U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2015, 01:26 PM

692 posts, read 964,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
So as long as these areas are less "southern" than they used to be, they are then northern states? What are we saying here?

So I guess if we take millions of New Yorkers and throw them into Mississippi and the state does a 180 complete with "northern" politics and culture we will just call that the "north"?

The south is the south. Doesn't matter how much of it has separated from the old south. If we go by these standards and just keep calling states "northern states" then I suppose the south will just disappear!
OK fine you could use that argument for south florida but not Maryland...Maryland is both culturally and geographically northeastern as hell. I bet most people would have no idea that it was under the mason line anyway.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 01:49 PM

3,556 posts, read 2,327,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
OK fine you could use that argument for south florida but not Maryland...Maryland is both culturally and geographically northeastern as hell. I bet most people would have no idea that it was under the mason line anyway.
Sorry, but I beg to differ and I'm not the only one.

Maryland may not be as southern as the rest of the south by virtue of it simply being too close to the northeast, but it most definitely is outside of the northeastern region.

The US Census puts Maryland in the south.
Maryland had a very high slave population compared to the Northeast
Maryland is below the Mason Dixon
Maryland's own state "song" also references it's declaration of being outside of the north

Quote:
IX
I hear the distant thunder-hum, Maryland!
The Old Line bugle, fife, and drum, Maryland!
She is not dead, nor deaf, nor dumb-
Huzza! She spurns the Northern scum!
She breathes! She burns! She'll come! She'll come! Maryland! My Maryland!

Times have changed, I recognize that, but you simply don't switch regions because you want to no matter how separated the people have become from the rest of the south.

Maryland trying to secede from the south.
Maryland Trying To Secede From The South
Maryland trying to secede from the South | theGrio

I've gone through a 160 page thread where arguments from both sides were presented. It went on forever and the problem is that there's just too much mixed evidence showing Northern and Southern properties. Maryland is officially recognized by the US Census as a southern state, and it's history says that it is a southern state. This is what I said and that's what I'm sticking to, because it is fact.

PS: If it really bothers any of you people from Maryland... call yourselves "Mid-Atlantic" and have a nice day lol

Old 05-01-2015, 01:51 PM

6 posts, read 3,681 times
kinda like lynching is a southern thing and surfing a west coast thing?

Old 05-01-2015, 02:08 PM

241 posts, read 161,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
Baltimore and Ferguson are both southern cities...
I smell a run for president with this one. Lets change regionally identity.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:29 PM

15,688 posts, read 8,782,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
I'm sorry, but as someone who has actually lived there, I could not disagree more. And my husband, who has lived in Alabama, Georgia, Virginia, Florida, Massachussetts, and New Hampshire, agrees with me. You have no idea what you're talking about. Maryland is a border state, otherwise known as a Mid-Atlantic state, and has a character all its own.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:06 PM

44,645 posts, read 43,162,678 times
Something that needs to be considered. Perhaps there were less riots in the South because there were less big cities in the South.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:10 PM

2,336 posts, read 1,661,371 times
Kentucky fans riot, Wisconsin fans celebrate after Badgers pull upset - CBSSports.com

what?

Old 05-23-2015, 02:00 PM

2,108 posts, read 1,989,839 times
Honestly it's hard to tell the panhandle of Maryland from SoLou. Both shrimp gumbo recipes are exactly the same.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:03 PM

1,859 posts, read 2,144,565 times
I have never heard of a riot in the winter in the North!

Old 05-23-2015, 02:57 PM

4,835 posts, read 2,222,661 times
This thread is absolutely dumb! People riot in a community when they feel their is a injustice not because they live in the "North"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events