senseless hate and destruction, I would probably somewhat lose my mind as well. They'd probably be in the first train to boot camp.

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 04-29-2015 at 12:19 AM..

Old 04-29-2015, 12:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,940 times
If it was not for the fact that it was a riot you better believe she would have been locked up for child abuse.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:01 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
While I'm glad this mom is laying down the law, I have to wonder if she had done this for the previous 15 years, perhaps her son would not have been involved in the first place?
Single mother with 6 children and no obvious means to support them. Should be clear enough what she has been up to. Obviously, "put a glove on it" means nothing to this woman.

At this point, slapping her thug son in the head for rioting is too little too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events