U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 03:10 PM

13,981 posts, read 15,972,785 times

Advertisements

Admitting there's a problem is the first step. It is indeed time to get over slavery. Getting over it is not the same as forgetting it but it really isn't why there's so much poverty today. As a group, black immigrants buck the trend. Black immigrants do significantly better here than black natives. The 2nd generation and 1.5th generation declines almost to the level of the native black population. What's interesting is it bifurcates around educational attainment of the first generation. If the first generation was college educated, the second generation, like most second-generation immigrants, does better than their parents.

It's not a simple as the lazy blacks meme but there's something other than the white man keeping blacks down as well. I expect it's something we'll learn a lot more about. Right now the population that is second generation black has largely been ignored since it's such a small group. Most of the attention on the second-generation effect has been focused on Hispanic and Asian population where both groups do significantly better than the first generation.

Last edited by Malloric; 04-28-2015 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 03:10 PM

1,112 posts, read 864,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smart-dumb-kid View Post
I really wish ignorant people didn't hijack my thread. At this rate, I might close it (or request to. Don't know the rules regarding that). People who want to respond legitimately and intelligently, feel free to pm me.

I have too found this out the hard way. And I have tried to close threads, it does not always work. Request it and see if they moderators will close it. If not, you may just have to walk away from it as people fight among themselves. Not everyone that comments on threads are rational.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:11 PM

556 posts, read 467,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Pitchforks are coming..

It's a matter of time that one day these riots will start to creep into middle class and wealthier towns because these riots at poor neighborhoods don't get enough attention.

Get ready folks, one day those towns neighboring poor ones will get hit by looting and rioting.
Won't happen. Police will prevent it.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:12 PM

1,296 posts, read 826,151 times
The best thing about the riots in Baltimore is that they got Bruce Jenner off the front page.

Other than that, they're all slime and deserve to get the thieving skulls cracked.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:12 PM

148 posts, read 107,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
Completely understand what the point the article makes, but I disagree with the actions of the rioters. Burning their own community down was not the answer to the injustices the people have faced.
I agree with you. However, when backed into a corner, there are only so many options to announce their frustration. These riots aren't a new phenomenon, and they don't occur for different reasons. They likely tried peaceful avenues to improve their community, and waited for years for improvement that never came.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:13 PM

1,112 posts, read 864,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
The best thing about the riots in Baltimore is that they got Bruce Jenner off the front page.

Other than that, they're all slime and deserve to get the thieving skulls cracked.
Just as much the wrong approach as to rioting in the first place.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:14 PM

148 posts, read 107,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
I have too found this out the hard way. And I have tried to close threads, it does not always work. Request it and see if they moderators will close it. If not, you may just have to walk away from it as people fight among themselves. Not everyone that comments on threads are rational.
Thanks for the info. I'll take it to heart and try to close the thread now.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:16 PM

26,131 posts, read 18,850,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
Okay, does everyone on this site have trouble reading?

I said a post above mine, not the post above mine. If you scrolled up just a tad more, you would've seen someone linking to an article about Obama putting down the people causing mayhem. In another thread, someone posted that same video and posters were complaining about Obama blaming whites. @_@

Goodness. Understand now???????
uh, ok. you posted a nonsensical response to a post somewhere above yours that linked an article about Obama and someone else in an entirely different thread which also linked that article complained about obama, so you thought your nonsensical response would fit right in here, addressed to no one in particular.

goodness indeed!

Old 04-28-2015, 03:16 PM

615 posts, read 361,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Admitting there's a problem is the first step. It is indeed time to get over slavery. As a group, black immigrants buck the trend. Black immigrants do significantly better here than black natives. The 2nd generation and 1.5th generation declines almost to the level of the native black population. What's interesting is it bifurcates around educational attainment of the first generation. If the first generation was college educated, the second generation like most second-generation immigrants, does better than their parents.
Err... while I don't think blacks should dwell on slavery or hold this generation of white people (who had nothing to do with it) accountable for it, saying "it's time to get over it" is kind of in poor taste, no? :\

Old 04-28-2015, 03:18 PM

6,248 posts, read 5,917,403 times
Everyone has their own theories like it is really deep or something but I suspect the issues are the same as they've always been, with every riot. I really don't understand why people are reading so much into this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or