U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:11 AM

11,881 posts, read 10,341,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
Baltimore and Ferguson are both southern cities...
My thoughts exactly. Anyway, it is a fool's errand to try and pin this on one geographic region-this is a nationwide problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
I don't know anyone who considers Baltimore "southern". It seems to have a lot more in common with the northeast than the south. If anything it may be mid Atlantic if you don't want to call it northern but it's certainly not a southern city. Virginia is pretty much the upper limit of the "South", geographically, politically, and culturally. Baltimore isn't even laid out and constructed like the major cities in the south. Maryland has more in common today with the other Mid-Atlantic states of NJ, NY, and PA, than it does with VA, TN, or NC.
Actually mostly everyone in New England and New York considers Maryland to be The South.

It seems it is in Pennsylvania where people start to think that deep Virginia is where the South begins.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:14 AM

3,396 posts, read 6,163,118 times
It doesn't have anything to do with where a city is located, but instead has a lot to do with the population density of a city. If you don't have a lot of people living in close proximity to each other, you are much less likely to get crowds building to a large enough size to start rioting.

Other than a few cities in VA and Florida, there are no cities in the South that break the top 50 for population density, and large cities like Atlanta and Houston don't even break the top 100. They're incredibly spread out, that's why riots occur less frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I will also agree with that story that the transparency of the Charleston police and their quick response in the Walter Scott death likely played a part. Basically got the video, released it, fired the officer, charged him with murder all within 2 days.
It didn't simply "play a part", it is almost entirely the reason that there wasn't a riot over the death.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:21 AM

615 posts, read 361,591 times
As a Baltimorean, I don't really consider Baltimore 'southern,' although I know Maryland is technically a southern state. It's weird, but Baltimore doesn't have much in common with other southern states. At least not to me. But I definitely don't consider it a northern city.

Last edited by LoveMysterious; 04-29-2015 at 09:31 AM..

Old 04-29-2015, 09:25 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,851,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
As a Baltimorean, I don't really consider Baltimore 'southern,' although I know Maryland is technically a southern state. It's weird, but Baltimore doesn't have much in common with other southern states. At least to me. But I definitely don't consider it a northern city.
I guess it's best to call it Mid Atlantic then as I agree it doesn't have much at all in common with the south.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I guess it's best to call it Mid Atlantic then as I agree it doesn't have much at all in common with the south.
Yeah-Baltimore and Philly actually have very similar builds.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:48 AM

17,087 posts, read 9,797,502 times
Quote:
I don't know anyone who considers Baltimore "southern". It seems to have a lot more in common with the northeast than the south. If anything it may be mid Atlantic if you don't want to call it northern but it's certainly not a southern city. Virginia is pretty much the upper limit of the "South", geographically, politically, and culturally. Baltimore isn't even laid out and constructed like the major cities in the south. Maryland has more in common today with the other Mid-Atlantic states of NJ, NY, and PA, than it does with VA, TN, or NC.
I didn't say it was southern, but it's definitely not northern.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:57 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,487,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Actually mostly everyone in New England and New York considers Maryland to be The South.

It seems it is in Pennsylvania where people start to think that deep Virginia is where the South begins.
Yep. MD is south.

Missouri is part of another region entirely. When I think "northerner" I think everything north of MD and east of Ohio. So basically NY, PA, NJ and New England.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:42 AM

12,221 posts, read 17,917,220 times
Please move this thread to the right forum. Why are we discussing on Current events whether Baltimore or Ferguson are southern or not. Because that is what this thread turned out to be by the second post.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:29 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,487,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Please move this thread to the right forum. Why are we discussing on Current events whether Baltimore or Ferguson are southern or not. Because that is what this thread turned out to be by the second post.
When there is an error made in the claim, it is appropriate to correct that error before the conversation continues.

Is rioting a northern thing? No, it is not inherent to being in the north. The examples used were apart of central and southern (arguably) America.

If rioting was a northern thing then examples of NY, PA, CT, NJ, RI, DE, NH, MA, ME etc etc would be used. That's not to say of course that these examples would "prove" anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events