U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 05:14 AM

1,077 posts, read 649,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Court records examined by the Baltimore Sun show the case had nothing to
do with a car accident or a spine injury. Instead, they are connected to a
lawsuit alleging that Gray and his sister were injured by exposure lead paint.

As children, [Gray] and his two sisters were found to have damaging
lead levels in their blood, which led to multiple educational, behavioral and
medical problems, according to a lawsuit they filed in 2008 against the owner of
a Sandtown-Winchester home they rented for four years.

With so much of
its housing stock predating laws banning lead in paint, Baltimore continues to
wrestle with the after-effects on thousands of children who have inhaled or
ingested the toxic metal.

While the property owner countered in the
suit that other factors could have contributed to the children's deficits
poverty, frequent moves and their mother's drug use, for example
the case was settled before going to trial in 2010. The terms of the
settlement are not public.

Paperwork was filed in December [2014]
allowing Gray and his sister, Fredericka to each collect an $18,000 payment from
Peachtree Settlement Funding, records show. In exchange, Peachtree would have
received a $108,439 annuity that was scheduled to be paid in $602 monthly
installments between 2024 and 2039.
Read more at snopes.com: Freddie Gray Had Spinal Surgery?

Found another article from snopes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 07:16 AM

23,917 posts, read 17,594,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes because low level criminals will break their own back to get out of an arrest. GMAFB
not to get out of an arrest, but to clean up in court.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:52 AM

625 posts, read 440,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
so he deserved to be killed for non violent arrests, some not even convictions, is that what you're trying to say? i agree in that black men should minimize their interactions with cops for their own safety.
I don't care if he'd been arrested 100 times. Seriously. Even if he ran, even if he had a knife, he did not deserve to be injured, brutalized, killed by police whose core objective is to PROTECT & serve. No one should be manhandled that way.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:57 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,488,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
I don't care if he'd been arrested 100 times. Seriously. Even if he ran, even if he had a knife, he did not deserve to be injured, brutalized, killed by police whose core objective is to PROTECT & serve. No one should be manhandled that way.
You are correct, but when has this been proven to have happened in this case???? Oh wait, the investigation isn't over yet and nothing has been released? Please,please,please reveal your sources as to what's been found so far...

Old 04-30-2015, 08:18 AM

625 posts, read 440,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You are correct, but when has this been proven to have happened in this case???? Oh wait, the investigation isn't over yet and nothing has been released? Please,please,please reveal your sources as to what's been found so far...
I agree in that the investigation results haven't been released.

But FG did ask for medical attention and did not receive it in a timely fashion. That is a known fact.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:44 AM

5,941 posts, read 2,495,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
the post i responded to specifically said that in cases like these the "criminals" seem to have priors or run, as if that excuses police brutality. so Tamir Rice was a thug and robber? no, the same lack of training and common sense runs through so many police departments in this country. They are all related.
You specifically mentioned Brown and Martin, which is nowhere near the same. They died while acting out Criminal behavior as thugs. Both self defense. Rice got shot because he was stupid, and its not like he was an infant. He was smart enough to remove the red "Toy" indicator, so he was smart enough to know how to make his gun appear to be real. He succeeded. His fault, same as the other two. If I had a gun and he pointed it toward me, I would have shot him too, in a heart beat.

In this case, there was no criminal act, no reason for any action. To make matters worse, the handling on video is completely unacceptable. the explanations are none existent, and there appears to be a "clutching" at straws to try and explain this in favor of the Police. It appears to everyone, with any common sense, that they are delaying or hiding the real facts, while they dream up a defense. They could have avoided the riots and the unrest, by just being more transparent.

Fact remains, they killed him. Who, why, and how, is the only question left.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:59 AM

27,215 posts, read 11,375,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
not to get out of an arrest, but to clean up in court.
He broke his own back to 'clean up in court'? How might he have done that and what proof do you have? How wait, never mind..you just wanted to say something you thought was clever

Old 04-30-2015, 10:19 AM

Baltimore Police are poised to announce Thursday that they have completed their investigation into the death of Freddie Gray and have turned it over to city prosecutors, according to a source with knowledge of the agency's plans.
After Gray's death April 19, Police Commissioner Anthony W. Batts said that the police investigation would be completed by May 1.
State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby will ultimately determine whether charges will be brought against any of the six suspended officers, and she has not set a timetable for that decision.
Police said Wednesday that no additional information would be released at the conclusion of their investigation. "By turning these documents, our findings over to the state's attorney's office as quickly as we can, we are being accountable to them so that we can be accountable to the public," spokesman Capt. Eric Kowalczyk told reporters.
Officials have already stated that the officers involved in Gray's arrest did not give him timely medical care and did not put him in a seat belt when he was being transported in a police van, a violation of department policy.

