U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 12:31 PM

148 posts, read 103,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
What do you think about the high levels of black on black violent crime that occur in everyday life?
It's horrible. It took my uncle. I still remembered when I cried when they let his killer go free, just because his buddies gave death threat to the witness, ultimately causing her to flee for her safety and removing the only evidence they had against them. I really wish something was done about it, so such obvious failing in our justice system can't be permitted to exist, but our government prefers to bomb yemen then help the poor people out .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 12:40 PM

15,414 posts, read 8,732,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
At some point people need to step up and take responsibility for themselves and stop being victims. Destroying ones own neighborhood is not going to solve anything. It will make things 10 times worse in the long run. History has shown this with past riots.
That's the problem with no skin in the game. These thugs have been sucking off the government's teat since birth. If it breaks, daddy government steps in and gives them another. They haven't "earned" their own neighborhood, so they don't care about it.

Sad, the folks that have worked to make the neighborhood their own. Being destroyed in a flash by entitled, lazy criminals.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:40 PM

8,107 posts, read 7,116,072 times
I find it fascinating when a city with a black mayor, black councilmen and women, 1/2 of the police force is black is still blaming racism for bad schools and no job opportunities. That's kind of strange considering the schools, I would guess, are primarily run by black people also. And I'm not sure how you can explain to these folks that a city that is as crime infested as it is, is not a great place to put your business. They must think that businesses are charities or something.

And we all know what will happen after these riots. Things will get worse in Baltimore. More businesses will move out along with the homeowners. Maybe they want to keep in competition with Detroit and St. Louis. But this is what happens when the Mayor doesn't let the police stop crime, doesn't care about the safety of innocent people or the private property they own.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:42 PM

8,547 posts, read 5,298,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smart-dumb-kid View Post
It's horrible. It took my uncle. I still remembered when I cried when they let his killer go free, just because his buddies gave death threat to the witness, ultimately causing her to flee for her safety and removing the only evidence they had against them. I really wish something was done about it, so such obvious failing in our justice system can't be permitted to exist, but our government prefers to bomb yemen then help the poor people out .
Why are people not rioting about the black on black violent crime then? Why is all of the rage directed at the police and at white people?

Old 04-28-2015, 12:42 PM

15,414 posts, read 8,732,054 times
Quote:
Billions gone to the poor people, yet nothing has changed.

And it won't until they decide to change it themselves.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Funny you bring up history; It shows that the riots always have the same root causes, Poverty, oppression, lack of opportunity, yet you and other haven't learn one thing from it. How can these people stop being victims when they keep getting victimized? All the jobs got sent overseas, but they're to lazy to work. The police brutalize them, but they're thugs that just hate the police. They don't even have the proper guidance that white Americans enjoy and take for granted which ultimately propelled them to do the great things they do, but blacks are just ignorant. All the capital gets taken out of their neighborhood, which creates jobs, proper schools, nice public facilities and the other conveniences white america enjoy, but nobody in power mentions this. I read an article from the Atlantic that introduced me to the interesting tactic of financial discrimination, which was refusing to loan out to poor black communities so they can't move out (red lining) or simply give them ridiculous deals that will ultimately result in foreclosure that blacks have no choice but to accept if they wanted to escape the horrors of the south ("The case for reparations" This was a tactic employed in Chicago, which is upnorth. What do we call it now? Chiraq). It always surprise me just how in-depth America went in keeping us down, but how incredibly deep they buried this information so it rarely comes back up to educate the general public.
If poverty, oppression and lack of opportunity are the root causes of this then why are we not seeing huge groups of Hispanics or even poor whites rioting in large groups?

Old 04-28-2015, 12:53 PM

615 posts, read 343,028 times
Quote:
That's all I see on this forum regarding race topics honestly. It's really sad just reading the comments, ruins my day in an instant.
Tbh, I think I may just stop coming here. Had no idea people here were so racist.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Your statement above is racist to extreme, you just put the blame on millions of people just because they share a skin color.
It is racist when taken out of context, but what should I refer it to as. A problem caused by the majority of the populace? The people in power? The people who run the show? It really is semantics as all i'm doing is code swapping. If that bothers you, I won't call it that anymore. It just a way I used to refer to the dominant force in this culture.

Quote:
Not a single white person living today was involved with slavery. Moreover, the majority of white people living in the US
today are actually the descendants of people who immigrated here after the abolition of slavery, from countries that had nothing at all to do with slave trade - German states, Poland, Italy, Austria-Hungary, various Slavic states. In fact there's more white Americans of German descent than English. What do they have to do with slavery ?
This is really such a limited scope you locked yourself into. Why does it has to be limited to slavery? I'm not solely speaking of that beast, even though it is important to remember that many of the sentiments that plauge black america today can be traced back to that horrible institution. I'm primarily touching the period after reconstruction. This is when the KKK and the terms like white flight (this is a term coined by historians. Take up any problems with them) and red lining came into play, the defacto, sly racism that persist today. During the 1900s hundreds, Caucasian communities would watch black people get lynched, as it was some kind of show. There is no way racism isn't an isolated problem. It is quite literally embedded in American culture. The question is, how do we weed it out?

Quote:
Actually, given that the slave trade was between white traders and black tribes who caught and sold the members of other tribes in the usual African tribal warfare (before slave trade they would get killed or released), there's a lot of black Americans today whose ancestors were probably benefitting from the slave trade at some point.
Nice to now, but kinda irrelevant. Black selling slaves doesn't really have an effect on what the dominant forces of america do honestly.

Quote:
many groups coming to the U.S. were discriminated against and persecuted, like Jews or Irish, some like the Chinese were at some point subjected to slavery as terrible and what Blacks had experienced - even more brutal since they belonged to companies rather than individual owners
Really? Source? I remember corporations treated chinese as expendable and subjected them to terrible working conditions that caused them to be killed, but they wasn't dragged over here on boats and systematically had the fight, culture and identify beaten out of them. They still had a pillar of family to rely on and many choose to come here for a chance at life (which they found. Asians are one of the most wealthiest ethnicities in this country). Blacks didn't have that luxury of having a family. It was a tactic to break up those families.

Quote:
and their lives were considered essentially disposable.
Missed this part of your post. Glad we are just about on the same page.
Quote:
Yet I don't see Chinese rioting in their ghettos today.
That because the police aren't targeting them, haven't had the same level of cultural disdain that black people has endured, and was actually accepted into white culture. Most importantly, it is because, in general, they're doing absolutely fine. Why riot when you're one of the richest groups in the countries. Blacks, on the otherhand, are one of the poorest.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
Tbh, I think I may just stop coming here. Had no idea people here were so racist.
It is really only the current events and the politics board. The great debates forum keeps the riff raft out, and the other forums don't bring it up race, because they don't care on there.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:05 PM

I mostly feel sorry for the people who live in these communities who are not involved in the violence and who do not condone it and who have to sit back and watch helplessly as their neighborhood gets destroyed by people who are lashing out in an ineffective and destructive manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or