Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 12:35 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,346,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Why are people not rioting about the black on black violent crime then? Why is all of the rage directed at the police and at white people?
That argument is beyond overused at this point. 83% of White homicide victims were murdered by White criminals.

There's plenty of protests and stop the violence vigils that we don't hear about in the media.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/bandwagon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 01:11 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
If poverty, oppression and lack of opportunity are the root causes of this then why are we not seeing huge groups of Hispanics or even poor whites rioting in large groups?
They're all busy trying to make a living.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:22 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,522,788 times
Sorry but was that Obama I heard downplaying the riots in Baltimore? Something about the video of "the same burning building" being repeatedly looped? I believe 15 buildings, some large ones, have been burned (it's called arson, Mr. President, which is a crime) and 150 cars. On top of that widespread looting. So don't blame the media for focusing on that, Obama.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:24 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smart-dumb-kid View Post
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2015/04/b...rest-protests/

With all the negativity surrounding the Baltimore riot, with many seeing it as a way for "thugs " and "hoodrats" to have an opportunity to loot, I think this would be a good article to help put the issue into context.
Thug is code speak.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:31 PM

148 posts, read 131,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Thug is code speak.
That's why I put it in quote, as a way to mock the people saying it.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:39 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,421 times
Quote:
That's why I put it in quote, as a way to mock the people saying it.
I overlooked that. My apologies.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:40 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,143,794 times
I do understand that there of people of Baltimore that are angry, have less opportunities and resources, and have experienced injustices by law enforcement and the system. There is no doubt in my mind. But, truth is, their response was to destroy their own city and cause chaos which in my opinion was shameful. Yes, there were thugs out there looting, stealing, and dancing on cars, and some of them took advantage of this situation. I will not rationalize or condone their behavior, regardless of understanding the root cause.

This is a bit of a rant:

It is frustrating to watch others blame shortcomings in life on race. As a black woman myself, I do not blame any of my failings in life on my race, and neither should anyone else. I have been called dumb, stupid, loser, ******, and told I will never amount to much. I have had a few breaks in life in which I used to better myself. I refused to believe that I had to settle for less because of the color of my skin. My entire family are made up of drug addicts. My father abandoned me, and my mother was absent as well for years. I was raised by my grandmother who taught me what she could. I was partly raised by my grandfather who told me to go to school and made my graduation cap and gown for preschool as he died of lung cancer. I believe this is probably where the majority of my belief to do better for myself came from.

The world is not against us: we are against one another and ourselves. What black people could do is band together to make their communities better. Teach the children values. Get off the welfare system. Get an education. Be more selective in men you choose to have children with. Learn more about the blacks that wanted a better future for them like: Thurgood Marshall, George Washington Carver, Martin Luther King.

I am not saying everyone should be like me, but we have a choice. We can to keep ourselves down, or we can collectively build ourselves up.
All these things are easier said then done. And none of these choices are easy. I put myself through years of college, which was a major sacrifice, have not been on welfare, and chose not to have children out of wedlock. Does this make me better? No, I simply made a choice, and if we teach our children better and lead by example we can strengthen black communities.

Last edited by jabber_wocky; 04-28-2015 at 03:04 PM..

Old 04-28-2015, 01:43 PM

950 posts, read 923,537 times
"JOBS" were mentioned as a solution and another person mentioned who would hire black thugs.

In Minneapolis they started to give training for young blacks.
The first class was .......the importance of showing up for work everyday

Sad that it isn't already " a given" that to get/keep a job you have to at least show up every day.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:03 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,216 times
I am so tired of rioters blaming their behavior on others. If they aren't smart enough to know that burning a senior center to the ground isn't beneficial to seniors needing placement, how can anything of value be instilled in them? Burning down an entire city entitles them to ...what? Our respect? A cushy six-figure job for which they aren't qualified? Any decent jobs they had available to them are now in smoldering ruins. I guess that's societies fault too?

Old 04-28-2015, 02:11 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,887,925 times
Quote:
That's all I see on this forum regarding race topics honestly. It's really sad just reading the comments, ruins my day in an instant.
What were you thinking of when starting this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events