Police poised to announce completed Freddie Gray investigation Thursday

Well at least they are going through the motions. Now whatever BPD uncovered it has been turned over to the State attorney.

Facts so far, are BPD were negligent in getting aid to FG and they violated the policy during transport.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:38 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,488,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
Baltimore Police are poised to announce Thursday that they have completed their investigation into the death of Freddie Gray and have turned it over to city prosecutors, according to a source with knowledge of the agency's plans.
After Gray's death April 19, Police Commissioner Anthony W. Batts said that the police investigation would be completed by May 1.
State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby will ultimately determine whether charges will be brought against any of the six suspended officers, and she has not set a timetable for that decision.
Police said Wednesday that no additional information would be released at the conclusion of their investigation. "By turning these documents, our findings over to the state's attorney's office as quickly as we can, we are being accountable to them so that we can be accountable to the public," spokesman Capt. Eric Kowalczyk told reporters.
Officials have already stated that the officers involved in Gray's arrest did not give him timely medical care and did not put him in a seat belt when he was being transported in a police van, a violation of department policy.

Police poised to announce completed Freddie Gray investigation Thursday

Well at least they are going through the motions. Now whatever BPD uncovered it has been turned over to the State attorney.

Facts so far, are BPD were negligent in getting aid to FG and they violated the policy during transport.
Ok, so we've got policy violations that "may" have led to his death "maybe". According to his bail bondsman "he ran because the last couple of times he stood still he caught a case".

I guess he figured he'd try something different this time.
Now given policy violations, if evidence shows he was bouncing himself around in the back of that wagon that would mean HE probably contributed to his own injuries. Think about it, by all accounts he was NOT pleased being arrested again and was not cooperative (fleeing, having to be hog tied etc) and could have had the idea "well, if I'm injured I'll claim the cops did it and get the charges dismissed at the least and a big payday at the most".
Or, they tied him up, tossed him in the back and drove like maniacs to teach him a lesson.
It'll be interesting to see what data the van gives up along with what the other prisoner says. If the other prisoner testifies that the "rough ride" didn't happen along with the slamming noises I'd think any murder charges go away although they will probably get sued for not giving medical treatment in a timely manner.
Will that be enough to settle the aggravated masses? Probably not as I believe most will not believe anything that exonerates "the man"...

Old 04-30-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Ok, so we've got policy violations that "may" have led to his death "maybe". According to his bail bondsman "he ran because the last couple of times he stood still he caught a case".

I guess he figured he'd try something different this time.
Quote:
Now given policy violations, if evidence shows he was bouncing himself around in
the back of that wagon that would mean HE probably contributed to his own
injuries.
Think about it, by all accounts he was NOT pleased being arrested again and was not cooperative (fleeing, having to be hog tied etc) and could have had the idea "well, if I'm injured I'll claim the cops did it and get the charges dismissed at the least and a big payday at the most".
Or, they tied him up, tossed him in the back and drove like maniacs to teach him a lesson.
It'll be interesting to see what data the van gives up along with what the other prisoner says. If the other prisoner testifies that the "rough ride" didn't happen along with the slamming noises I'd think any murder charges go away although they will probably get sued for not giving medical treatment in a timely manner.
Will that be enough to settle the aggravated masses? Probably not as I believe most will not believe anything that exonerates "the man"...

BBM

bouncing himself around or did he bounce around due to not be seatbelted in?

I don't think an 80% severed spine and crushed larynx would happen with bouncing around without a seatbelt.

That's more of an internal decapitation.

Quote:

Internal decapitation, or atlanto-occipital dislocation, occurs when head
trauma separates the skull from the spinal column while leaving the exterior of
the neck intact. According to a 2006 study in the Canadian Journal of Emergency
Medicine, the sensation of instability that results when part or all of the
spinal column is severed in a still-conscious person "may cause patients to
experience the sensation that their 'head is falling off.'"

Because the types of head injury that can cause internal decapitation
usually also involve severe nerve damage or the severing of the spinal cord, the
usual result is paralysis or death.
Woman Survives Rare Internal Decapitation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or