U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 11:44 PM

5,245 posts, read 4,789,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not following you at all.. This from WJLA ABC News 7

Law enforcement sources say Freddie Gray suffered head injury in police transport van | WJLA.com

I think this is the same thing quoted by the Daily Mail article, right?

"Sources said the medical examiner found Gray's catastrophic injury was caused when he slammed into the back of the police transport van, apparently breaking his neck; a head injury he sustained matches a bolt in the back of the van."
Sorry my fault for wording it the way I had, including using the word 'headline'.

The Daily Mail article states..
Quote:
According to ABC's sources, Gray was standing in the van, bent over with his hand cuffed behind his back and his head pointing towards the back door
The source the Daily Mail linked to does not give those particular details, instead the source site says the details are unclear. From the ABC (WJLA) source site that was linked in the Daily Mail story...
Quote:
Details surrounding exactly what caused Gray to slam into the back of the van were unclear. The officer driving the van has yet to give a statement to authorities. It’s also unclear whether Gray’s head injury was voluntary or was a result of some other action.
The Medical Examiner's Office declined to comment on this open investigation and said it does not release preliminary findings.

That was what I was talking about when mentioning that the Daily Mail was ignoring what the M.E. had said and putting their own spin on it. The Daily Mail could be right for all we know, but, the M.E. hadn't commented on exactly what Gray was doing when it happened--other to say that it is "unclear".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 11:52 PM

27,247 posts, read 11,383,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Sorry my fault for wording it the way I had, including using the word 'headline'.

The Daily Mail article states..
The source the Daily Mail linked to does not give those particular details, instead the source site says the details are unclear. From the ABC (WJLA) source site that was linked in the Daily Mail story...

That was what I was talking about when mentioning that the Daily Mail was ignoring what the M.E. had said and putting their own spin on it. The Daily Mail could be right for all we know, but, the M.E. hadn't commented on exactly what Gray was doing when it happened--other to say that it is "unclear".
ok, gotcha..I did think you were talking about the headline. The problem is there are probably a lot of 'anonymous sources' in the Police Dept. and possibly the ME's office who just love to leak stuff to the press and of course they take it and run with it.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:55 PM

38,270 posts, read 15,339,527 times
Quote:
ok, gotcha..I did think you were talking about the headline. The problem is there are probably a lot of 'anonymous sources' in the Police Dept. and possibly the ME's office who just love to leak stuff to the press and of course they take it and run with it.
"Probably"?

You state an opinion not based in any fact. An odd position to take given that you question anything officially stated by officials that doesn't match your version of what happened.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You state an opinion not based in any fact. "Probably" isn't your friend here.
oh geez get over it. I have the right to offer an opinion, in fact that is about what 90% of your posts are- opinions.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:06 AM

38,270 posts, read 15,339,527 times
Quote:
oh geez get over it. I have the right to offer an opinion, in fact that is about what 90% of your posts are- opinions.
I completely support your right to hold and offer opinion. I'm not sure why you would think otherwise.

It's only when you present opinion as fact or to dispute fact where the issue comes in.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:31 AM

5,495 posts, read 6,221,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Suicide? He committed Suicide because why? He committed no crime. So you think he broke/severed his own spine ?

No way. Why the extra stop they made. Why the second stop to "check" on him? , Thet they did not tell their own Department Investigators about the extra stop. Why? They are hiding something we don't know about yet.

What its looking like, more and more, is that the Police killed this man for no reason at all, and now they don't know what to do about it. They are in "MAJOR" Damage Control Mode now.
The bolded part is perplexing. Some friends of the van driver are coming out to speak of the good reputation and kindness of the driver.

The second "passenger" who spoke out and is now back peddling a bit (from at least what has been reported of what he said), should shed more light if the driver was intentionally driving the van to hurt the occupants or not.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:19 AM

1,077 posts, read 650,103 times
Freddie Gray not the first to come out of Baltimore police van with serious injuries

When a handcuffed Freddie Gray was placed in a Baltimore police van on April 12, he was talking and breathing. When the 25-year-old emerged, "he could not talk and he could not breathe," according to one police official, and he died a week later of a spinal injury.

But Gray is not the first person to come out of a Baltimore police wagon with serious injuries.

Relatives of Dondi Johnson Sr., who was left a paraplegic after a 2005 police van ride, won a $7.4 million verdict against police officers. A year earlier, Jeffrey Alston was awarded $39 million by a jury after he became paralyzed from the neck down as the result of a van ride. Others have also received payouts after filing lawsuits.

more
Freddie Gray not the first to come out of Baltimore police van with serious injuries - Baltimore Sun

Quote:

For some, such injuries have been inflicted by what is known as a "rough
ride" — an "unsanctioned technique" in which police vans are driven to cause
"injury or pain" to unbuckled, handcuffed detainees, former city police officer
Charles J. Key testified as an expert five years ago in a lawsuit over Johnson's
subsequent death.

Millions of dollars paid in awards for this unsanctioned police practice, yet it continues.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:07 AM

625 posts, read 440,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
Freddie Gray not the first to come out of Baltimore police van with serious injuries

When a handcuffed Freddie Gray was placed in a Baltimore police van on April 12, he was talking and breathing. When the 25-year-old emerged, "he could not talk and he could not breathe," according to one police official, and he died a week later of a spinal injury.

But Gray is not the first person to come out of a Baltimore police wagon with serious injuries.

Relatives of Dondi Johnson Sr., who was left a paraplegic after a 2005 police van ride, won a $7.4 million verdict against police officers. A year earlier, Jeffrey Alston was awarded $39 million by a jury after he became paralyzed from the neck down as the result of a van ride. Others have also received payouts after filing lawsuits.

more
Freddie Gray not the first to come out of Baltimore police van with serious injuries - Baltimore Sun

Millions of dollars paid in awards for this unsanctioned police practice, yet it continues.
Well, you know, those skills deserve whatever "accident" happens to them during arrest, on the way to the station, whenever… cause if they aren't guilty right now they will be guilty some day of something. This is the creative crime prevention at it's best. KILL them or paralyze them before they can commit crime.

Last edited by BamaBlue; 05-01-2015 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 05-01-2015, 07:53 AM

Here is an interview with Dr. Cyril Wecht, a very well respected forensic pathologist- if you are interested in this case it would be worth watching Forensic pathologist weighs in on Gray death | MSNBC

Old 05-01-2015, 08:04 AM

27,293 posts, read 15,058,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
Well, you know, those skills deserve whatever "accident" happens to them during arrest, on the way to the station, whenever… cause if they aren't guilty right now they will be guilty some day of something. This is the creative crime prevention at it's best. KILL them or paralyze them before they can commit crime.
Move to Afghanistan if this is the society you want to live in. Most of us don't believe in murder as crime prevention.

People that believe like this as just as much a part of the problem. Do the words 'police state' ring any bells with you?

This is how it starts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or